Ok so basically what has happened is that some of the holes in the neck of my squier strat (my first electric guitar) are fucked. The bolts have been pushed in and out of the holes and the guides that the drill originally shaped for the bolts (no idea what you call these) have been demolished.

I'm not horrified by this, and it happened a while ago - but it was on my mind and I was just wondering if there was anything I could do about it? I had always thought about maybe filling them with something and re-drilling the holes but have never really been sure. Another thing I was thinking of was to completely wing it, and do an incredibly unprofessional glue job on it. As in, sticking some strong glue in the holes and then pushing the bolts through, then clamping it.

What do you think?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
I would take the 4 screws out that holds the neck to the body and then throw the neck away. Get a new neck or a good used one to replace it. You can find from 100 and up. From what you are talking about it is going to cost more than that the try and repair the one you have if it can be repaired

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by PussyPunk182
Ok so basically what has happened is that some of the holes in the neck of my squier strat (my first electric guitar) are fucked. The bolts have been pushed in and out of the holes and the guides that the drill originally shaped for the bolts (no idea what you call these) have been demolished.

I'm not horrified by this, and it happened a while ago - but it was on my mind and I was just wondering if there was anything I could do about it? I had always thought about maybe filling them with something and re-drilling the holes but have never really been sure. Another thing I was thinking of was to completely wing it, and do an incredibly unprofessional glue job on it. As in, sticking some strong glue in the holes and then pushing the bolts through, then clamping it.

What do you think?

Ok, so what exactly has happened?

Were they bolts (will have a metal threaded part in the neck) or screws?

Pics?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Ok, so what exactly has happened?

Were they bolts (will have a metal threaded part in the neck) or screws?

Pics?

I was carelessly relicing the guitar (I mean battering it on the street) and I was holding onto the neck while doing this. The screws in the neck moved about and ruined the holes.

Pretty sure they're just screws.

And to the guy above skeet, I can't afford to drop £100 on the guitar, I hardly play it. I just like breaking out the single coil sound occasionally and was wondering if there was any fix I could do myself.

Give me two secs and I'll get some pics up. Thanks for the help.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056

Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Dec 20, 2009,
So the holes in the body are ok?

Buy some hardwood dowel.

Drill out the neck holes to the size of the dowel.

Glue in sections of dowel with Titebond Original.

Level it all.

Clamp the body and neck together straight.

Use a punch through the body holes and mark the position of each on the neck.

Drill pilot holes for the screws.

Fit together.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
So the holes in the body are ok?

Buy some hardwood dowel.

Drill out the neck holes to the size of the dowel.

Glue in sections of dowel with Titebond Original.

Level it all.

Clamp the body and neck together straight.

Use a punch through the body holes and mark the position of each on the neck.

Drill pilot holes for the screws.

Fit together.

+1
this is exactly what you need to do.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
you could always just fill the holes with epoxy & the pocket & screw it back together, clamp it , & leave it for a few days to dry & it should fix it ,,,,,,,,,, but make it almost impossable to get the neck off again

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Has toothpicks and glue replaced duct tape as the universal fix? And epoxy is going to be an even worse solution. Dowels is the way to go.
Yeah I guess I'll go with dowels. How do I get the drill bit to be the same size as the screws?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Quote by PussyPunk182
Yeah I guess I'll go with dowels. How do I get the drill bit to be the same size as the screws?

You don't, or they wont work!

Look at the area of damage on the neck holes. Say it is 10mm, 8mm whatever.

You need to know what size dowel you have to buy to pretty much take care of the whole are, then you drill the holes out to fit the dowels.

Once that is done and you need to pilot the holes for the screws, the drill bit wants to be roughly the size of the centre part of the screw, if you ignore the thread parts.

Say an 1/8th of an inch or 3/16ths perhaps. If you make the holes as wide as the screws, they won't bite into the wood so won't hold it.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 21, 2009,