I've always been thinking about it. Why are CDs multicolor? Can anyone explain the optic side of it? Is it refraction or difraction?
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by Wikipedia
The closely spaced tracks on the readable surface of a Compact Disc cause light to diffract into a full visible color spectrum

Google is your friend.
It's diffraction. The tiny indentations on a CDs surface act as a diffraction grating, so when light is reflected off a CD it is diffracted, so the different wavelengths leave the surface at different angles. This makes the colours change depending on the angle from which you view the CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_grating
Last edited by mynamewontfit at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
Google is your friend.

Yay! That's what I wanted to know. Thx.
Quote by DarkLiquor

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
the various things burned onto the CD cause refractions on the data side.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

As my physics teacher put it:

"Well there's these tiny pits on the CD, tiny! And there's millions upon millions of them, millions! *incoherent rambling*"

❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

No but I have an exam tomorrow on that subject and I had to search to know what it was before the exam XD
Quote by DarkLiquor

Wake up people!