First Impressions:
It came in a Gator Case. That’s a top-notch case…I’m not sure how much they cost new, but it seems to combine the structural safety of a hard-shell case, but with a gig-bag-ish cushioning that should avoid shattering if struck a sharp blow.

At first look: God, it’s gorgeous! Better looking than the one on the website.
It gleams nicely.
The figuring in the wood looks very nice. Not symmetrical… It also doesn’t have the 3-dimensional illusion feel of a quilted maple or some flamed maples. But it is Walnut. If you like that sort of thing, you’ll like that sort of thing, and I like the walnut grain on this one.
I went with the cast acrylic fretboard. I already have maple fretboards, rosewood fretboards, ebony fretboards, and at least one Pao Ferro. Jon claims good things about the acrylic: fast and good for bending. It does feel extremely hard under my fingers, and I find I like that it is extremely shiny. I used to like Rosewood fretboards when I was a bass player, but over the last year+ I’ve begun to feel like Rosewood drags a little, and really like the ebony on my Vandenberg. Well, the cast acrylic seems like it has all the bonuses of ebony, plus a little bit more. I wish I could a/b compare this guitar with my Vandy and my Hamers; I will as soon as I get back home. But I digress. The point is that the fretboard feels very fast: it seems to release the strings immediately. It also seems to add a little chime-like attack.
Of course, I can’t be sure that is the fretboard and not the walnut body. [shrug] All I know is the feel and sound when not amplified remind me of my ebony-fretboarded Vandy, only more so. I wish I could be more specific.
The body itself is very smooth, all rounded, no edges. Very light.
The balance is excellent. Not neck-heavy at all.
It does seem to want to slide off my leg when wearing pants while playing…
Great sound. No complaints at all about the sound I get from it. It does good AC/DC, good EVH, good blues, good hard rock, good metal. Jon wired it up so the coils split with a pull of the volume knob, and it has a really good single-coil sound. I was surprised by how credible it sounded in a single-coil role. It sounded as good on “Mary Had a Little Lamb” as any super strat ever did. Obviously, nothing sounds as good as a strat except a vintage strat. Well, this guitar had a clear difference between double coil and single coil. It makes me feel like I can do credible single-coil tunes with it.
The neck is really nice. I got the C-shaped neck, but I’m really pretty agnostic about shape or chunkiness. This neck is on the slender, but not overly skinny. From talking with Jon, I think he’d be willing to do various levels of chunkiness, if someone just had to have a vintage carve.
I don’t have my other guitars to compare to, but it seems like this guitar as the best access to the 24the fret of any guitar I’ve ever held. He claims it has an innovative neck joint that makes it really solid. All I know is it is incredibly easy to play fast up high on this guitar.
One thing that has left me dissatisfied with Hamer is that I can’t get a 24-fret fixed-bridge guitar from them. The closest to it is the 12-string Chaparrel I have on the way…but that’s a 12-string, and I doubt I’ll be able to play it as a shredder. I’m not going to get rid of my Hamer shredders because I really dig the sound, the look, the feel, and the collectability.
So I admit: I wanted to risk a little bit just to see what I could get from Jon. He’s got great reviews for the few that have bought his guitars. When I spoke with him on the phone, I deliberately asked about some options I might not have normally chosen. For instance, I chose the cast acrylic fretboard because, when am I going to get another chance to try one? How many other guitar makers are using walnut? Maybe one questionable choice I made was to go with the stock Golden Age pickups instead of upgrading to premium Seymour Duncans.

This is the most I’ve ever spent on a guitar. It is only the 2nd brand-new guitar I’ve ever purchased (the other was a decent Fernandes Revolver X I got really cheap that I sold mostly because I knew I could flip for a good profit).

But I can tell you: it was worth it. This $1650 guitar just became my favorite, by far.

It is so easy to play. I really like the sound. One of the reasons I went with the Golden Age pickups is that I wanted to see what the guitar would do, not the pickups. I can always buy a JB and ’59 later, or maybe a BBQ Burstbucker or Rio Grande and drop ‘em in if I’m just not satisfied. But this experiment would give me a good idea of what a basic Jon Kammerer guitar would do.

It has a great growl with a little distortion, but really sings when clean. The acrylic fretboard gives it a little chime on the attacks. Pinch harmonics are ridiculously easy. I can squeal on any fret at just about any picking position. I haven’t gotten a harsh sound out of it yet. The best part is the clarity of each individual string. I can hear each note in a chord as clear as a bell.

This is a great guitar. Well worth the price. From the descriptions I’ve heard of Suhr and Huber, this is probably worth far more than $1650. Jon will customize basic things for free, and will customize just about anything for a reasonable price. From people talking about what it would take to get Hamer to do a Californian (in the $10k range?), I think Jon would do it for less than half that, if the impressions I got from talking to him were correct.

I’ve got plans for future Jon Kammerer Guitars acquisitions. I’m looking at a hollow-body with 3 single coils (similar to the first one on this page, but with 3 SC instead of P-90s)…but there also is a highly-figured Ash I’m considering…beautiful with the rosewood fingerboard and abalone inlays. Then again, the figuring on this cherry wood Venerable (top picture) (Jon’s version of a pickguard-less strat—I just prefer hard-tail to vintage trem) seems very nice. But I’d also love to get one of his “cored” cherrywood guitars (the bottom one on this page): he told me those are his best sellers at the guitar shows.

...and that's before I even start thinking of a design done in wood, like camouflage or a USAF symbol or something.

I have no affiliation w/ Jon Kammerer Guitars, and I don’t get anything if you buy one. I just *really* like this guitar. If someone had been dreaming of a Suhr or Huber and can’t afford one, one of Jon’s might be more in your price range, and will be as good or better (for one thing, I was shocked to see Suhr doesn’t do blind tangs on fret edges; Jon does).
Anyway, great guitar. I’m going to start building a JK Guitars collection now. Yes, even though the headstock is fugly.

I'll add pictures later in the week or next weekend.
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to load pictures, since I'm in Iraq and the military internet blocks all the photo websites, and I can't use a thumbdrive or disc on the computers in the Internet Room (which allows the photo websites).

I'll think of something.
If you dont got pics, not many people are interested.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
UG community cannot read. Pics naow.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
UG community cannot read. Pics naow.

this.

pics or it's a DeVries Custom.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
this.

pics or it's a DeVries Custom.

You write that in EVERY thread without pics

Anyways I have no idea why ts just wrote out an essay when most people just pop into these threads to look at a few pictures ahah
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
You write that in EVERY thread without pics

Anyways I have no idea why ts just wrote out an essay when most people just pop into these threads to look at a few pictures ahah

are you stalking me?

and I haven't said this in a while. because most of the times, it gets said already or there are already pics.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
are you stalking me?

and I haven't said this in a while. because most of the times, it gets said already or there are already pics.

...what if i am
and point taken i just see it a lot haha
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
...what if i am
and point taken i just see it a lot haha

but it's nt all me. though I am the one that started using that exact phrase. everyone was using the Squier one. i was the first to say DeVries Custom
Quote by pedromiles101