I'm thinking about buying a new guitar, and possibly an amp. If everything goes as planned, I'll have around $1500-$1700 USD to spend. That is the total amount if I sell the amp as well. If not, we're looking at something like $1300-$1500 USD.

I'll probably need to shave 25% off that if I'm going to be importing from another country, though, since I live in Norway.

I mostly play metal (death, heavy, black etc). My current guitar is an ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM which I don't like because of the neck (could be thickness, could be the fretboard or anything else, I just don't feel very comfortable when playing), and mainly the Floyd Rose locking tremolo.

My amp is a Roland Cube 30x. What do you guys think? Should I keep it and spend the all the money on the guitar, or should I get rid of it and divide the money between the guitar and the amp? If so, how do you reckon I should divide it?

What amp should I get? I have no idea about amps.

Hope you guys can help me out!

EDIT:

I do realize that the best thing would definitely be to go to a guitar center and spend the week there, but living on a pretty small island in Norway isn't doing me any favors in that regard. The tiny shop we have here only stock a small number of guitars. A couple of strats, a couple of les pauls, one prs se singlecut and a few ibanez guitars. That's pretty much it.
Last edited by Flaringo at Dec 20, 2009,
Id say find a nice Douglas or Agile you like at rondomusic.com and spend some of that money you saved on pickups that you prefer and some better hardware if you buy a douglas. Then spend the rest of that on a tube amp and some pedals. But that is just what I would do.
Like the user above me said, you need to spend most of it on a good, new amp.
I had a Cube too, and it keeps you going. But when you get your first nice tube amp, and you hear it's distortion, you never wanna go back.

For example you could get an awesome Marshall combo or even a JCM or 6505 (if you wanna go used) and a good LTD or Jackson for that kind of money.

I can't help out much when it comes to a new guitar, because that's mainly preference.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Dec 20, 2009,
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help.

I took a look at those Agile guitars. The Septor 627 Pro looks promising. Still open to suggestions, though.

I will definitely look at the amp brands you mentioned, TheOpenMind.
Quote by Flaringo
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help.

I took a look at those Agile guitars. The Septor 627 Pro looks promising. Still open to suggestions, though.

I will definitely look at the amp brands you mentioned, TheOpenMind.

Yeah, you could get a new Marshall DSL combo or a used Marshall JCM 900 (or JCM 800 if you're lucky) if you go used.

Other options are a Peavey 6505 or maybe a Peavey XXX (they tend to go cheap). I think your budget is a bit limited for a nice Mesa/Boogie, but you could always look into those.

EDIT:
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Oh! And check out the Bugera 6260, 6262 and 333Xl, they are hands down the best high gain amps for the price. You'll hear a lot about bad reliability, but it's all crap.

Seeing as most of the more metal orientated Agiles have EMGs, they're the perfect match for a high gain tube amp. However, if it's for bedroom practice be warned. They're very loud!

These are also good suggestions.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Dec 20, 2009,
I really, really like the sound of the Bugera amps so far. I'm still looking at Marshall and Peavy, though, so we'll see.

What are the main differences between the 3 Bugera models, though?

About the Agile guitars, how come they're so cheap? I've heard nothing bad about them. Are they just "good for the price", or are they genuinely good guitars with just an amazingly low price tag?
the 6260 is essentially a Peavey 6505 (i think) and the 6262 is essentially a Peavey 6505+ (i think) and has 2 channels, with the clean channel available for either clean or a very high gain crunch. the 333XL has 3 separate channels and apparently has more gain from what i've heard, but i haven't played one for myself. Personally i'd go for the 6262 if you want a guitar as well but if it was my money i would just get a better amp. a JCM800 or if you dont want to go used maybe the Kerry King Signature head from Marshall

since you do want the guitar though look into LTD and ibanez. The higher end LTDs and mid range prestige ibanez guitars are nothing short of incredible.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Flaringo
I really, really like the sound of the Bugera amps so far. I'm still looking at Marshall and Peavy, though, so we'll see.

What are the main differences between the 3 Bugera models, though?

About the Agile guitars, how come they're so cheap? I've heard nothing bad about them. Are they just "good for the price", or are they genuinely good guitars with just an amazingly low price tag?

They are cheap cause you dont get charged for a brand name. Most of the money they spend on those guitars go right into the quality of the build and materials. Though with the cheaper ones such as the lower end douglas and SX they have to skimp a bit on the hardware and electronics. Douglas gets a rough review once in a while, SX get some bad ones about as much as the lower end Ibanez and really I have never heard a bad review on an agile.

Unless im getting a great deal such "example" RG120 for $150 I only buy from rondomusic.
Sort out the amp first. The cube is an nice amp for practice but won't bring out the best in any guitar. Thinking in Euro, you are talking about 900ish total. Looking at about 500 for a nice amp to gig with or maybe 400 for a good home amp, leaves 400 - 500 for a guitar. So many possibles, a look on Thomann will blind you with choices. TC Ellis' Mantis 1 with EMGs would fit the bill, or his Vs and Explorers, too. (his black RR with gold hardware is purrrdy!)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

So what would you recommend for a good home amp? I'm guessing the amps mentioned above might be a little overkill for practicing at home? :P

Also, your name made me chuckle. I have a few irish friends, and lurch is one of the many "slangs" thrown around in our ventrilo server.

EDIT: You mean the Mantis 2, right? I couldn't find a Mantis 1. That is one good looking guitar, though!
Last edited by Flaringo at Dec 20, 2009,
Guitar-wise I would say play as many different kinds as you can get your hands on to see which feels comfortable, since you're not sure what about your guitar makes it uncomfortable to play.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Prodigy179

Yeah, the guitars look awesome. Thanks for the amp suggestion as well, I'll take a look at it.

Do you know anything about the pickups on the septor 627, though? Either I'm blind or it doesnt say anything about them.
Bugera Amps:
6260=modled off a 5150/6505-2 channels clean and lead. crunch function on clean channel. both channels share 1 eq, pressence and reverb,FX loop. 5 preamp tubes and 4 6l6s. dark tone perfect for metal..but can do any style

6262=modled after the 5150 II/6505+, same as above, but each channel has own eq. 6 preamp tubes, 4 6l6s. a hair less gain then above, but not noticeable.

333= Peavey Triple XXX. 3 channels, clean/crunch/lead. no pressence controls. each channel has own eq, damping switch on back of amp. 4 preamp tubes and 4 6l6s, FX loop. has that Dual rectifier type sound to it.

333XL= Peavey JSX, 3 channels as above, master pressence controls, XL(boost) switch and built in analog noise gate, FX loop. 4 preamp tubes and 4 EL34 tubes. brigher tone, tigher drive. good lead amp

all these amps can use either 6L6 tubes, EL34 type tubes(El34, E34Ls, KT77s)

the 6260/6262 has a bit more gain then the 333/333XL, but you would never really notice the difference

1990=Jcm 900 4100
1960= 1959R PLexi copy
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Amfisound Guitars!
they're from Finland
and are pretty much the greatest thing in the world. period
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
HouseBoy83: Thanks man, awesome post!

diofan88: They look great, but there's a lack of hardtail superstrats. :-\

Are the amps above suitable for practicing at home, though? ChucklesMginty mentioned the bugera amps are very loud, and at 120w i would imagine so.
I'm just gonna bump it before I head off since it's on page 3. Hope I don't break any forum rules.
Quote by Flaringo
HouseBoy83: Thanks man, awesome post!

diofan88: They look great, but there's a lack of hardtail superstrats. :-\

Are the amps above suitable for practicing at home, though? ChucklesMginty mentioned the bugera amps are very loud, and at 120w i would imagine so.

Wattage doesnt necessarily equal volume but it concerns headroom. For metal & bedroom playing the Blackstar HT-5 gets a lot of praise here even though its some 5 Watt or something, but it is definitely loud. Check the gear & accessories forum for more info on it.
Look for high gain amps, most huge wattage amps have master volume knobs, so they can be used at lower volumes, although they dont sound bad at low volume but they tend to sound even better at higher volumes