So pit, just got done watching Inglorious Bastards again (love it) and I had an interesting thought. I was wondering what kids in other countries learned about foreign countries in high school history class. I know that history is undoubtedly subjective to where you're growing up, so i thought hearing other point-of-views would be interesting. Here's a bit what I learned...

England-Everything I learned about England regarded America declaring its independence and/or the church at the time

Germany-WW2, that's pretty much it

Japan-Ya bombed us at Pearl Harbor, we bombed you back

China-Your big and getting bigger, possible threat

Iraq & Afghanistan and or any country that Bush had it out for - Terrorists

Everyone else-nothing really

America-Well, of course we were made out to be the victors in almost everything except Vietnam. The problem is, we put way to much emphasis on how internally segmented we are, with political parties and their issues, rather than putting the effort into learning about how the world came to be what it is.

When I thought about it, I was disappointed. Since I've taken a few college classes, I've been really surprised at the way material was presented to me when I was younger . Its terrible that so many American children are probably taught in a way that pushes stereotypes,profiles, and such rash generalizations of countries and their citizens. Now that I've gotten some unbiased views of some of the worlds history, I'd like to hear what you guys were taught in high school.

(This isn't a hate thread, please post genuine thoughts.)
Also, native americans took care of our land while we were away, it was a peaceful exchange and there was no immoralities or brutal mass slaughters.
I saw Inglorious Basterds today too!

Just needed to say that.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by due 07
Also, native americans took care of our land while we were away, it was a peaceful exchange and there was no immoralities or brutal mass slaughters.

+ this, and people from Africa were kind enough to come (willfully) and tend to our fields from the goodness of their hearts
This thread has also reminded me that my septic tank needs emptied. Thanks TS
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I love the United States of America, so I'm one of those people who's not going to talk shit about it.
Quote by mindup
+ this, and people from Africa were kind enough to come (willfully) and tend to our fields from the goodness of their hearts

Hnest to god, our textbook actually said something very similar to this. It said that America got slaves in return for cargo.
Japanese highschool students are horrificly ignorant when it comes to the rest of the world. We don't learn world history because it's not a required subject... which is really sad.
They say Americans are very naive when it comes to the world, but the Japanese (even the average ones that live in the city) tend to not know more.

I attend an American carriculum school so I've taken AP World and US history, therefore very confident when it comes to that part of the academics.

Based on my knowledge, I find Chinese history to be the most boring and European history the msot interesting...
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
In NZ we learned about the US in a neutral light, because although we recognise their involvement in WWII and such we explored the dark side via the black civil rights topic, which really was quite shocking.

We also learn about Stalin (slightly pointless especially for the exams) and look at out relationship with Britain, being an ex-colony and all. Next year we do Ghandi, which should be very interseting.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
My highschool wasn't THAT bad, atleast for being a small town in the south. I did learn a lot of things I never knew in college though.
Quote by radomu
Japanese highschool students are horrificly ignorant when it comes to the rest of the world. We don't learn world history because it's not a required subject... which is really sad.
They say Americans are very naive when it comes to the world, but the Japanese (even the average ones that live in the city) tend to not know more.

I attend an American carriculum school so I've taken AP World and US history, therefore very confident when it comes to that part of the academics.

Based on my knowledge, I find Chinese history to be the most boring and European history the msot interesting...

There was some video explaining the effects of Japanese history and it showed a textbook that was used at schools in Japan had a huge gap between 1926 to 1945 or something of that time period.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
At my school we don't ever say anything bad about America, except that we're not perfect and we have done some wrong, and since I'm the only grateful kid at my school without the "**** America Mexico is badass" attitude I like America too much to insult it.
Quote by Aussie_Warrior
There was some video explaining the effects of Japanese history and it showed a textbook that was used at schools in Japan had a huge gap between 1926 to 1945 or something of that time period.

That's one of the issues discussed in the Parliament (...it's called the "diet" in this country) right now.

Many conservatives refuse to accept putting historical facts like the Nanjing massacre in textbooks because it "hurts the Japanese status" or they claim it's not true...
Yeah it's a bit dumb, and Japanese textbooks are generally lighter and thinner than American textbooks (because we don't like ****ing reading lol) but they lack being interesting at all.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
I base all of my views on the world off of Team America: World Police

**** YEAH!!!
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
England- independence
Germany- I've got german class so yeahh... Also never actually learned about WWII in history. Ridiculous huh!?
Mexico- fought a war, took their land
US- Lewis and clark, over, and over, and over again. That and the civil war.
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
I think a lot of this depends on the class and teachers themselves to some point. My history classes were usually ap and had teachers that told things straight out how they happened. One of them also happened to be a big-time hispanic (mexican) kind of guy so he'd also slip things in a different point of view.

Another thing to take in consideration is that history is always written from the winner's point of view.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.