I've used a Marshall MG15cdr (the old mg series, not the new one) as a practice amp for a while now and I need something new since it has broken. I loved the sound from it, as I play 80s hard rock/metal (pretty much everything from Dokken to Savatage).

I decided I wanted to spend $200 on a cheap but workable amp. I also desired something more powerful. I went to GC today and played some amps. I kind of liked the Peavy Vypyr 30 but I didn't get to try the new Marshall MG30fx. The damned gc salesman talked me into the new Marshall. I took it home and plugged it in. It sounded like utter crap. My older MG15 blew it away. It also buzzed really loudly. REALLY LOUDLY. I'm returning it tomorrow and need advise on what else to get.

I really could care less about effects. I just want raw tone and power. The vypyr sounded decent but is complicated. I've heard good and bad things about line 6. I also could get a 65watt fender frontman but I don't think it will cover my hard rock needs.

My current setup is:

1985 Fender Contemp. std. 22 strat with seymour duncan pups and a system I tremolo/locking nut. It's a rock/metal monster.

I use a digitech bad monkey tube overdrive to boost my sound. It works a lot like a tubescreamer does.

Any advice on which amp to get? It has to be $200.

Thanks.
keep it [the bat] in a cage, and right before your next gig starts, and your on stage and everything, bite its head off. AMD MUNCH DEM TINGS DER DOWN!!
Speaking as an old Marshall man, buy the Vypr before you buy the MG. Might be worth having a look at the Bugeras too, just expect to have to have it set up properly by an amp tech. People give mixed opinions on their quality. The Bugera thread in this section is a good place to look/ask for info on those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the help. Like I said, I'm returning the MG. It isn't nearly as good as my old MG.

The peavy really rocked in store, but I don't how it will sound outside of the crazy gc.

I'm just looking for the best 80s metal distortion and overdrive I can get at my pricepoint. It's ashame the new marshalls don't cut it.

The damned gc salesman told me not to go with the peavy but to go with the MG or a line 6. I shouldn't have listened to him.
keep it [the bat] in a cage, and right before your next gig starts, and your on stage and everything, bite its head off. AMD MUNCH DEM TINGS DER DOWN!!
Quote by mockinbyrd
Thanks for the help. Like I said, I'm returning the MG. It isn't nearly as good as my old MG.

The peavy really rocked in store, but I don't how it will sound outside of the crazy gc.

I'm just looking for the best 80s metal distortion and overdrive I can get at my pricepoint. It's ashame the new marshalls don't cut it.

The damned gc salesman told me not to go with the peavy but to go with the MG or a line 6. I shouldn't have listened to him.

yeah i dont anything really about the MG series, except they sound like ass. i have heard the old valvestate Marshalls and the first MG series, they sound bad..but just have a sterile sound imo, but thats just me i guess.

i would def go for the Vypr amp for sure man. they sound pretty good for a modeling amp and easy to use from what ive heard.

also the gc guy who "pushed" the MG on you was prob told to push the new MG line over alot of the other SS amps so that GC could meet a goal or something, i have friends that work at the GC in San Diego and they get told stuff like by managers alot of the time when new stuff gets in..even if it sucks
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Go for the Vypyr. They take pedals pretty well, so you should be fine with using the Bad Monkey on top of it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??