I have a First Act ME402(Les Paul type) and I am wanting to get new strings. I play rock and metal mainly. A guy at work suggested medium gauge flat wound string by Fender or Gibson. What do you suggest? It still has the strings that came on it when it was brand new 2 years ago so I'm sure they are pretty cheap strings. My goal is to make this guitar sound better by getting better strings and a new amp soon. Right now I am thinking about strings.
It has 2 year old strings on. And they didn't break, or you didn't think they sounded like shit?

I suggest some Ernie Ball .11's though, they are a bit thicker than normal, but I think it's best to have some thicker strings on a LP
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
ernie ball power slinkys youll see a huge amount in tone probobly if you been using the same strings for 2 years. what tunings you use?
You should get a whole new guitar. Save up and get yourself a better setup, especially if you've been playing for two years. Then put some Ernie Ball strings on it. I tend to prefer the Super Slinkys for rock.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Get Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Strings. They're reliable, sound great, and they're the right gauge for a metal sound. That is to say that the're thicker so they have a deeper sound that gives a good chug sound for palm mutes and all that good stuff. Although, I have to say, if you wanna get an all around better package, guitar center has a good deal right now on an ibanez starter package, with a decent guitar and amp, and all the accessories. I'd get that if I were you.
I am going to get a new guitar when I get the money, but string and an amp come first I think. only play my guitar about 30 mins a day so the string probably are not as bad off as you guys think. As far as the strings sounding like crap I just got one of my pickups working the other day. I may sound like an idiot but I did not even realize it was not working. The one with the treble was the one not working. I just though it was the guitar and amp that made it sound that way.
Quote by james3302
I am going to get a new guitar when I get the money, but string and an amp come first I think. only play my guitar about 30 mins a day so the string probably are not as bad off as you guys think. As far as the strings sounding like crap I just got one of my pickups working the other day. I may sound like an idiot but I did not even realize it was not working. The one with the treble was the one not working. I just though it was the guitar and amp that made it sound that way.

It wouldn't matter if you only played your guitar for 5 minutes a day, the second you touch them, they start to deteriorate. After two years, It's a miracle you haven't broken one. Or six. And I'd go with what that other guy said, get the Ibanez starter pack. It's a decent setup overall, and it's pretty cheap. Just get everything at one time.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by bigjuice_7
ernie ball power slinkys youll see a huge amount in tone probobly if you been using the same strings for 2 years. what tunings you use?

I use regular tuning and dropped D tunning on the big E string.
Elixers, if you want to spend the money on nice strings. And two year old stings dosent suprise me, I've seen 30 year old acoustic guitars with the original strings on them and still plays well, bit dull sounding, but plays.

And string changeing is a constant thing your going to have to do. A good musician will replace his guitar strings every 2 weeks to a month.
okay so I am thinking about either the Ernie Ball power slinky or regular slinky..11 gauge was mentioned for the power slinky but what about the regular slinky? I want to play stuff like Tool and it could somehow play jack Johnson too. I know it's a wide range I'm wanting to play.
Ugh music store just sold me Fender bullets for my guitar. Do they not know that they do not work with my guitar(i told them what kind of guitar I had).
I have ernie ball not even slinkys on my guitar, give me the sound i want
and the age of the strings doesn't make any difference on how much they break, my mate had hers for 5 years and bent the top e all the way jup the neck before it eben thought about breaking, they can be damned versatile those things.
^but it's like playing russian roulette 500 times, the amount of times you've already played it doesnt actually increase the likely hood that you're gonna lose, but its hard to play it that many times without losing
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I got Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings. I will see how they work out. I noticed alot of the bands I listen to use the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings but the music store did not have any of them.
Quote by james3302
I got Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings. I will see how they work out. I noticed alot of the bands I listen to use the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings but the music store did not have any of them.

Good choice! My preffered strings are Dunlop Gauges .10-46 but before I started using those I always bought the Power Slinkys
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
I was thinking about getting the Skinny top heavy bottom strings from Ernie Ball because on their website it shows alot of the bands I listen to use these strings. But the local music store did not have any of them. I may try the next time.
I tired the skinny top heavy bottom on my lower end guitar and it just doesn't really seem to work without making quite a few adjustments, good bit of fret buzz and I really think I need better pickups for the heavier strings. They sounded much deeper but honestly the power slinkys and regular slinkys sound a lot better to me, and I can take it down to drop B or drop C without any problems.

It's all a matter of preference really I guess but the skinnier they are the easier they are to bend and play to me. You can get a deeper tone by adjusting some amp settings and switching between pickups on your guitar. I also like to play metal or hard rock.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
Quote by ChrisrMS
I tired the skinny top heavy bottom on my lower end guitar and it just doesn't really seem to work without making quite a few adjustments, good bit of fret buzz and I really think I need better pickups for the heavier strings. They sounded much deeper but honestly the power slinkys and regular slinkys sound a lot better to me, and I can take it down to drop B or drop C without any problems.

It's all a matter of preference really I guess but the skinnier they are the easier they are to bend and play to me. You can get a deeper tone by adjusting some amp settings and switching between pickups on your guitar. I also like to play metal or hard rock.

I will try the regular slinkys next time. Just to see which I like the best. So how do you like your Peavey Vypr 15? I am hoping to get one soon. I have really cheap little practice amp right now. I was curous to know how you set the delay on the Vypr.
These power slinky strings especially the big E string has a metal sound. This may sound stupid, but the old strings did not sound this way. Is this normal? I put the strings on myself and always doubt myself. When I say metal I don't mean the music type I mean actual metal sound. I can hear it when I turn the tone down on my guitar, if I turn my tone all the way up I don't hear it.
Last edited by james3302 at Dec 24, 2009,
I'm loving the Vypyr 15, if you can throw down $200 you could get the Vypyr 30 with a lot more options. The 15 sounds great though!
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
Quote by james3302
These power slinky strings especially the big E string has a metal sound. This may sound stupid, but the old strings did not sound this way. Is this normal? I put the strings on myself and always doubt myself.

Yeah, those strings just need some breaking in. It's a big step from 2 year old strings.

Although, if there's buzzing, that's another issue.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Try holding the strings down closer to the fret bar instead of in the middle of the fret too and see if that helps any
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD