It was on standby warming up. It made a loud popping noise and all four of the power tubes went out at once.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
The mains fuse blew, which means there's something wrong with your amp. Try a retube and change the fuse.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Is the retubing going to be necessary or just the new fuse?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Is the retubing going to be necessary or just the new fuse?

The fuse messing up caused a power screw up, blowing your tubes. You need new tubes.

Edit: I got it backwards. Sounds like the tubes messed up the power flow, causing your fuse to blow.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Dec 20, 2009,
Well, I don't know if retubing will fix the problem, but the mains fuse blows to cut power to the circuit when there's something wrong with your amp, so the current will not blow any important components or cause a fire or something. Just replacing the fuse won't make the problem go away.

How old are the tubes in there now?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Well, I don't know if retubing will fix the problem, but the mains fuse blows to cut power to the circuit when there's something wrong with your amp, so the current will not blow any important components or cause a fire or something. Just replacing the fuse won't make the problem go away.

How old are the tubes in there now?
Ancient, five years, but that doesn't mean I have $100 to replace them.
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Ancient, five years, but that doesn't mean I have $100 to replace them.

I'm in the same boat more or less. My Marshall's tubes are getting old! And I'm poor.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

In that case, they need to be replaced. Putting in a new fuse won't do anything except make it blow again and possibly take some components with it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
So until I can cough up the cash for new tubes and a main fuse, it's 70 lbs of worthless junk? If it's not the first time it's given me problems and I don't want to bother with the stupid thing anymore could I sell it to a shop for a reduced price?
Considering it doesn't work, I doubt you'd get $200 for it.

Used VKs don't retain their value very well, either. A 112 on average goes for $250.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Maybe, but they'll give you next to nothing for it, since there's no way of knowing what's wrong with it from your description. It could be a 20 cent fuse, or it could be the $120 power transformer and the power tubes blowing up.
So there's nothing I can do but repair it. I'm out somewhere between $.25 and $220, not considering service charges, just in time for Christmas?
Quote by Roc8995
it could be the $120 power transformer and the power tubes blowing up.

Believe me, there's no way the VK's transformers could cost that much.

A transformer swap for a VK is like Drano for a clogged pipe.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
The fuse messing up caused a power screw up, blowing your tubes. You need new tubes.

Edit: I got it backwards. Sounds like the tubes messed up the power flow, causing your fuse to blow.

Actually what happens is either one or more of your tubes blow, causing a change in amps, which all get transfered over to the other tube, which causes it to blow, and it continues till all the tubes blow, then since there is no load, the main fuse blows to protect the circut from melting, since there is no load to transfer the volts too, so it just runs 120 volts through the circut back to netural, which is bad, in your circut you should always have 0 volts or close to it at the end of your circut after teh load.

Your tubes just blew TS, buy new ones and a new fuse and you should be all good to go.
Quote by Raijouta

Huh?
100 watt power transformers are not cheap. I'd be really surprised if they charged less than $100 for a replacement, and then you have to factor in labor.
Quote by Raijouta

He's talking about power transformers, I think you got confused about output transformers.

Heyboer PT + labor is still roughly $120-150, depending on who does the labor.

TS, it's probably just the tubes. Replace the tubes and the fuse, and you should be good to go.