What's the best acoustic guitar to get? I'm looking for one around $200-$400. I was thinking of ovation since I already play electric. Also, what's the best ovation guitar to get?
If I remember right the "Good" ovation start around $400. I know the lower end (Applause?) ones are supposed to be pretty bad. I played one of them a little and I didn't think it was too bad, but I might have just had a really nice one or something. I mean, it sounded like a $200 guitar in the end *shrugs*. I haven't really played any higher end ovation guitars though. I hear they are a little more expensive for the tone you get from them though. Not exactly a good "Bang for your buck" guitar but nevertheless some good guitars in there (somewhere).

If I remember right, the Yamaha FG730S or something is supposed to be a good guitar in that range. There is also some guitars by Seagull. I personally want a Seagull S6. Wide fretboard compared to a lot. Good if you like to do fingerpicking on an acoustic (which I love). They come in ceder and spruce and i think mahogany in the more expensive ones (I forget). There is also the Seagull Entourage which has a slightly smaller body, slimmer fretboard (more standard size) and different finish.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Oh yeah, another thing with getting one with electrics is that you can always install a pickup in it later if you want to or you can put a microphone in front of it..
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
the only good ovations i've played ran over a grand. the best guitars i've played in the $400 and under range based on sound, build quality and finish:

yamaha fg730s
seagull original s6 (or s6 slim for those who prefer a slimmer neck)
bluegrass br-40
seagull coastline cedar grand
yamaha fg720s
taylor big baby

and also worth checking out are
alvarez ad411
martin dx-1

i liked the alvarez but only tried it once. i hear that the martin hpl might not last as long as other laminates, although i don't know if that true.

the best ovation to me is the al dimeola model. incredible full tone, very comfortable but ultra fast neck. totally awesome!
Last edited by patticake at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by xsaosinx
What's the best acoustic guitar to get?

What's the prettiest color? What's the best piece of music, or the tastiest food?

There is no "best" guitar, acoustic or otherwise. There are some guitars that will suit you better than will others, but while that might make one of them "the best" for you, it's not like it makes that guitar "the best" for the next guy.

And unfortunately, you haven't provided anywhere near enough information to permit one to determine which guitars might suit you well.

FWIW, in the $200-$400 range, I really like the Seagull S6. Usually found with a solid cedar top, and cherry laminate sides and back. Typically, with a nut width of 1.8", which is a fraction of an inch wider than most guitars, although some Slim models are available that measure 1.68" or 1.72" or something like that.

I admit that I'm biased. I own a Seagull. (A 25th Anniversary edition, with solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. It's gorgeous and sounds great. And Seagull, the company, has answered my email promptly and courteously on the 2 occasions when I had questions for them.)

A new S6 will probably come in at the top end of your price range. A used one, near the bottom end. I see used Seagulls on the local craigslists pretty regularly. Not 15 new ones every day, like with strats, but one shows up every few days. Buying a used, excellent condition guitar can make your somewhat limited budget stretch much further, xsaosinx.

Seagull offers an Entourage model, too. It's a mini-jumbo, not a dred - not that there's anything wrong with that. And in some purely cosmetic ways (not ones involving sound or playability) a few corners have been cut to keep down the price - the plastic stick-on rosette being one example. It's a good guitar, but not really much cheaper than an S6, and I do like the S6, so...

The Yamaha FG-700s and FG-730s are also strong choices within your price range. I've never owned one, and have never played one for more than a few minutes, but they're well regarded. The 700's a little cheaper than the 730. I'm guessing they probably go for around $200 and $300, respectively, at a place like Guitar Center. I don't recall seeing many on craigslist, but I'm sure they turn up every so often.

I know virtually nothing about Ovation. That's not to say it's bad or anything, just that I have no experience with one. I'm not quite sure what you playing electric already has to do with you thinking of buying an Ovation acoustic.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'd strongly suggest you (1) carefully determine just what you're looking for in a guitar, and why; and (2) go to some guitar shops and play everything you can lay your hands on that's even remotely in your price range. Since you indicate you already play an electric, you can actually play the acoustic guitars and judge them that way. This puts you one step up on the beginner who can't play a guitar and has to choose one to buy.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know which guitar you wind up buying.
--
Michael