I'm considering buying a Carvin pretty soon. Designing the guitar really attracts me... Anyway...

1) The C22 pickups are active, right?

2) I'm considering the ST300 or DC400 and they have active/passive push-pull controls. If I put EMG 81 and 85's in the guitar, what would the active/passive even do?

Sorry for being so guitar illiterate. I just have no idea how passive/active switches even work. I could put those pickups in these guitars, right?
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Carvin don't have active pups, they're all passives. They have active/passive controls as an option.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
Carvin don't have active pups, they're all passives. They have active/passive controls as an option.

On the DC400 it's standard that it has active/passive 9v electronics. Can you answer my other questions please.
Quote by Ignite

Quote by Meths
Yes, you could put active EMG pickups into a Carvin, but you might have to change out the pots and such. I don't know if they would work properly with the stock Carvin electronics.
Damn. Yeah I suck at rewiring and all that jazz. The only thing i've ever had to do was solder the wires in the back before and change pickups but that was passive. I have no idea about active pickups and rewiring so that's what i was wondering.
Quote by Ignite

Quote by Meths
Actives generally uses pots of lower values like 25K vs 250K/500K for passives. Actives are usually easier to install because most don't have the options of coil splitting or phase-reversing so they have fewer wires.

I have a Carvin DC127 that I ordered with active controls and I didn't like the active controls so I replaced everything with SD Blackouts (actives). Now I have the passives back in but without the active controls.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
The carvin set up is a passive pickup with a preamp in the control compartment. A switch turns it on or bypasses the preamp. I dont remember how they built it if its just a small circuit board or its built with the pots integrated.

EMGs are active all the time, the preamp is inside the pickup. There is the afterburner set up so they might work with the carvin preamp. But you would have to swap the pots, hard to do if they are integrated into the preamp board.