alder and ebony is not a very good combination as ebony is a very bright wood and the JB pickup is also bright.

I'd go with something warmer like the tonezone or something
Quote by morkeg
alder and ebony is not a very good combination as ebony is a very bright wood and the JB pickup is also bright.

I'd go with something warmer like the tonezone or something

tonezone ill check into tho ty. any other good pickup ideas?
The JB is an awesome pup. I have one in my Alder-bodied Soloist and I love it- its extremely versatile and can handle anything from Metal to Jazz. Pair it with a Seymour Duncan Jazz or a Duncan 59'.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by IhaveAnAlexi600
will this work wel. cuz it says the jb goes well with rosewood.

well, atleast we won't have to worry about knowing what guitar you have. but as morkeg said, it'll be very bright.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
JB is hugely overrated. Custom 5 is a much more balanced pickup in the same sort of range; though before you look at pickups like this, make sure you do actually need the output. There's no point getting a high output pickup if your amp isn't suitable.

As far as the JB goes, I'd never put it in alder with ebony. Unless you use 250k pots and have a very naturally dark-toned amp, the JB will be obnoxiously bright.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
JB is hugely overrated. Custom 5 is a much more balanced pickup in the same sort of range; though before you look at pickups like this, make sure you do actually need the output. There's no point getting a high output pickup if your amp isn't suitable.

As far as the JB goes, I'd never put it in alder with ebony. Unless you use 250k pots and have a very naturally dark-toned amp, the JB will be obnoxiously bright.

this too.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by MrFlibble

From the Seymour Duncan website (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh4_jb_model/)

guitars:
For balanced and warm instruments. Works especially well with rosewood fingerboards.

To be honest Mr. Flibble, I gotta disagree with you. The JB works very well in Alder bodies... thats where the Soloist and the Randy Rhoads models get their tone, as well as the ESP M-II.

The pup will only be as bright as you allow it to be.

TSer, beware of someone saying "overrated"- the best thing to do is to go to the local guitar shop and actually try out the pups anyway.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Quote by Richmanofaction
From the Seymour Duncan website (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh4_jb_model/)

guitars:
For balanced and warm instruments. Works especially well with rosewood fingerboards.

To be honest Mr. Flibble, I gotta disagree with you. The JB works very well in Alder bodies... thats where the Soloist and the Randy Rhoads models get their tone, as well as the ESP M-II.

TSer, beware of someone saying "overrated"- the best thing to do is to go to the local guitar shop and actually try out the pups anyway.

normally, when flib says it would be too bright, he's right. you know that the jacksons are then balanced with a rosewood fretboard most of the time, and ebony is so much more brighter than a maple fretboard, so the brightness factor would be really over the top.
Quote by pedromiles101
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It might help if you don't post so many threads, TS. Less chance of getting banned for spamming.
actally, the thread i told you about your perma ban was the multi-thread.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
actally, the thread i told you about your perma ban was the multi-thread.

well then...
Quote by Richmanofaction

when did randy ever use an alder body guitar? both times i saw him play he used the alpine white lp and the polka dot V.

I'd say the plexi and dist + were more to blame.
Quote by MrFlibble

+1 to the JB being very bright... and +1 to the Custom 5..

Also, the DiMarzio Super Distortion is worth checking out too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Randy used alder bodied strats when he was with Quiet Riot, and the Jackson Concorde was Alder bodied as well.
His main standbys were the Sandoval V, and the LPs, but that is all besides the point.

The JB pups ain the alder/ebony combo guitars that I own and have played are never too bright for my taste, but the key point being that it is "my taste."
I have heard great things about the DiMarzio Super Distortion, so def. check that out. Try the Custom 5 that Mr. Flibble suggested as well, might as well since you should try them all out anyway.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
The JB pups ain the alder/ebony combo guitars that I own and have played are never too bright for my taste, but the key point being that it is "my taste."

Yup... its a matter of taste.

I use a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man in an alder body guitar too and I know it can be too bright for some people... but I like it. Though I personally wouldn't recommend the combination to someone else.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Richmanofaction

guitars:

ya thanks i noticed people are already talking shit about me lol. im new to this fourm
btw
Last edited by IhaveAnAlexi600 at Dec 21, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It might help if you don't post so many threads, TS. Less chance of getting banned for spamming.
o btw way i did not see this until now
Quote by Richmanofaction
You just threw any credibility you might have had right out the window. Citing the Seymour Duncan site as any kind of measurement of what any given pickup will sound like is bordering on functionally retarded. They're only good for telling vaguely how different SD pickups will sound compared to each other - but that tells you nothing about how any pickup will sound taken out on it's own in any given guitar.

Seymour Duncan make a good product but their website is so full of useless shite it's quite unbelievable. Other than their wiring diagrams there's really no much point using it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
TS, read this...

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

because at the moment you don't have a clue, and asking random questions on a forum isn't going to get you up to speed in a hurry. All you're going to do is form some sort of "opinion" solely based on the opinions of other with absolutely zero contribution from your own knoweldge or experience. And that means all you're doing is looking to buy something for the sake of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MrFlibble
You just threw any credibility you might have had right out the window. Citing the Seymour Duncan site as any kind of measurement of what any given pickup will sound like is bordering on functionally retarded. They're only good for telling vaguely how different SD pickups will sound compared to each other - but that tells you nothing about how any pickup will sound taken out on it's own in any given guitar.

Seymour Duncan make a good product but their website is so full of useless shite it's quite unbelievable. Other than their wiring diagrams there's really no much point using it.

As an owner of the JB in an Alder bodied, Ebony fretboard guitar- I think I have more credibility in this instance than somebody who is merely speculating. The Seymour Duncan site provides people with a good idea on what pickup to start off with by outlining what woods the pickup is suitable for, as well as their output relative to the rest of their product line.

Of course they aren't going to cross reference the tones with their competition- that just makes bad business sense, but in my years I have found it to be an underrated resource to build a solid foundation in researching SD pups before really delving into the nitty gritty. Once again Flibble, you're citing your opinion- both our opinions can suck it though if the TS doesn't like any of the pups we are suggesting.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Hmmm....interesting as I am looking at replacing my EMG 81 in my RR24M with either the tb-4 or TB-5.

What I don't get is everyone saying one has to much highs....I mean isn't that what the amp and/or EQ are for....turrning either the lows, mids, highs up or down?

All I know is every sound or video clip I have heard where it is a V shaped guitar with an alder body sounds amaza-za-zing with the TB-4....with or without a rosewood fretboard.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ