The top image shows where the bridge pickup is on a standard telecaster, relative to the bridge.

The second image shows there the bridge pickup is on Prince Guitar (I am not sure what's it's called, but it's really a sweet instrument). Hohner claims that the pickup is closer to the bridge for "more bite". Obviously, it's going to be twangier, the closer to the bridge.

The bottom image is of extreme twang, I think. It's as close to the bridge as physically possible.

Now, as you all likely know, the bridge pickup is normally higher output than the neck pickup to compensate for the lower amplitude of the signal (that to say, the string doesn't move as much, closer to the bridge).

But with the pickup this close (image 3) to the bridge, will the amplitude be enough to create any usable signal?

Do you think this thing twang like there's no tomorrow, or would it just sound thin and wimpy?

Obviously, the pickups will change the character a lot, but generally speaking, what do you think the effect of this place will be?
Lois: How am I supposed to live in this town if I'm a social pariah?

Peter: What's that? That them little fish that eat cows?
Last edited by McDuffie at Dec 20, 2009,
pic number 3 will just completely cut the bass response out of the bridge pup. It will sound painfully bright with no fullness. It will sound very metallic and it would have to be pretty hot to match volume with the neck pickup.

if thats what your going for then go ahead, but personally i think its a bad idea
Quote by JayLacelle
pic number 3 will just completely cut the bass response out of the bridge pup. It will sound painfully bright with no fullness. It will sound very metallic and it would have to be pretty hot to match volume with the neck pickup.

if thats what your going for then go ahead, but personally i think its a bad idea

Thanks. I think you are correct. I think that the amplitude of the plucked string will be so low at that point, that a usable signal won't be obtained.

The other option would be to add a pickup down there as an auxiliary pickup for the neck pickup. In other words, connecting it to the neck pickup via a pot, so that the (likely shrill) tone could be blended in, to give the neck pickup some different character once in a while.
Lois: How am I supposed to live in this town if I'm a social pariah?

Peter: What's that? That them little fish that eat cows?