I really really enjoy music. However, lately I've been wanting to compose stuff write my own songs and I find myself unable to do so.

One thing that Ive noticed about my personality, its that Im a completely stoic person. The world could be crumbling around me ana I feel nothing.

My grandfather, also a musician, told me once that when his mother was just about to die, he wrote a song, a full song, with lyrics in 12 minutes and played and sang it to her just before she died. He drew inspiration from the event and the song is beautiful and unique.

I wish I had that but I just dont.

Also, I have a horrible 'ear', I cant figure anything out by ear. My problems have never been technical, I can basically learn a difficult song or passage quickly, I have natural dexterity for the isntrument, but no other musical talent.

Ive been playing on and off since I was 5, Im now 22. (Its 17 years, but take 10 off of that due to video games, masturbation and general time wasting).
Last edited by zguitarmaster at Dec 20, 2009,
Im in the same boat as you, Im pretty stoic, so I'd love to hear what people have to say about this
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
If you're good technically...considering being a studio/session musician. let other people write and you can just make it better.

or be a producer/engineer. thats what i chose. I'm not bad, but I know i'll never get anywhere on my own so i'm getting a degree while still practicing...this way i can either play for someone else in my studio, record someone else in my studio, or record with my band of the time in my studio.

any way it works out...it'll bring you money, you're surrounded by music, and it doesn't revolve around you being the creative one, while still making you a success and happy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
My advice to you is to get a guitar you really love. Crank that shit up, until that sound is all you know, and it is the most beautiful thing in the world, and create. let loose, go crazy. make all you know that sound, and put every single ounce of energy in your body into it. you'll find that you play some unexpected things in situations like those, when the music just engulfs you. this won't necessarily make you a a better songwriter, but it will inspire you, and it will show you what you can do. it works for me, i'm not sure how well it will for you, but try it.
hmmm im in the exact same spot as the OP, cept for being 16 with 2 years experience lol
well you shouldnt give up an that just becaus eof the bad ear and the not feeling anything just stop bottling you emotions in your self let it out through the instrument it also helps to know a little theory but if you enjoy it there no reason to give it up
I think the answer is pretty simple dude. Continue if you enjoy it. That's really all. You can choose how much "work" you want to put into it. I'm an amateur guitar player and I will remains as such if I devote myself to other trades. But I love picking up my guitar once in a while, warming up my fingers and getting some metal covers done. I don't plan on putting my Schecter C1 in the closet because I can't pull off sweeps. I just say "wow I really wish I could do that", and listen to it instead while I keep going to college and work my job, since those two things come first.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Dec 20, 2009,
When it comes to song writing, emotion isn't a necessity; it's an inspiration. Draw from whatever you can, even if you can't draw from someone's death. You love masturbating, it seems, so write songs about masturbation. A Perfect Circle did.
I have troubles with it too. For me what really helped was picking up some software to make drum tracks with and jamming along...just trying to lay something down (guitar). It's not a cheap fix but honestly it helped....a lot. Now that I'm getting comfortable with simply letting things fly I try to use what I create on the spot and apply it to a situation. I think the situation through, the emotion, sights, sense, whatever and wouldn't you know, something starts to click and suddenly I'm nearly composing something....it's cool as hell. I'm pretty stoic too....six years in the military (and counting) and time down range will do that to you and shut you off from some things. This method forced me to at least open up with the music even if I don't say shit to anyone or nobody understands the music....it's just for me so far. Anyways, that's how I overcome the obstacle and it's a work in progress. With music being as incredible as it is, it's really helpful to have that outlet and finding a way to tap into what makes you "tick" might be what you need.
Quote by iforgot120
When it comes to song writing, emotion isn't a necessity; it's an inspiration. Draw from whatever you can, even if you can't draw from someone's death. You love masturbating, it seems, so write songs about masturbation. A Perfect Circle did.

Yeah, but Maynard James Keenan is also a worship-level genius when it comes to writing. I could probably piss in a bottle of his whine and dump it over his head and he'd be able to write a song about it that would reach #1 on the rock charts.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Composition is a skill that takes time to learn. You've been playing guitar for 17 years, not practicing/studying composition. Don't expect to be brilliant immediately.
Quote by HardAttack
Yeah, but Maynard James Keenan is also a worship-level genius when it comes to writing. I could probably piss in a bottle of his whine and dump it over his head and he'd be able to write a song about it that would reach #1 on the rock charts.

Okay, well, yeah but we're trying to motivate each other here, not tell OP he's terrible compared to MJK.
Quote by zguitarmaster
I really really enjoy music. However, lately I've been wanting to compose stuff write my own songs and I find myself unable to do so.

One thing that Ive noticed about my personality, its that Im a completely stoic person. The world could be crumbling around me ana I feel nothing.

My grandfather, also a musician, told me once that when his mother was just about to die, he wrote a song, a full song, with lyrics in 12 minutes and played and sang it to her just before she died. He drew inspiration from the event and the song is beautiful and unique.

Also, I have a horrible 'ear', I cant figure anything out by ear. My problems have never been technical, I can basically learn a difficult song or passage quickly, I have natural dexterity for the isntrument, but no other musical talent.

Ive been playing on and off since I was 5, Im now 22. (Its 17 years, but take 10 off of that due to video games, masturbation and general time wasting).

just a personal story for what it's worth. I was 23, just graduated with a degree in Applied Physics, had a full scholarship to grad school. Had not touched a musical instrument since I was 12 maybe.

That summer John Densmore published his autobiography "Riders on the Storm" and for some reason it did some thing. Suddenly the only thing I wanted in life was to play in a band which is nuts since I didn't play an instrument anymore. I mean like insane.

It was not an easy matter to decide but eventually I dropped grad school and went to community college to study jazz guitar, got a job pulling telecomm cable and was a happier than in grad school.

There's a saying you don't choose to be a musician, that the decision is already made. And I would probably think this was a lot of BS if it did not happen personally to me.

That's like the most irrational and crazy thing to think or want; but when it hits, there really is no other choice.

Well, it seems I made the right choice in the long run. I do seem to have some natural talent (I played my first solo after 2 years). And job experience and other events seemed to have worked out for the best.

This is not meant as advice, it's just a true story. You normally don't drop grad school (paid no less) to pick up the guitar at that age. Me, I couldn't help it....
If you like it don't stop. Honestly, I think you're trying too hard to write songs.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I think you're trying to make sense in music. There isn't any.

Just hit the notes that sound good and I know you can hear that. That's all you need.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by zguitarmaster
Should I give up on being a musician?
Maybe. Let's see what else you wrote...

Quote by zguitarmaster
I really really enjoy music.
Definitely not a reason to give up on being a musician.

Quote by zguitarmaster
However, lately I've been wanting to compose stuff write my own songs and I find myself unable to do so.
Doesn't sound like a reason to give up on being a musician, either. Some successful musicians write very little. Some not at all. Their focus is on performing.

And maybe you'll be inspired to write as time goes on. Who knows?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by freakstylez
Good music isn't made; it's found.
Don't sail your ship too far out in the ocean looking for it, though.
You might fall of the edge of the earth.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by freakstylez
Good music isn't made; it's found.

I call it being possessed by the Muse. I have no clue what I'm doing or what's going on.

Somehow a bunch of unrelated things come together and it just clicks like that. And I know I had very little to do except be at the right place/time and open mind.

Don't give up on being a musician.

I was once in a similar situation where I couldn't really write my own songs, I became a lot more musically free (and a better guitar player) once I met a bass player who I connected with strongly on a musical level. I got a better sense of what my musical style was, and I learned how to express ideas musically through that style. Find out what your talents as a musician are and pursue them. Everyone has faults, but you have to work through them.
I think he's talking about composing.... personally, I have the same problem. I listen to tons of music, but struggle to compose anything. and personally I too have a horrible ear, as in, I can't seem to be able to tab out songs... and sadly this is causing me to lose interest in the guitar, as i'm tired of everytime going to UG.com for tabs..... and weirdly enough, i again have very good dexeterity and am able to pick up tabs very quickly.........

and the most irritating thing is I have friends, who just pick up the instrument, and come up with such cool stuff!! Damn it!!
"Never give up on your music, because when all else fails, it's the one thing you can turn to" or something like that.

If you like music, and you like playing it, then DON'T GIVE UP. Some of my best friends are freakin amazing musicians (mainly at pianists, vocalists, mallet percussionists, others) and they claim that they've written maybe one song during their entire time as musicians (which is since around 5th grade, and they're in 10th and 11th grade now) and they say that it was terrible. They still play their instrument(s) better than I play mine. Being an excellent composer doesn't necessarily make you a great musician.

I'm kinda half and half; I enjoy playing in school-like jazz bands where someone hands us music, and we learn it. I also enjoy writing my own stuff, but it doesn't come to me as rapidly and as well as it does to my cousin who plays guitar/sings.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by zguitarmaster

well stoic doesnt mean you have no emotions. it means you dont display them first of all. second, not all musicians write their own lyrics. some are great players and/or singers but not great songwriters. sometimes people are good at wirting songs and suck at playing music or singing. you could always be a lead guitar player in a band or something. you could write instrumentals as well.

if you seriously have wasted that much time, im not surprised you cant do much by ear. you need to practice that as much as anything else. if you dont do it, dont expect to be able to do it. just keep trying and it will come to you. same with songwriting. how much have you actually done? people can write songs fast when they have been doing it for a long time.

plus if you enjoy playing, keep doing it. you dont have to be able to write your own songs. sure it would be nice but some people just play covers and have fun with it.
I'm 33 and have been playing since I was 15. Everybody in my family as well as my friends all seems to agree that I have awesome skill with guitar, and I even took classical guitar and music theory after I graduated High School.

Since then I have been in only about 4 bands, one of which is still going. My wife gives me shit sometimes because this band doesn't seem to go anywhere, but we are making very slow progress. In that time I have often though about just giving it up and calling it a "hobby" but the fact is I'll never stop playing nor do I want to.

I'm a rather stoic person myself and an introvert so I tend to be anti-social, but there is a need to network and find session gigs. My drummer has recently been offering me session work with projects he's involved in because he networks like crazy.

Anyway, chances are if you love playing your instrument or making music in any way, don't give it up entirely. I may never be famous or even have a full-time career in music, but I'm still going to play and be in bands, and record as much as I possibly can for as long as I can. And as soon as I can afford to, collect guitars like crazy!!
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
To the OP:

Sometimes not feeling much when the world crumbles around you isn't such a bad thing...

Try to evaluate why you play music at all. Is it to play live and feel the roar of the crowd? Is it to share ideas inside of you that are invaluable to the listening world? Is it to make rock star money and live the rock star lifestyle? Is it simply to score with chicks 'cause playing sports wasn't your thing?

All could be reasons, and each no less valid a motivation than the next. Consider what is truly your goal, decide if it is reasonable and achievable, and be honest if playing/writing music is the only means to achieve it.

Dude, I'm 40. Wife, kids, bills, mortgage, etc... There are 15 year old kids on these forums who have more natural ability in their hair folicles than I'll probably ever have. But I am currently in the best place musically that I've ever been. I play in a band that has gigged rarely, jams a few hours once a week, and I record some of my own stuff once in a while that doesn't really impact anyone's life other than my own. It's all good to me. That's because it's just for my enjoyment - I do other things to pay the bills.

I love playing 80's hair metal, and doing cover stuff. I love the accessibility of tabs, learning new songs, and getting my aggressions out through music. I've been called a musical sellout by a good friend (incidentally, he was a huge Tool fan), but that's who I am and I'm OK with it.

Once you figure out how to be OK with yourself, then figure out where music fits. And unlike a girlfriend, music will always welcome you back if you have to take a break from the relationship.