Hey, I'm about to order a guitar from Musicians Friend and I was wondering if you guys think it is a good idea or if it is worth it to get their 'coverage' plan. It's $140 for 3-year coverage. Anyone had experience or have advice regarding this? It would be for a $1,000 guitar. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Oh also, is it a bad idea to ship during the winter months? It has been between like 0-15 degrees Fahrenheit for the past couple weeks.
I bought a guitar from them recently and I did get the 3-year coverage plan.
It made sense to me. 3 years is a pretty long time and, in my experience, maybe I just have shitty luck, but things go wrong with my guitars. So IMO it's an okay deal.

Don't know about the winter shipping though
shiping should be no problem, the guitar will be kept warm by other things being shipped with it. as for the cover pla it's upto you, if you have a tendecy of damhing guitars it may be worth wgile having it, but seeing as your paying $1000 you shouldn't realy need it as it will be built to last a few years before faults should appear and the warrentys you get are pretty good, with epiphone you get lifetime warenty on manufacturing faults and 1 year on the electronics
if it's somehow messed up when you receive it, you can send it back without that extra coverage. other than that, just take care of it. there's really not a whole lot that can go wrong on a guitar that's properly cared for except maybe some electronics stuff, but that's a piece of cake to fix on your own.
Most of those coverage plans are just a waste of money and pure profit for the company. If they ship it to you and its damaged then MF or the shipper is gonna have to fix it. And any sort of defects/problems your gonna have w a guitar are probably gonna show up pretty quick, and would be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

Not sure what else a warranty like that is supposed to cover. If you drop it and the headstock snaps off its unlikely they are gonna cover that. And if you go modding anything this is gonna void the warranty.

So in this case your just going to be throwing away 140$.
I never buy extended coverage plans. I play my guitars a lot, but I never damage them. It's very easy to be careful with a guitar. However, 140 dollars for 3 years of coverage isn't bad. Just compare the coverage to the warranty you get with the guitar to decide whether you really think it's necessary.

Also, shipping in the winter months is fine. The shipping depots and vehicles are kept at room temperature or slightly higher, and the other packages around yours will act as insulators. It's not a problem, just don't let it sit outside your house for hours...
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Awesome. You guys were a big help. So the consensus is probably that shipping in winter is fine, and coverage plans are usually a wrip-off haha. Also, I was thinking that home owners insurance would cover accidental damage if anything happened anyways; At least they did when I accidentally put the headstock of my acoustic guitar through my computer screen :0 haha. Thanks everyone!
No problem man, hope you'll be happy with your guitar.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Me too! I've been searching for the 'right' electric guitar for over a year haha. This will be my first electric; I've played acoustic for a number of years. I have tried a bunch of different electrics over the course of the past year and finally found one that felt like it was made for me haha. It's a Godin Summit CT.
Oh I know I spent a long time finding the right guitar before I landed on my MH-1000, couldn't be happier now. That Godin is very nice, definitely an original choice. Are you getting it in that delicious transparent black finish?
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Oh I know I spent a long time finding the right guitar before I landed on my MH-1000, couldn't be happier now. That Godin is very nice, definitely an original choice. Are you getting it in that delicious transparent black finish?

Thank you! The MH-1000 looks like a nice guitar. I tried a few ESP/LTD's. They felt like higher quality than most of the guitars and brands I tried at guitarcenter.

I had a hard time deciding on the finish for the Godin haha. I like all three of them, they are all gorgeous. I ended up choosing the natural finish. I felt it would probably hide any little scratches the best; Yeah, I'm a little anal and fussy about keeping things looking nice, haha. It's a gift and a curse.

The natural finish looks kind of plain from the pictures on Musicians Friend because it only shows the front of the guitar, but if you go to a different site and see it from all angles it is amazing. The MF pictures don't show the binding that goes around the edges and the rich, dark, mahogany-like finish that makes up the back of the guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHMMGL_Ni2U -I had to choose the HD button to make it play for some reason. Like most pictures of guitars from the guitarcenter and musiciansfriend websites, the finishes are way more amazing in person, or in 'real' pictures and videos.
Yeah I'd say that was my 2nd favorite finish. I always like a nicely stained natural finish. I wasn't a huge fan of the Sunburst, though.

And yeah, that back looks amazing. You're going to love that ebony fretboard. They're so smooth and stay that way for a LONG time without having to oil it at all.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Yeah I'd say that was my 2nd favorite finish. I always like a nicely stained natural finish. I wasn't a huge fan of the Sunburst, though.

And yeah, that back looks amazing. You're going to love that ebony fretboard. They're so smooth and stay that way for a LONG time without having to oil it at all.

Yeah, I didn't even realize I was playing on an ebony fretboard when I saw one of these guitars in a shop. I had never played on one before. I did notice how smooth it was though.