Howdy. Needin' some help/advice from the community.

I play on a Peavey Bandit 112 from the 90's with a Boss MT2 Distortion Pedal. When I play through the clean channel, with the pedal activated, I can get a good metal tone, but I want better. When I switch over to the lead channel, with pedal activated, I can almost get the tone I'm looking for. However, there is a ton of signal hiss and background noise when I do this. I'm about to break down and buy a Noise Gate to see if that works. Now, onto my questions.

1 - On a solid state amp, are you not supposed to play with a distortion pedal through the lead channel?

2 - On the clean channel w/ pedal, I can't get certain sounds to ring like I want. Namely pinch harmonics. To me it sounds like there isn't enough distortion to carry the pinch how I want. Is this a volume issue or something else?

Lastly, I'm just a hobbyist, but tone is important to me. The reason I've held off on getting a tube amp is I can't even turn my solid state up past 2 without getting bitchy neighbors. Am I just stuck with the Static-X type cold tone until I get a tube amp?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by dorfeater at Dec 20, 2009,
No, you can't, and some amp respond to pinch harmonic better than others, it doest always have to do with distortion, treble, pickup output. Some amps do pinch harmonics great, some completly suck at them. And SS are not the best amps to be using for metal, unless its a high end SS amp, then you shouldent have any problems, but the Peavy Bandit is not a high end SS, so your pinch harmonics are gona suck, even if you have perfect technique.

Get a new amp if you want better pinch harmonics, or find a way to mod your current amp.
1. Correct.
2. Pich harmonics are all about technique. Check out some Rory Gallagher, he does pinch harmonics with not a lot of gain.
3. You can get a better moddeling amp like a Vetta or a small wattage tube amp, but does generally won't do metal.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, you can't, and some amp respond to pinch harmonic better than others, it doest always have to do with distortion, treble, pickup output. Some amps do pinch harmonics great, some completly suck at them. And SS are not the best amps to be using for metal, unless its a high end SS amp, then you shouldent have any problems, but the Peavy Bandit is not a high end SS, so your pinch harmonics are gona suck, even if you have perfect technique.

Get a new amp if you want better pinch harmonics, or find a way to mod your current amp.
I can easily land pinch harmonics on a Peavey Bandit.

I don't think you're giving the Peavey Bandit enough credit.
Quote by WtrPlyr
1. Correct.
2. Pich harmonics are all about technique. Check out some Rory Gallagher, he does pinch harmonics with not a lot of gain.
3. You can get a better moddeling amp like a Vetta or a small wattage tube amp, but does generally won't do metal.
+1

Except the Bandit isn't a modelling amp.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Dec 20, 2009,