So I bought a Boogie 50. Cal+ back in July off of eBay.

The amp worked fine for a few days then died.. It still had the original Mesa tubes from 20 years ago in it, so I assumed they had died as they didn't even light up much. I spent £100 having Eurotubes send me a package to fit the amp, and I installed them to the letter and the amp has worked fine since.

Until now.

What else could be causing it to not work? This happened to an old Orange TT I had and it turned it out it was a f*cked transformer, so I'm guessing that's whats happened here.

Does it sound like a bad transformer? And how much would it cost to be replaced?

I considered selling as damaged but I havent got anywhere near my moneys worth on this.
it worked then didn't work isn't a good explanation brother.

how long ago did you put the new tubes in?

did it all off a sudden die or were there periods of time when the sound would go in and out?

etc etc
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I put the tubes in three days ago on thursday and the amp worked perfect until now..

Yesterday there was some volume issues which I *thought* involved my cables because when I would move the cable around the sound would pop in. So I'm using a brand new cable now and I have nothing at all. Even using my other cables doesnt work.

Tried another guitar and still nothing.

It's literally just seemed to stop working overnight.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Did you spend time biasing the tubes when you put them in?

I don't have the necessary tools to bias and from what I read there was no need anyway because the amp is biased to use these 6L6s.

EDIT: If it helps, ever since I've had the amp, both sets of tubes have produced a muffly sound which required me to use absolutely 0 bass and maxing out the treble to get some clarity.. I heard a crap transofmrer effects tone too.
Last edited by Bearded_Seth at Dec 20, 2009,
You need to bias the new tubes. Every tube is somewhat different, and will need a proper biasing. Especially when changing brands. Even if they're both 6l6, I wouldn't install new tubes without biasing.
I bought an matchless clone amp, and it worked fine and eventually I had volume problems like you, every day it decreased more, until one day it died. My problem was a transformer, which had to be "winded" (don't know if it's the correct word) again.

Hope it helps-
So basically my situation is, I have to buy a biasing kit. Which clearly has nothing to do with it as the old tubes that came with the amp (assuming they were biased) had me in the same situation as now.

I'm not a tube expert, but I'm damn sure this extends beyond a biasing issue.
IIRC you can't bias boogie amps... they're set to a predetermined bias and you're suppose to just pop in new tubes and go.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by Bearded_Seth
So basically my situation is, I have to buy a biasing kit. Which clearly has nothing to do with it as the old tubes that came with the amp (assuming they were biased) had me in the same situation as now.

I'm not a tube expert, but I'm damn sure this extends beyond a biasing issue.

Quite possible. If so, it's like you said, probably the transformer. But the bad sound was likely from bad biasing. Take it to the shop in any case, they can fix it.
Quote by ragingkitty
IIRC you can't bias boogie amps... they're set to a predetermined bias and you're suppose to just pop in new tubes and go.

That's what I thought.. Thanks for backing me up

Quote by anubiz03
Quite possible. If so, it's like you said, probably the transformer. But the bad sound was likely from bad biasing. Take it to the shop in any case, they can fix it.

No shops round here.. Live in a small town in the middle of nowhere...
Why don't we just take the amp to a shop, to avoid making mistakes & costing more money in the end? And God forbid you have to fricking get in a car & drive!
When Mesa/Boogie says their amps are fixed bias, it literally means its not supposed to be adjusted, not our traditional understanding of fixed bias as in "you need to set your own bias" for new tubes.

FWIW I believe its a transformer issue, not a tube issue.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Take it to a tech and have the OT (output transformer) checked out. I assume the amp is still powering up and the filaments are still glowing?
Quote by Matt420740
Take it to a tech and have the OT (output transformer) checked out. I assume the amp is still powering up and the filaments are still glowing?

Yep everything works.. Just sound doesn't come out
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Yep everything works.. Just sound doesn't come out

Then the OT would be the first thing I would have checked out.
Quote by Matt420740
Then the OT would be the first thing I would have checked out.

Well I figured the tubes had gone before because they woudnt light up much at all.. These new ones glow much MUCH stronger..

I'm pretty sure this is a transformer issue..

Can anyone help me with this?
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Well I figured the tubes had gone before because they woudnt light up much at all.. These new ones glow much MUCH stronger..

I'm pretty sure this is a transformer issue..

Can anyone help me with this?

We tried to help you. Take it to a good tech and have him check the OT. The power transformer is probably fine. I'd be looking at the output transformer. The PT powers up your amp and runs your filaments. The OT is what your speaker output actually comes from.
Quote by Matt420740
We tried to help you. Take it to a good tech and have him check the OT. The power transformer is probably fine. I'd be looking at the output transformer. The PT powers up your amp and runs your filaments. The OT is what your speaker output actually comes from.

I don't have shops or guitar techs anywhere from around here... I live in the middle of nowhere..
Quote by Bearded_Seth
I don't have shops or guitar techs anywhere from around here... I live in the middle of nowhere..

I don't recommend working on it yourself unless you have a lot of electronics experience. There are lethal voltages present inside a tube amp. Where do you live?
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Looks like you will have to become a tech by doing research or you find one and ship your amp out to one. Sorry for your troubles, i have been in your shoes before. It's the not knowing whats wrong that tweaks me out when stuff like that happens. GL with getting her back up and running.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Matt420740
I don't recommend working on it yourself unless you have a lot of electronics experience. There are lethal voltages present inside a tube amp. Where do you live?

In the countryside of England

The only guitar related place nearby is the Marshall center.. And that's still a very long away away
Quote by Bearded_Seth
In the countryside of England

The only guitar related place nearby is the Marshall center.. And that's still a very long away away

I recommend going to a site like AX84.com, which is a site dedicated to DIY amp building. I'm a member there. They have a large forum full of helpful people, and there are some guys on there from England. See if you can find anyone near you on there, They might be willing to fix it for you or at least point you in the right direction.
You need to send the amp to Westside Distribution in Glasgow. They are the official Boogie techs for the UK. Its where the shop i use sent my Tremoverb to be fixed when it died a few months back under guarantee.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by WtrPlyr
So this is the second amps you owned that has an OT that crapped out? Are you matching impedance?

Yeah I'm doing all that... It's just bad luck on eBay.