Page 1 of 31
The title says it.
It doesn't make sense to me that the United States (most states) among other developed nations doesn't legalize gay marriage...

Inspire me.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
I hate it how people are banning gay marriage. Seriously, gay people should have the right to get married, it doesn't effect us at all. And this kind of goes against what our country is based on. You should be able to beleive, and do as you want, as long as it doesn't harm the common good. Gay marriage doesn't really effect anyone. They should just get over it.
That's because there are no good arguments against gay marriage.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by slipknot5678
I hate it how people are banning gay marriage. Seriously, gay people should have the right to get married, it doesn't effect us at all. And this kind of goes against what our country is based on. You should be able to beleive, and do as you want, as long as it doesn't harm the common good. Gay marriage doesn't really effect anyone. They should just get over it.

+1

If gays get married, how should it affect anyone? It couldn't, it doesn't ruin the institution (if you see marriage as an institution more than a symbolic ceremony, then you're missing the point anyways), and if you are offended by it, then so ****ing what?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
The only people who I see who really want to ban gay marriage are strong homophobics and religious fanatics. Neither of their reasons are very good.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Apparently it lessens the meaning of marriage for those straight couples.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
ima b teh brutalz lulz ima flame teh gayz lulz

There is no argument, except for the christian who said that ''it's again the principle of the mariage'' ou ''they willburn in hell''

need I say more ?
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
It severely f*cks up a ton of legal and economic benefits and records.

That said, I don't mind if gays/lesbians get married.
Quote by StewieSwan
Is it debate night in the pit or what?

I'll later make a thread about healthcare and how Obama is screwing up
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
It is impossible, in any way, to be able to reproduce/repopulate human beings if two of the same gender are able to marry. We cannot let our species die off the face of the earth, so (in my opinion) I believe it is a matter of producing offspring.

That and we can't let a bunch of drunk straight dudes go around and say "Oh dude! We should get married for the hell of it, cause it'll be so freaking funny!"

Edit: (That being said, I am neither for nor against the idea of "gay marriage". I am just stating my opinion.)
Last edited by Harlot Hero at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by fail

Well **** them (in case you're wondering, I am straight). This kind of goes with religous freedom. I know this isn't religion, but the church is supposed to be seperated from the state, and the people banning this are mostly church leaders. As long as it doesn't harm anyone, but they should be able to practice gay marriage freely, the same way any religous can practice their beleifs.
Quote by fail

Ever saw the american DIVORCE RATE?

yeah, right.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Harlot Hero
It is impossible, in any way, to be able to reproduce/repopulate human beings if two of the same gender are able to marry. We cannot let our species die off the face of the earth, so (in my opinion) I belive it is a matter of producing offspring.

That and we can't let a bunch of drunk straight dudes go around and say "Oh dude! We should get married for the hell of it, cause it'll be so freaking funny!"

And you need to be married to have children because...? Also, there are way too fucking many of us already. We need to worry more about population control than repopulation.

And what's to stop a drunk dude and a drunk girl from carrying out that plan as it is?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by slipknot5678
Well **** them (in case you're wondering, I am straight). This kind of goes with religous freedom. I know this isn't religion, but the church is supposed to be seperated from the state, and the people banning this are mostly church leaders. As long as it doesn't harm anyone, but they should be able to practice gay marriage freely, the same way any religous can practice their beleifs.

I feel you're looking at it the wrong way. Church and state ARE separated in the sense that the state can't force the church to wed a gay couple.

It's not the church's fault at all that the state chooses not to recognize a gay union.
Quote by MLilienthal
god hates gays lol

Even though I think you are joking, that's what pisses me off. That's why they ban it, but the church isn't supposed to interfere with the government.
Marriage is still marriage. I for one don't care who marries who because it's really not that big of a deal. People who make it a big deal are afraid of something...
Dave Mustaine for president.
DECAPITATED

R.I.P Vitek
Quote by slipknot5678
Even though I think you are joking, that's what pisses me off. That's why they ban it, but the church isn't supposed to interfere with the government.

Yeah exactly
Quote by Harlot Hero
It is impossible, in any way, to be able to reproduce/repopulate human beings if two of the same gender are able to marry. We cannot let our species die off the face of the earth, so (in my opinion) I believe it is a matter of producing offspring.

Edit: (That being said, I am neither for nor against the idea of "gay marriage". I am just stating my opinion.)

Yeees, because when gay marriage goes legal, all straight people suddenly turn gay and marry other straight people who also turned gay
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by Harlot Hero

If gays are not allowed to marry because they can't reproduce...then shouldn't couples who are infertile not get married? Because many catholics say that you must wait until marriage until you have sex...and you have sex to have babies...so infertile couples should automatically get divorced cause the only reason to be married is to have babies..(same goes with elderly people)
And the world is already overpopulated~ Why do we NEED more children in the world, when most of the time, they are given up for adoption or end up in foster care...Or even end up in financially unstable situations?
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

I got soul but I'm not a soldier...
the best arguement I've heard is that while they aren't against people being gay, they don't want to ruin a sacred institution (marriage) which has been that way for thousands of years. I know I don't want it too!
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
Let's look at this religiously ('cause I'm technically a Christian).

Really, does God actually care if people become gay? Yes it says in the Bible that gays "have no place in the kingdom of God" in 1 Corinthians, but really, isn't His greatest commandment "love thy neighbor as yourself"? Isn't God love?

Christians, like the Westbro Baptist Church and other Fundamentalist organizations, that openly protest against Gays is totally missing the point of Christianity. We're supposed to have a relationship with God and Christ...
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Also

It is a CIVIL UNION we are talking about...a civil union by the GOVERNMENT, not the church. The government CANNOT force the church to sanction a gay union.
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

I got soul but I'm not a soldier...
Quote by colt34
the best arguement I've heard is that while they aren't against people being gay, they don't want to ruin a sacred institution (marriage) which has been that way for thousands of years. I know I don't want it too!

Funnily, the Ancient Greeks relished homosexuality and marriage obviously isn't a Christian tradition...
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by direngrey680
If gays are not allowed to marry because they can't reproduce...then shouldn't couples who are infertile not get married? Because many catholics say that you must wait until marriage until you have sex...and you have sex to have babies...so infertile couples should automatically get divorced cause the only reason to be married is to have babies..(same goes with elderly people)
And the world is already overpopulated~ Why do we NEED more children in the world, when most of the time, they are given up for adoption or end up in foster care...Or even end up in financially unstable situations?

I agree that being forced to not be able to marry in those situations is stupid (assuming you were being sarcstic). For the over population thing, I think we should put a limit on how many kids we can have. If the death rate is higher than the birth rate for a while things won't be so ****ing crowded.
Quote by radomu

Really, does God actually care if people become gay? Yes it says in the Bible that gays "have no place in the kingdom of God" in 1 Corinthians, but really, isn't His greatest commandment "love thy neighbor as yourself"? Isn't God love?

Christians, like the Westbro Baptist Church and other Fundamentalist organizations, that openly protest against Gays is totally missing the point of Christianity. We're supposed to have a relationship with God and Christ...

One could make the complete opposite case quoting the very same bible. God destroyed two entire cities because they were so gay.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by slipknot5678
I agree that being forced to not be able to marry in those situations is stupid (assuming you were being sarcstic). For the over population thing, I think we should put a limit on how many kids we can have. If the death rate is higher than the birth rate for a while things won't be so ****ing crowded.

I don't think we need to put any limits in childbirth, unless it's Nigeria, China, India, and other parts of the world where birthrates are rising furiously...
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
I don't think we need to put any limits in childbirth, unless it's Nigeria, China, India, and other parts of the world where birthrates are rising furiously...

I hate to say it, but the US is heading in that direction. We just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
Quote by StewieSwan
One could make the complete opposite case quoting the very same bible. God destroyed two entire cities because they were so gay.

Yup, Sodom and Gomorrah.

I love God but I have to admit it as a Christian, the Bible makes contradictory statements far too many times.
I think we should follow the side that advocates freedom and justice
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu

Christianity and Christ-centric religions are not religions. They were at some point, but now they are massive burdens and scapegoats. The entire point has been missed altogether, not just as far as gays are concerned.

Anyway, I dont think gay marriage should be legal.
Because I dont think marriage should be legal. Get married, stay single, whatever. It should be none of the church's or governments concern.

BENJEDIT: People who say "the bible says so" are just insane, dangerous and stupid. There should not even be a question as to whether the bible is true. It is a book, a standalone document with no supplementary evidence, containing more magic and heebie jeebies than Harry Potter.
...In my opinion.
Last edited by Benjibum2nd at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by slipknot5678
For the over population thing, I think we should put a limit on how many kids we can have. If the death rate is higher than the birth rate for a while things won't be so ****ing crowded.

Din´t work out quite well.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by colt34

That's a terrible argument. Appeal to tradition is a fallacy.
Quote by slipknot5678
I hate to say it, but the US is heading in that direction. We just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

If that's true than the US government should seriously think about creating attractive cities in the Great Plains
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by colt34

The great grandfathers of the people making that argument made the same one about inter-racial marriage? Did it ruin the institution? No.
Two loving people getting married won't ruin it, all the Straight people getting married for money etc has done that already.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by DeadlyIllness
The majority of people do not want gay marriage, there is your arguement.

says who?? if you make a statement like that you better got some evidence
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by Benjibum2nd
Christianity and Christ-centric religions are not religions. They were at some point, but now they are massive burdens and scapegoats. The entire point has been missed altogether, not just as far as gays are concerned.

Anyway, I dont think gay marriage should be legal.
Because I dont think marriage should be legal. Get married, stay single, whatever. It should be none of the church's or governments concern.

the majority of the world by far doesn't agree with that anyways
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron