so will the height of the pickup effect the sound?? i know mick thomson uses his blackouts as close to the strings as possible for a thicker sound he claims.. i was messing around with mine, i found that with the bridge p.u lower i can get better pinch harmonics... but i was wondering if i could have my neck p.u higher then my bridge p.u or would that mess my sound if i was using both p.u's at once???

also...

the metal rings around the pickup, can i take those off so i can just clean it a bit then put them back on. or will it mess somthing up???

EDIT: Forgot to mention i'm using a schecter damien 6 FR

thanks,

MetalGuitarist
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Dec 20, 2009,
If the strings are very close to the pickups, the sound will be louder, but you'll get less sustain.
height is going to primarily affect volume (which contributes to intensity or thicker sound). Set them how you like, but you dont want one pickup to be louder than the other. Also if you set the pickups too close to the strings, the magnets can affect the vibration pattern and pull strings out of tune.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
3 to 5 mm under the strings is a good start, you dont want your clean sound to be distorted, which will happen if they are to close and can also create fret buzz from the magnet pulling on the strings. To far away and the sound becomes dull.
Dont forget if you put passives too close to the strings you will get additional noise, whereas actives do not, and EMG actually recommends you put their active pickups as close to the strings as possible.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by Mitochondria9
Dont forget if you put passives too close to the strings you will get additional noise, whereas actives do not, and EMG actually recommends you put their active pickups as close to the strings as possible.

Thats because the actives have really low output magnets in them, but passives need stronger magnets because they don't (usually) have a preamp to boost the signal.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
Thats because the actives have really low output magnets in them, but passives need stronger magnets because they don't (usually) have a preamp to boost the signal.

Yes, Im aware of that.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212