I have a really cheap guitar right now(First Act ME402). It's setup like a Les Paul and sounds okay I guess. I have wanted a Gibson Les Paul but since I'm don't play alot I am thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul. My question is will it really sound so much better that it's worth spending the money on? I know part of it is also the amp though. My guitar and amp cost $150 total. So I know I could get a better amp too. This one has overdrive and a bass and treble knob and that's it. It's a little 15watt Vox amp.

And what's the difference between the different Epiphone Les Paul's? I don't know anything about what are good pickups, what's a good type of wood or anything.

Here's the one's I would consider
Studio
Standard(the one I was thinking of getting)
Standard Plain Top
Standard Plus

Thanks alot
if you dont play alot dont waste your money on a gibson. get the epiphone. but if you want better tone i suggest amp first, regardless of how much you play.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
oh it will probably help to know what music I plan on playing. I play rock and metal such as Tool and Metallica. Any suggestions on a good 15watt amp around $100? I was thinking about a Line 6 spider 3 but the local music store said they quit selling them because he was tired of returning them for repair.
Quote by james3302
oh it will probably help to know what music I plan on playing. I play rock and metal such as Tool and Metallica. Any suggestions on a good 15watt amp around $100? I was thinking about a Line 6 spider 3 but the local music store said they quit selling them because he was tired of returning them for repair.

Yeah don't get that one. You may like it now, but you wont after a while. Please learn from my mistake. In my opinion the Roland Cube 15x sounds much better, but it is all up to you. Go try a million different amps and find one that you really like.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
buy used, go on the musical instrument page on cragislist for your area you can always find great gear for much much cheaper than you will get from over priced guitarcenter.
a better guitar makes all the difference
some are made with a better quality than others
although you can always get a mediumly good guitar and mod the sh*t out of it
new pickups wiring the whole kit and kaboodle
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
They are all the same other than looks.
The studio lacks trap inlays and binding
the regular standard is a solid color
the plain standard has a plain burst on it
the plus standard has a flame burst on it.

Everything else is the same though.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I suggest a new amp first... a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr would be decent for 100 dollars. Also stick with Epiphone; anything above a standard should be decent, though if you can try and go for a Custom.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Yes is does, but like the other billion people on earth would say the amp is more of your concern

Of course it does, so it all comes down to what TS wants to improve the most: tone or playability?

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
I suggest a new amp first... a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr would be decent for 100 dollars. Also stick with Epiphone; anything above a standard should be decent, though if you can try and go for a Custom.

What's different about the custom?
I suggest getting a new guitar. Playing the Epiphone Les Paul and then playing your First Act guitar is like night and day. You will be inspired to play alot more and will want to practice. I'd say thats better than just sounding better.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Right now I cannot afford a guitar or amp. I was just asking but I plan to spend around $600 at most I hope. And i want a Les Paul type guitar.
Well, an Agile Les Paul is usually considered a better value buy than an Epiphone of similar price. I've played Epiphones (Lp100, LP Standard and LP Custom) and none inspired me in any way. Okay I did play a top end Gibson Custom and the rare Slash Limited Issue on the same day, but I have a cheapo LP 12 string that plays better than any of the Epiphones. Maybe my shop had a bad batch in. Maybe your shop will, too.
I have the Roland 15x and it is a nice little practice amp for the sorts of music you said.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I agree that an Agile will be well worth the money. For a metal amp I highly recommend the Peavey Vypyr 30 at $200. It really has the best metal tones for that price, and good effects and cleans. Plus it has the advantage of a 12 inch speaker, which sounds a lot better than an 8 inch one.

A new amp will make you sound better.
A new guitar will feel nicer to play on.

Both will encourage you to play and feel great.
neither sweet water or musicians friend sell Agile guitars. Where would I look at them? I googled and the only thing that came up was reviews.
Quote by james3302
neither sweet water or musicians friend sell Agile guitars. Where would I look at them? I googled and the only thing that came up was reviews.

www.rondomusic.com
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9

This.

/thread
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by Mitochondria9

what is this? first thing I notice is no ability to sort of price or search by brand. Also are all of these just off brand knockoff? I have never heard of any of them.