Edit: i screwed up the title, my ring finger is the one that is slightly numb

Okay so in my latest rant thread (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247760) I posted a rant about my fscked up left hand. As much as I hate these kinds of threads, today I made two vids so you guys could point out any potential problems I have.

My theory is that I had a terrible technique when I started out on the acoustic because i more or less am self taught and thats what triggered all the problems. I've had the issues for as long as I've had my electric (over a year now).

-Vids-

leads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyeBlSg1B8
rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HnwWbl39w

Please point out any issues that could be causing my problem. Remember that I also type alot as I'm a programmer and I lift weights 3 times a week.

~mike
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Last edited by mlfarrell at Dec 20, 2009,
As much as I hate to say this, it doesn't seem to be your guitar playing. Unless you normally do something different to this, the only thing I can see that would be bad is that you might be pressing too hard with your ring when bending. This would also explain the trouble arriving when you changed to electric, as one doesn't bend much playing acoustic.

Have you seen a doctor about this? It could be anything from nerve damage to focal dystonia and quite frankly, with the length of time you claim to be having had this problem I wouldn't do anything but that.

Finally, seeing as you seem to insist on playing through your problems (seriously, why?) I'd strongly recommend changing to lighter strings and the lowest action you can get. That should reduce the raw physical wear and tear on your hands.

And this belongs in guitar techniques in future, you'll tend to get better help on technical issues there.
why make 2 threads on the same topic you could of posted vids in the existing thread

the only criticism is that your fretting hand seems stiff.....which may be causing restricted blood flow and therefore numbness........try warming up properly and stay loose
Quote by Freepower

Finally, seeing as you seem to insist on playing through your problems (seriously, why)

Because, as you guys have determined, the problem is elsewhere. I tried not playing before and the problem persisted (this all stemmed from the index finger, the ring is likely okay just a little strained due to the lack of index finger strength when I lift weights). I will take a few more days off and see how it goes.

As for the index, its been a year as I said and it hasn't get better, no improvements over the time I've taken off from either lifting or guitar. I've learned to live with this problem, I'm not gonna quit playing for a whole year and end up with no improvement in the condition. My only solution would be to completely stop lifting weights, playing guitar and programming for an entire year. While the third isn't optional (its my job), the first two would plunge me into a deep depression of the likes that would be more detrimental to me than dealing with it now.

I'm waiting to get health coverage (i'm self employed) to see a doctor

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Best of luck with your problems - but make things as easy on yourself as possible.

Quick question, if the problems came since switching to electric, have you considered going acoustic again?
Quote by Freepower
Best of luck with your problems - but make things as easy on yourself as possible.

Quick question, if the problems came since switching to electric, have you considered going acoustic again?

They were FROM acoustic. I bought my Electric to make things easier. I still play my acoustic but much less as my endurance can't be built up without pain.

Edit: PS. your video game music tracks are sweet :-)

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Last edited by mlfarrell at Dec 20, 2009,