hey i am 13 years old and just started playing about 2 months ago, i have a band and i dont know how to make a solo. i know pentagonic scales have something to do with it but i dont really understand it.
what you need to understand is that music is much simpler than scales. ALL famous musicians do insane amounts of drugs. The only way to get good is not to play and just drop acid all day. It worked for shredder Kurt Cobain and it can work for you.

inb4 0/10, i know.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Quote by zeemonkey
what you need to understand is that music is much simpler than scales. ALL famous musicians do insane amounts of drugs. The only way to get good is not to play and just drop acid all day. It worked for shredder Kurt Cobain and it can work for you.

inb4 0/10, i know.

I couldn't agree anymore.
Although it's Ketamine which does it for me
I Was A Feind
Allow me to explain the best I can. (It's Pentatonic by the way ^_^)

You play within the scale, you don't play the scale it's self. Pentatonic scales are usually played within the key of A (5th fret If I'm not mistaken.)

e---------------------------------------------------------5----8-------
B-------------------------------------------5---8-------------------------
G------------------------------5-7----------------------------------------
D-----------------5-7--------------------------------------------------
A----------5-7---------------------------------------------------------
E--5-8-----------------------------------------------------------------

Try playing some notes within that, add some bends, hammers, and pulls and see what you can come up with. Good luck!
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
VOX ADT50
Digitech Death Metal
Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Mick313 at Dec 20, 2009,
^
A would be 5th. And he should be playing in the key of the song.
Basically, your song is going to be in a certain key. You have to play the solo in the same key in order for it to sound good. You should learn the major, minor, and pentatonic scales, and learn how to apply them to your song. You should have no problem finding information on here about scales and building solos. Just look around a bit.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Easy now, what if he's trying to play a Kerry King solo?
Quote by pwrmax
Easy now, what if he's trying to play a Kerry King solo?

That's even less likely considering that Kerry King doesn't know what a key is.
Figure out what the key of the song is in, and use the Pentatonic scale to improvise.

Also, I should mention thatthe pentatonic scale consists of more than just that box shape. it's all over the fretboard as long as you play the five notes that the scale contains.

It also helps to learn some solos from your favorite songs.
I hate my sig
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

I don't know of any Slayer songs in A so that's a safe key to use if you're trying to sound like King.
Quote by Mick313
Pentatonic scales are usually played within the key of A if the song is in the key of A. Alternatively, if it's not in A a different pentatonic scale might be used.

Fixed.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Figure out what the key of the song is in, and use the Pentatonic scale to improvise.

Also, I should mention thatthe pentatonic scale consists of more than just that box shape. it's all over the fretboard as long as you play the five notes that the scale contains.

It also helps to learn some solos from your favorite songs.

This.

When it comes to getting good at soloing, practice is key. Gets some backing tracks in the key of whatever scale you are learning. And don't forget that you can use bends and slides to make your solos sound more interesting.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
What really helped me when I was starting is playing a song on the stereo and then noodling on the pentatonic scale along to it.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Despite the fact that I love Slayer, I can't agree more.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ