Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I keep breaking my A string. It's gotten better, to an extent. I used to go through a new one every couple of weeks, but lately I've been going months at a time without having to replace it.

It's always the 5th string, which seems kind of an odd break, yeah? It's frustrating me to no end. Would it be something to do with my technique? Or would it be a hardware thing?

I'm never playing particularly hard when it breaks, and it always breaks on the tuner, if that helps.

I'm just sick of having to shell out for new packs of strings all the time just because ONE keeps breaking.

I've switched brands and gauge, as well.

Thanks!
The problem's in your tremolo bar I'm quite sure. So I guess hardware problem. Try sanding a little bit the tremolo bar where the A string goes through. It's probably too sharp and it cuts your string or something. But sand it a little only and carefully!
Quote by gatechballer
Well you should change strings about once a month anyways

Not everybody gigs, or can afford new strings every month. So, no, you shouldn't really change strings every month.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by Mctwist03
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I keep breaking my A string. It's gotten better, to an extent. I used to go through a new one every couple of weeks, but lately I've been going months at a time without having to replace it.

It's always the 5th string, which seems kind of an odd break, yeah? It's frustrating me to no end. Would it be something to do with my technique? Or would it be a hardware thing?

I'm never playing particularly hard when it breaks, and it always breaks on the tuner, if that helps.

I'm just sick of having to shell out for new packs of strings all the time just because ONE keeps breaking.

I've switched brands and gauge, as well.

Thanks!

Do you mean it breaks on the tuning peg or the fine tuners on your bridge?
Either way it's a hardware issue, check for sharp edges near the break.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.