Skip to the big bold text if you can't be bothered with a back-story.

I just go a new (v. old) amp for free (peavey TKO115), and basicly, there aren't any dials on it, lord knows why.. (thus it was thrown out by the previous owner, but using a screwdriver works on it).

I have salvaged some dials from an old, useless hurricane amp. some of the dial housings don't have enough metal to get a good super-glue fix (worked for 2 out of the 4, amzingly well at that). However, I'm thinking:

Since dials are basicly potentiometers, could I rip out the dial housings on the old hurricane and replace the ones in the peavey amp, therefore being able to get a good dial fix? I've forgotten allot about physics and potentiometers, but they have no value correct? only 0% to 100%? so would it work? Rather know before I went headfirst!

cheers!
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
they do have values tho.....your guitar volume knob can be 250k to 500k.....those are the most ussual ones.

anyways ye there are lots of types.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Quote by georgakis187
they do have values tho.....your guitar volume knob can be 250k to 500k.....those are the most ussual ones.

anyways ye there are lots of types.

Ah right, thanks for the info. I haven't done much about this stuff in a long time. So if they did match up, it's fair to say that it'll work?
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
yes that is true- make sure they have both the correct resistance (measured in kilo-ohms, referred to shorthand as k- thus a 250 kilo-ohm pot is 250k) and the correct rate- linear vs logarithmic. You might have to check a schematic to find these values out for sure.
log pots are usually marked with a 'B'
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!