I love my Marshall, but it's cleans are slightly lacking.

I was considering the Roland Jazz Chorus big time. About 800USD or so used.

I would be using this as an A/B set up with my Marshall. My budget is unlimited, because this is some what hypothetical.

If you could find a great amp in a head format in conjunction with a good cab, that would be good too.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I believe there is a head version of the Jazz Chorus, don't quote me on it but I believe its 50 watts. Otherwise what about a Fender Twin/Deluxe/Super Reverb?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Definitely a Jazz Chorus if you're going for pristine, sterile cleans. If you want more warmth/body to your cleans, look elsewhere.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Perhaps a vox ac30, or maybe a Fender hot rod deluxe.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Fender Bassman (well, pretty much any Fender, really)
On the cheap side: ZT Lunchbox (with an OD or something in front to warm it up; it sounds kinda sterile otherwise)
Bugera V55
Vox AC30
Marshall Bluesbreaker
Ceriatone Overtone Special
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
if you want an insanely good clean Solid State is the way to go, like a flextone from line 6 or a roland jazz chorus
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
if you want an insanely good clean Solid State is the way to go, like a flextone from line 6 or a roland jazz chorus

My thinking indeed.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The Jazz Chorus is great, but perhaps look into a Fender Super Reverb, SF Fenders, or Sunn amps.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Silverface Bassman... I just built an A/B and A/Bing the Bassman with the VJ I just had modded has made me realize how incredible the Bassman's cleans are. Not your typical Fender, but they are godly for sure.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
There are really only 2 ways to go here.

Roland JC-120 for the sterile jazz sound that will sound awesome with pedals or a Fender Twin for a more blusey tube warmth with the possibility for tube drive.

BTW All the JCs I've seen used have been more around the $400 range
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
There are really only 2 ways to go here.

Roland JC-120 for the sterile jazz sound that will sound awesome with pedals or a Fender Twin for a more blusey tube warmth with the possibility for tube drive.

BTW All the JCs I've seen used have been more around the $400 range

Do you use sterile in a bad way?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Do you use sterile in a bad way?

The good way. As in, it won't break up no matter what you do. Plus, it makes a great pedal-platform
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Phantom123
The good way. As in, it won't break up no matter what you do. Plus, it makes a great pedal-platform

Ah. I always associated the term "sterile" to "thin sounding" or "ball-less"

And yeah, I've heard it's a great pedal platform. Good for dicking around with stuff and it can be used as a keyboard amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

I would be using this as an A/B set up with my Marshall. My budget is unlimited, because this is some what hypothetical.

If you could find a great amp in a head format in conjunction with a good cab, that would be good too.

for clean only, have a look at the following:

Fender:
Twin Reverb: massive amounts of head room, crystal clear beautiful clean tone
Super Twin: basically the above, except with a scary amount of headroom
Deluxe Reverb: same as twin reverb, but half the volume with 1 speaker
silver face fenders imo have the nicest "sterile" cleans around (sterile in this case means there is not a hint of breakup in the tone, it is pure, ice pick sharp clean)

Vox:
AC30 Handwired: IMO the greatest clean amp ever built. Its tone is very organic and very airy. It makes a "vowel' kind of sound if you get what im saying

Dr Z:
Maz 18 Jr.: very fender like, sounds a lot like a smaller bassman. very dynamic and pick sensitive... VERY expensive.

Victoria amps:
any and all: they are based on Vintage fenders and are pretty much exact clones down to the finest details... VERY expensive
Quote by lbj273
I believe there is a head version of the Jazz Chorus, don't quote me on it but I believe its 50 watts. Otherwise what about a Fender Twin/Deluxe/Super Reverb?

Deluxe or Super probably wouødm't be wanted for breakup free cleans. But, that depends on your Gigs, I guess.
I'd go for a Twin. I haven't heard a SS amp that can take it on. Other than the Jazz Chorus.
I'd honestly say that JC+Pedals is the way to go if you don't mind pedals. You can really hear your guitar and the pedal with a JC if you ever need a distortion. In some ways, it's the ultimate amp; it amplifies without distorting, period. It DOES have a distortion channel, just not a good one. It's real distortion channel is whatever pedal you feel like putting onto it
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

I'm looking at an '82 2203 to A/B with a head switcher for cleans and leave the 2204 for overdrive since it's smoother/better (IMO).

It's been problem with the switching 800s that the clean channel isn't the greatest. I blame the lack of EQ options.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
if you want nice warm cleans go for a fender

if you want sterile, go for a SS amp.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
A few weeks ago I saw Mono perform with a few other post rock bands with the opening acts using JCs and Mono using Super Twins and let me tell you, their sound was incredible! Absolutely miles above the JCs in my books, the lushest clean sounds I have ever heard. Even my non-guitar playing friend thought the cleans sounded amazing. Whilst JC was definitely clean, I did think it was a bit too thin sounding. The ST really had that extra warmth and lushness to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJbQm9zfPI confirmation
Interviewer: You've said jamming is like having an orgasm.
Neil Young: That's why a lot of my instrumentals are too short!

Fender 1988 68'reissue strat
Orange TT Head
Epi Valve Jr cab
+ many pedals (and many more to come)
I just picked up a Roland JC-120 head today. It's 120 watts. And is wonderful. Got a good deal on it i traded my Fender MIM Jbass for it.
I wouldnt EVER trade this amp.
Try and find an old used one.

Im gonna put a NAD and NCD up tomorrow. Just got a Marshall 1960AV with V30s in it. But this is off topic.

Don't give up on finding a decent used roland.