Hi all!
First post here, glad to be on board.
I am in the process of acquiring a 57' reissue strat and I want to have a tube amp to couple it with. The only problem is I live in an apartment. I want to focus my time on learning to play blues. My budget is about $600 and I would not mind buying used. Can you help me?
look into a 30 watt fender. you don't need more than that for an apartment, especially if it's tube. check out a supersonic, those are pretty versatile
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
If you're looking to play blues, go for lower-wattage amps. You'll want to get your power tubes cooking if at all possible, so something like a 5-watt amp should be suitable. You have a lot of options if you go used in the $600 range - Blackstar, Blackheart, Crate/Palomino, etc. I'll let someone else chime in with specific models.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
what kind of blues? I really like the Peavey Classic 30, the Carvin Bel air or Nomad, those are awesome amps that are tube and pretty cheap. I highly recommend carvin if you're in the U.S.
well the main question is what kind of tone are you looking for? what features do you need? almost any tube amp is going to be too loud if all you want is power tube overdrive. you'll probably want something with a master volume. i have a vox night train, and i live with 3 other guys on the 3rd floor of my building. i usually never get a chance to crank it up. even on the 7.5w mode, it gets damn loud. the master volume really helps out with getting pretty good tones at low volume though. by the way, i play a lot of bluesy, funky, rock-type stuff, and i really love my amp.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Whatever you get, a HUGE benefit would be a power attenuator. The Bugera V5 has one that goes from 5 to 1 to 1/10 of a watt, which should be fine for most apartment/dorm situations, and it's only $150.
marshall class 5
voxac4tv
blackheart little giant
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Hey, I am looking for a soft, mellow and warm sort of tone. I also like to play a lot of red hot chilli pepers stuff, so I guess some funky tones/ rhythm...john frusciante kind of tone. Therefore, definitely no metal. Emphasis here is I guess on the clean side of things. It is my 1st tube amp. Therefore, I want to do things right. Your input is incredible and very appreciated! Keep them coming!
OMG this subject has already been covered many times if you would just search, but wait this is a forum where you ask gear questions so congrats! I say Bugera V5 or V22 depending on what you may do on down the road. Both have power attenuators for wattage control and are both way under your budget. Consider this an investment in you playing future so don't settle for something that is less than the sound you are aiming for just because of living restrictions at the moment. There are ways around the apartment thing and an amp with attenuator or a stand alone unit could get you by.
Quote by Supermansdead81
OMG this subject has already been covered many times if you would just search, but wait this is a forum where you ask gear questions so congrats! I say Bugera V5 or V22 depending on what you may do on down the road. Both have power attenuators for wattage control and are both way under your budget. Consider this an investment in you playing future so don't settle for something that is less than the sound you are aiming for just because of living restrictions at the moment. There are ways around the apartment thing and an amp with attenuator or a stand alone unit could get you by.

I agree with your recommendations, but let the attenuator thread issue die already.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I agree with your recommendations, but let the attenuator thread issue die already.

Dude...seriously I don't think I just said anything about an attenuator thread. I said something about an attenuator but nothing about a thread but you can keep reliving it if you want.
Quote by Supermansdead81
Dude...seriously I don't think I just said anything about an attenuator thread. I said something about an attenuator but nothing about a thread but you can keep reliving it if you want.

I refuse to hijack another thread! You know well that your first sentence was sarcastically telling the TS he should have used the searchbar. Grow up
Like I said earlier the Bugera V5 or V22 are great options but there are others. Keep in mind that you will probably want an amp with the attenuator feature or look for a stand alone unit. I've sarcastically put the "OMG double post thing but congrats on posting anyways" in threads counting back three weeks now so it has nothing to do with a power attenuator thread if anyone thinks that. Some people just want to keep thinking they are that important but I actually want people to post comments and ask questions about gear without fear of being bashed so thank you for posting about apartment amp recommendations and I gave that without hating even though I've done it before.
Last edited by Supermansdead81 at Dec 21, 2009,
Super or Vibro Champ XD. The wattage doesn't matter much because you can get the tone you want at low volumes.
a fender pro jr and an overdrive pedal is also worth a go.

so underestimated around here. but it's a great apartment/condo amp.

or go balls deep and grab a mini Z from the doctor...

that strat deserves a nice little tube amp, do it right.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by fly135
Super or Vibro Champ XD. The wattage doesn't matter much because you can get the tone you want at low volumes.

+1 and The Vox ac4 is sweet also!
Super champ xd, ac-4, or blackheart killer ant. Pro Junior would work if you can open it up a little or get a decent overdrive, depending on how heavy you want your blues to be. There's a big difference between Johnny Winter and Robert Cray
Quote by fly135

This^ I'd go with the Super Champ XD and add something like a Jenson C12N. Should be perfect for the apartment and well within your budget.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Killer Ant or Little Giant would be good as they're neither large nor terribly loud. They're also rather inexpensive.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Hey so far, the best option seems to be Super Champ XD. However, reading the reviews people complain of compression and no headphone jack. However, I like the tone. So I was wondering are there are any other alternatives...keep them coming!
Quote by gregs1020
a fender pro jr and an overdrive pedal is also worth a go.

so underestimated around here. but it's a great apartment/condo amp.

or go balls deep and grab a mini Z from the doctor...

that strat deserves a nice little tube amp, do it right.

Great advice.

Oh, and ditch the attenuator idea, they're simply not that effective for this kind of use - 9 out of 10 times an overdrive pedal sounds better anyway.

Look for an amp with 'power scaling' though, it does a fairly good job of getting you the cranked tone at lower volumes...while an 'attenuator' (ie goes between amp and speaker) is generally more suited to, for example, bringing a cranked Plexi down to a reasonable stage volume.

Oh, and I've got to throw in the good old 'Valvepower' yet again:

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm