Page 1 of 3
I think it is seriously time that jazz makes a comeback. With all other styles of music starting to repeat themselves and lose some of the essence that makes them unique, the one style that has always demonstrated the highest amount of musicianship and musical understanding is jazz. I think its time we all start to appreciate it the way it used to be appreciated, and I think that in doing so we will gain alot of musicial knowledge. If you have any comments on the subject, please post.
But... I don't enjoy listening to it..
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
But... I don't enjoy listening to it..

your probably not listening to it correctly. developing an ear for jazz is almost as hard as learning how to play it. its not immediate gratification, but if you are consistent with it the pay off is huge.
Discussing whether or not jazz should be more popular is completely pointless. You don't get to dictate how the economics of music popularity should go.

And jazz is fine where it is right now. It's local, it's humble, and it's very much alive.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Discussing whether or not jazz should be more popular is completely pointless. You don't get to dictate how the economics of music popularity should go.

And jazz is fine where it is right now. It's local, it's humble, and it's very much alive.

I believe its going to make a comeback in a very big way. Music runs in cycles.
Quote by Trabo
the one style that has always demonstrated the highest amount of musicianship and musical understanding is jazz.

Lol, nah.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Quote by Trabo
I believe its going to make a comeback in a very big way. Music runs in cycles.

And this observation is based on...?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

She's just a small town girl...
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Trabo
your probably not listening to it correctly. developing an ear for jazz is almost as hard as learning how to play it. its not immediate gratification, but if you are consistent with it the pay off is huge.

i think it's very possible to just plain not like it, dude. the more you push a genre, the less people will like it. and i say this as a fan of jazz.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Trabo

How pretentious.
PM me for newts
Quote by Xiaoxi

the fact that unlike music such as classical, it has been able to evolve consistently with each and every new generation of music. the fact that it is so flexible is whats going to redeem it.
Quote by Trabo

meh, I'd rather listen to music that already like than repeatedly bashing my head into a wall in the hopes that eventually, It will break.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by guitarsftw
i think it's very possible to just plain not like it, dude. the more you push a genre, the less people will like it. and i say this as a fan of jazz.

im not pushing it, im just encouraging people to listen to it with an open mind and an open ear.
Quote by Trabo

Go here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=10&f=30
We'd love to give you a proper flaming.
*reported*
Wrong forum dude.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by guitarsftw

Yeah jazz is like anal sex, if you were forced into it as a child, you'll hate it when you're older. Or something like that.
Jazz has gotten much worse over the years. I mean back in the 20s or whatever, it was just having fun. They reached a musical eclipse in the 50s in the bebop days. Now, it's become total wankery made by a bunch of ****ing tossers with saxaphones.
Quote by Trabo
the fact that unlike music such as classical, it has been able to evolve consistently with each and every new generation of music. the fact that it is so flexible is whats going to redeem it.

I can tell based on this hilariously false claim that not only do you not know classical music, you don't really know jazz. And you don't really have the technical understanding to articulate why jazz music is sometimes complex, but you just want to give the air of listening to a "superior" form of music and having refined taste. Sorry, try harder next time.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Trabo

'Classical' music went through changes for nearly 400 years before nearly all avenues had been explored and the unorthodox writing of the 20th century music took its place. Jazz has been around for less than 100 years. You really should shut up when you have no clue what you're talking about.
PM me for newts
Quote by Trabo
and what if you always enjoyed anal sex as a child...?

Then you should probably tell someone about that...like the police.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I can tell based on this hilariously false claim that not only do you not know classical music, you don't really know jazz. And you don't really have the technical understanding to articulate why jazz music is sometimes complex, but you just want to give the air of listening to a "superior" form of music and having refined taste. Sorry, try harder next time.

and you dont sence any type of superiority at all in this comment? i believe that you sir are a tool, but you can keep pretending your not if it makes you feel better.
i think itd be really cool to have a new jazz scene. its just not gonna happen though. in the 50s and 60s, there were all these great innovators, really legends. now it just seems to be kids and people with skills that anyone could learn easily. its just theory, theres no flavor. its like trying to form a rock band now. i mean, wheres zeppelin or queen, or bowie? you just dont get people who strive to really be creative. thats where jazz can go wrong, if its all based on theory.

edit: the only exception to this post is john frusciante.
Jazz is a broad term...in some places its thriving, while in others not so much. I feel like there hasn't been any great jazz legends lately....
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by StewieSwan
'Classical' music went through changes for nearly 400 years before nearly all avenues had been explored and the unorthodox writing of the 20th century music took its place. Jazz has been around for less than 100 years. You really should shut up when you have no clue what you're talking about.

actually jazz originated from blues, which has its roots in call and response patterns that were used as language in africa for thousands of years.
Quote by Trabo

I was impressed until I saw the drummer's hair. He has a full-out Mullet, brah!!!
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Quote by Trabo
actually jazz originated from blues, which has its roots in call and response patterns that were used as language in africa for thousands of years.

Yea. And I originated from my mother, but that doesn't mean I've been alive for 70 years.
PM me for newts
Quote by None_More_Black
i think itd be really cool to have a new jazz scene. its just not gonna happen though. in the 50s and 60s, there were all these great innovators, really legends. now it just seems to be kids and people with skills that anyone could learn easily. its just theory, theres no flavor. its like trying to form a rock band now. i mean, wheres zeppelin or queen, or bowie? you just dont get people who strive to really be creative. thats where jazz can go wrong, if its all based on theory.

i agree, while theoratically it can become very complex, jazz musicians especially in the 60s were able to make it completely free-form which is extremely interesting because i feel as if they were seperating there brain from the music and replacing it with there mind.
Quote by StewieSwan
Yea. And I originated from my mother, but that doesn't mean I've been alive for 70 years.

no but genetically you are still very tied to your mother and all of her ancestors. i doubt classical music remained the same for 400years, im sure it took influence and evolved over that time period.
Quote by Trabo
no but genetically you are still very tied to your mother and all of her ancestors. i doubt classical music remained the same for 400years, im sure it took influence and evolved over that time period.

That's exactly what I said. YOU are the one that said it's not changing and evolving like jazz is.
PM me for newts
Quote by Trabo

Technically, it wasn't Classical for 400 years. There was the baroque, romantic, and classical periods.
Quote by Trabo
i agree, while theoratically it can become very complex, jazz musicians especially in the 60s were able to make it completely free-form which is extremely interesting because i feel as if they were seperating there brain from the music and replacing it with there mind.

You fool. Learn to spell, please!
Quote by Trabo
and you dont sence any type of superiority at all in this comment? i believe that you sir are a tool, but you can keep pretending your not if it makes you feel better.

I can be a big of a tool as I want as long as I can point out how full of shit people are.

Quote by Trabo

And to deny that classical hasn't had a significant influence in jazz music is laughable and further confirms my speculations about you.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 3