I have a little bottle of Dunlop guitar polish/cleaner that I've used to clean up my guitars. It smells, looks, and feels just like the "quick detailer" sprays you can buy for cleaning up your car. Given the fact that the clearcoat on a car is similar to that of a guitar, I assume it's pretty much the same thing.

However...while the quick detailer stuff is good for a quick cleanup on your car, it does not offer the same protection to scratch resistance and what not that a good wax does...and I'm wondering if the same holds true for guitars?

For example...I use a polish/sealer on my cars called "Liquid Glass" and it has seemed to offer good resistance to scratching. My thinking is I could use the same thing on my guitars and get more protection than I would if I were using that Dunlop "quick detailer" type stuff? Obviously I wouldn't be using it on the fret board or anything - just the lacquered areas.

Thoughts?
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Car wax dosent protect against scratching, if theres anything thats tough enough to scratch your clear coat, then its gona get through the wax farily easily. Wax protects the clear coat from fadeing, and makes water bead off so it dosent leave water stains when it rains.

Applying it to your guitar would be useless, you would rub it off every time you played.
Wax doesn't protect paint from scratching huh? It has always helped my clear coat from scratches from scuffs/brush ups vs completely bare.

Regardless, it seems to me auto wax would do a better job of cleaning and removing (hiding) swirls than that cheap quick detail crap.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Last edited by evo462 at Dec 20, 2009,