So i just went to a guitar store yesterday to buy my first amp. I was looking for a low wattage (around 20W) that I could play in my home.

I was shown a marshall mg 15W that was 120 euros.

Then another salesman came along a showed me a 1 year used amp. It was a line 6 spider III 120 W which apparently originally cost over 500 euros and just had a few scratches on it. He was willing to give it to me for 200. So we plugged it in tried out all the features and it sounded really good and has a lot more gadgets and things to mess around with than the cheaper amp.

So in the end I walked away with an amp that was 100 W more than what I was looking for and only a little bit more expensive. Ive been told that the amp is more important than the guitar so next i guess ill have to be upgrading my guitar.

Hopefully it wasnt a bad deal. So far Im happy with it though.
Quote by A Tua Prima

Hopefully it wasnt a bad deal. So far Im happy with it though.

It was. You will dislike the Spider very soon. It sounds better than the MG, but you should have compared it to some other amps first. Especially in the 20W range you were looking for, you could have found way better amps for 200.
obvious troll is troll

Unless you aren't a troll, in that case,
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
obvious troll is troll

Unless you aren't a troll, in that case,

+1
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
well these arent really the responses i was hoping for. what is wrong with the amp?

and what the hell is trolling?
MG's and Spiders get no love around here . Personally I like the spider for practising only, I would never gig with it. Not the best but it's not bad. anyway HNAD hope You enjoy it.
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Everyone calm down, i don't think he's trolling.

He is Portuguese like me, and here in Portugal the instrument shop people are always trying to sell you Marshall MGs, Line 6 Spiders, and other low-quality stuff like that.

If you don't know anything about equipment, you WILL get ripped off here.

Just yesterday, when i went to a store to buy a 3-guitar stand, a kid was trying the cheapest Cort guitar they had there, and the store owner was telling him and his parent:
"This is a guitar that will last your lifetime. You won't want another guitar ever."

Rapaz, foste enganado. Tenho muita pena, mas é mesmo assim.
O Marshall MG não é grande coisa, e o Line 6 que te venderam não é melhor.
Mais watts não significa melhor.

Melhor sorte para a próxima...

EDIT: actually, if you don't know anything about equipment, you will get ripped off. Period.
Salesmen will rip you off anywhere, if you're not sure about what you're doing.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by A Tua Prima
Ive been told that the amp is more important than the guitar so next i guess ill have to be upgrading my guitar.

I ****ing LOL'D so hard.

He can haz lolstack.
There is a reason the spider amps sell for so little especially a used one. Just think of the economics of your statement 'I could buy a 20w amp for 150 or 100w for 200'. More features and power for little money is not going to equal quality. Its not going to just be where the TS lives any retailer in the US is gonna push MGs and spiders as hard as they can. There was a store near me that they only carried spiders as he made so much money on them, as he said other amps would cut into his profits.

TS if you can take the amp back to the store as soon as possible. As its a year old 1 of its many electric gremlins will soon reveal itself. Once a spider thats out of warranty starts having electric problems they become door stops really quick. Its not just the reliability of spiders thats the issue unless you like playing death metal on the insane setting they are about worthless for any other genre.
Quote by Wiintruder
MG's and Spiders get no love around here . Personally I like the spider for practising only, I would never gig with it. Not the best but it's not bad. anyway HNAD hope You enjoy it.

How come? Because it sounds like crap and you dont want to get booed off stage?

People who practice on a litte crapy amp and then gig and record with a high quality amp.... that makes sense.

But for people who are only bedroom players, its kinda stupid to have a bad sounding "practice" amp, when all you do is practice.

hnad
You could have gotton TWO of these.

Or one of those, and a very nice overdrive pedal.

Or this for a little more!

Or this.

Come on, you could have even gotton THIS!

EDIT: Notice these are all tube amps..
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
hmmm...
well, at least it seems that people think it is better than the mg...
btw i didn't buy it because it had more wattage.

and is just my first amp, first electrical guitar and everything although i have been playing acoustic for a while.

its not like ill be playing in concerts any time soon its just for fooling around with.
you guys obviously have very strong opinions about this but not one of you is telling me why its a bad amp and whats wrong with it.
and how may of you have actually played one just for the record? or is it just popular to slash on line 6 spiders and mgs?
It's not a good amp because the sound that it produces tends to be of lower quality than that of other amps in the same price range. It has a lot of effects, but that amp is really a jack of all trades, master of none. Most people would prefer to have an amp that does one thing really well, than lots of things poorly.

Furthermore, the spider series is known to have reliability issues after a year or two, and thus, buying a used one is a crapshoot.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by A Tua Prima
So far Im happy with it though.

That's all that matters. If your happy with it then good for you.
There are more reliability issues than can be listed here. So maybe you got lucky and the last owner just wanted an upgrade, but in many cases people trade the big spiders in when they start doing weird things but havent completely quit. Repair will be expensive and will only fix one of its gremlins.

As for being better than a MG thats relative. The MG is pretty much junk so it wouldnt take much to be better than the MG. On the junk scale a MG is 10 the spider is 9.5.

But you wont find many on here who will recommend any of the spiders maybe the small ones, 15 to 30w. But not the big ones.

Another big problem w spiders is to access, with out reaching over to move a knob, the features on the amp you really need the dedicated FBV footswitch. The basic FBV is 30$US the big one is actually more than your amp cost.

And you will find that any pedals you might have will react very badly with the modelling in the spider.
Seriously, if you still have the chance, take it back. You really don't need 100watts for home practising, and you don't want a Spider.

If you take it back, post here and we will tell you to get something that will last you a long time and you will be happy with, even when your "ear for tone" develops.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Seriously, if you still have the chance, take it back. You really don't need 100watts for home practising, and you don't want a Spider.

If you take it back, post here and we will tell you to get something that will last you a long time and you will be happy with, even when your "ear for tone" develops.

This.

On a side note to you LPE for offering actual advice instead of flaming him.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by A Tua Prima
and how may of you have actually played one just for the record? or is it just popular to slash on line 6 spiders and mgs?

I've played both Spiders and MGs, and even the new MG line.

The MG series is just an excuse for Marshall to gain more money by putting their famous name on low-quality amps.
Even the AVT series sounds a little iffy to me.

Line 6 Spiders are unreliable and the sound quality is bad (and i'm sugarcoating it).

Punx_Rox showed lots of nice suggestions.
Not so good if you want to play some kind of über-extreme metal, but even so.
LezPaulEpiphone's advice was also very good.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
You probably would have been much happier with a peavey vypyr for a beginners amp. IT has more amp models, all of which are of a better quality than the spiders. It has more effects models, all of which are better than the spiders. It has a looper if you buy the footpedal, the spider does not. Also it costs around the same price.
Quote by Linkerman
I've played both Spiders and MGs, and even the new MG line.

The MG series is just an excuse for Marshall to gain more money by putting their famous name on low-quality amps.
Even the AVT series sounds a little iffy to me.

Line 6 Spiders are unreliable and the sound quality is bad (and i'm sugarcoating it).

Punx_Rox showed lots of nice suggestions.
Not so good if you want to play some kind of über-extreme metal, but even so.
LezPaulEpiphone's advice was also very good.

Yeah Im not sure what the AVT is supposed to do, but my roommate has one and it sounds like an MG to me
Also I wouldn't suggest a beginner getting a tube amp. In fact I'm sick and tired or UG spouting that sh*t ALL THE TIME to beginners. I bought a spider III as my first upgrade, and I'm really glad I did. Fair enough the above statement just said how poor it was compared to the vypyr but that wasnt out when i started. A beginner tends to get exited with all the things they get to play with on a modelling amp, trying different amps and effects is key to see where you want your own personal tone to go in the future. A beginner, half the time, would get bored of a tube amp in about 3 months, regardless of how good the tone is.

Don't mean to generalise but it's just how i feel.