Hi, I am currently looking for a well-priced mild/light (keyword is light) overdrive or distortion pedal for bass. I play alot of punk rock, and I noticed that punk rock bassists prefer to have a light distortion in place of a 100% clean tone. What would be a good pedal to acheieve this sound?
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
My bass-player has a Boss ODB-3 but it`s more for the what heavy stuff.
And to be honest, I once saw a Muse cover band where the bass-player used a Behringer TO100 or something, a purple box and it actually didn`t sound that bad!
But it`s plastic so for some quality you could give a look at some EHX-pedals, EBS also some really quality-products but I don`t know the specs of their distortion
They get that because they're driving their amps really hard (Bass amps don't distort most of the time - to get one to distort means you're running it at a really high volume).

Anyway - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Bass-Blogger-Distortion-Pedal?sku=528001
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
They get that because they're driving their amps really hard (Bass amps don't distort most of the time - to get one to distort means you're running it at a really high volume).

Anyway - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Bass-Blogger-Distortion-Pedal?sku=528001

1 - My amp sounds like a dead fart when I crank it.

2 - That bass blogger sounds dead..i need something with a little more edge and punch
Gear:
Squier Classic Vibe
Acoustic B20

Favorite Bands:
Green Day
Sublime
NOFX
So are you looking for a treble boost?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Pedals that are nice for a low amount of grit (none bass specific)
Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive

Bass Specific
Ashdown LoMenzo Hyperdrive (can also get very VERY dirty)
Tech 21 VT Bass
Tech 21 BDDDI

There are plenty more, but those 6 are 6 you might want to try out.