I have a quick and dirty question on Modes (no, it's has nothing to do with knowing/understanding... I do. Well, hopefully )...

I wrote a song in D Major (it's on my profile if you care to listen! Reminiscence/Nostalgia </shameless plug> and it modulates to D Lydian. I know this because the melody takes on the G# as well as every chord of the A Major scale, yet the tonal center is the D. Check if you want.

At the very end, however, the progression goes V7-I to the A Major from E7.

My question is: would I still consider the whole section before the cadence in D Lydian and not just the A Major scale starting on the IV?
well, if the tonal center is D, it's my understanding that it would be considered D lydian. if you were to go by that logic, then most diatonic music would be considered to make use of the major scale.

if, however, the E7 leads to A major, where A major is the tonal center (which i assume to be the case since you refer to the two as V7-I), then that would be A major.

but if the tonal center is D, and you have that G# (and other notes in D lydian, etc.), then, for all intensive purposes, the section before the cadence would, indeed, be D lydian.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by AeolianWolf
if, however, the E7 leads to A major, where A major is the tonal center (which i assume to be the case since you refer to the two as V7-I), then that would be A major.

That's what makes it so confusing... it's only the tonal center at the very end. Not before that.

Quote by AeolianWolf
but if the tonal center is D, and you have that G# (and other notes in D lydian, etc.), then, for all intensive purposes, the section before the cadence would, indeed, be D lydian.

That's what I was thinking too. I just wanted to know if there was another term I could know about, or another thing going on.

If anyone wants the sheet music to check my logic I could get it to them. I just need an email.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've lost half of the sheet music, so it'll do ya' no good.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Dec 20, 2009,
It sounds fairly Lydian around 2:50. I don't see anything wrong with saying its in D Major, then goes to D Lydian, then A major. It sounds that way anyways.
Quote by isaac_bandits
It sounds fairly Lydian around 2:50. I don't see anything wrong with saying its in D Major, then goes to D Lydian, then A major. It sounds that way anyways.

Thank you.

I was just being sure that I wasn't describing it wrong (for myself... I gotta make sure I know what I'm talking about!)