When buying a guitar Cable/Cord, what exactly should I be looking for? I'm looking for something that won't give me any noise I don't put through it, but does it really matter, or are they all the same?

EDIT: I am not looking a cable to withstand heavy gigs, but just one that is good quality and doesn't make my guitar sound bad.
Last edited by ]V[egadet]-[ at Dec 20, 2009,
for beginners, just get an "instrument cable" with a 1/4" output on both sides of the cable. for beginners, 10 feet of cable should be nice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Buy shielded cables so your cables aren’t picking up external noise. You don’t need the expensive Monster cables, just regular cheap shielded cables.
i prefer right angle jacks
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
I have Monster because they sound great but most importantly, have the full life time warranty.
Quote by )(yperX
I have Monster because they sound great but most importantly, have the full life time warranty.

This is definitely something to take into account when buying an expensive cable. It might cost you a few bucks now but that's one cable you will ALWAYS have.
Quote by )(yperX

For the cost of one Monster Cable I can get three of the same cables and a soldering iron that will allow me to fix connector problems in less time than it would take to get Monster warranty service on the phone.
lmao. You just walk into any place that sells Monster cables and they'll replace it on the spot.
count another vote for planet waves,
decent reliable cords,
for pricier brands you're paying for tiny differences
stargazing

fender mexican strat > carol ann tucana 2 > mongotone 2x10
for $50 I made: 12' instrument cable with noiseless connector, 3x4.5' cables, 5 patch cables. All wire is canare g-6, which is as good or better than mogami (which runs $50 for a 10foot cable with regular connectors).
Especially if you need multiple cables&/or patch cables, look into diy. Patch cables cost $2-3 if you make them and are better quality than the $7-8 ones.
JVM 410H
Blackstar HT5c
Jackson KV5FR
ESP LTD H-302