I am looking for a distortion pedal under about $60. I play mostly alternative rock,but punk as well. I have been considering the Boss DS1 and the Digitech Hot Head
Gear:

Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline
Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B
For under 60USD, the best bet by far is the Digitech Bad Monkey. Transparent, distinguished, but I'm afraid your amp won't do that pedal justice.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

isnt that an overdrive?
Gear:

Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B
If you can save up just $20 or so more, you could pick up an MI Audio Crunchbox used. Blows the Hot Head and DS1 away.

Alternatively, the Dano Cool Cat Distortion could be a good pick
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Bad monkey. It's an OD, but if you use it to push your amp's gain it can get awesome.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
IMO a transparent boost probably wont work too well with the TS' solid state/modeling amps
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Ah. Didn't notice that. In that case, take a look at the MXR Distorion+ Randy Rhoads used it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Digitech has a buy 2 get one free deal. So I could get the Hot Head, Bad Monkey, and screamin blues all for $100
Gear:

Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B
you won't gain anything buying distortion pedals for a Vox AD30VT, honestly, and you shouldn't even need one, let alone 3, with a valvetronix amp...

I tried using my distortions with my vox AD50VT and they all sounded sloppy because the amp didn't react well to them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think this form needs a sticky for Distortion and OD pedals and what their typically used for.

But the Boss Ds-1 is ok if your not nit picky on your tone and you have a OD pedal to tighten it up.

I've heard nothing good of the Metal Zone. The Digitech Hot Head I've heard is about as good as the DS-1, jsut sounds different.

If I were you I would save up for a Hardwire Valve distortion or a ML-2(has a tone of gain on tap, but you can still pull very nice distortion out of it) which is what I'm going to get. Or mabey Fulltone OCD, if you want to spend the money.
so i already have the boss super od so just i just get the ds-1?
Gear:

Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B
dont waste ur money on a distortion pedal. u wont get good ones for $60 and ur Vox will sound way beter than the Boss ds-1 or the digitech.

if u really want one, these are ok
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Modtone-MTDS-Speedbox-Distortion-Pedal?sku=484932
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DD1-Fab-Tone-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151852

i suggest u save up like $30-40 more and get a digitech hardwire valve distortion sc-2
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I think the Digitech Grunge has some good alt rock and grunge era tones and it is about $45 new. You might want to look at Berhinger modeling pedal option which usually runs about $30 new. They have cheaper options for modeling Boss Distortion pedals if you want to save some money. Also someone has already mentioned the Digitech deal that is going on now with buy 2 get 1 free. I would seriously think about that because you would be getting a good deal and could score a whole range of distortion tones covering a lot of genres. Good Luck!
Quote by Supermansdead81
I think the Digitech Grunge has some good alt rock and grunge era tones and it is about $45 new. You might want to look at Berhinger modeling pedal option which usually runs about $30 new. They have cheaper options for modeling Boss Distortion pedals if you want to save some money. Also someone has already mentioned the Digitech deal that is going on now with buy 2 get 1 free. I would seriously think about that because you would be getting a good deal and could score a whole range of distortion tones covering a lot of genres. Good Luck!

so should i get the grunge, the hot head and what else would you recommend?
Gear:

Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B
I actually really love the Boss SD-1. Great vintage sounding OD that will get some nice distortion tones from your amp. It's hard to get a good "Distortion" at that price, ODs aren't as bad because there are so many cheap Tubescreamer/Boss OD knock offs.
What do you think about the MXR micro amp I heard it can be used as a distortion
Gear:

Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B