Page 1 of 5
Seriously, I always see people use "mainstream" on this site as a type of insult. What's wrong with being mainstream? Not every band has to be incredibly skilled or every musician has to play an instrument.

I happen to love a lot of songs I hear on the radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhsRYgejes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaO8OWnzL1k

I love these songs and I feel like I'm the only one on this site who does.

I'm not looking to get flamed I'm just wondering why people seem to hate mainstrem music here.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
I don't hate mainstream music. I just hate crappy music. Too bad most mainstream music is crappy.
Depends on how you define mainstream.....although I love Coldplay so yeah I suppose I do like mainstream stuff
i dont hate mainstream, but i know what your talking about, apparently if other people know the music too it sucks
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I don't hate it. Too many people here pretend to hate it to seem cool.
This idea is retarded. Ask the general population and most of them won't like your kinda music (I'm guessing metal and other such genres.) Basically grow up and stop looking down at others. You're not better than anyone else.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I love mainstream music.

I'll listen to Girls Aloud over Dream Theater any day
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I like Muse, they don't really count though since I live in America. I've heard that they're pretty mainstream in Europe though.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
i think alot of people here trash mainstream music because it isnt really guitar related.. as i would expect since we are on a guitar-site. But I like rap and hip-hop as well, so your not alone.
Quote by maidenfan15
Seriously, I always see people use "mainstream" on this site as a type of insult. What's wrong with being mainstream? Not every band has to be incredibly skilled or every musician has to play an instrument.

I'm not looking to get flamed I'm just wondering why people seem to hate mainstrem music here.

Thoughts? Opinions?

lolnah
I'm just so sick of prejudice against any genres and the whole concept of "mainstream" music. Who gives a damn - music has talent whether you're composing, singing, playing an instrument etc and people who have an intense hatred of radio/pop music or whatever just really need to learn to appreciate it for what it is.

Categorization for the purposes of prejudice is pathetic.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

if i hear a good song, i like it, no matter who it's by or if i hear it on the radio or not. and yes, there are a number of songs out on the radio these days that i do rather enjoy.
i think people think its cool if they are centred to one style of music, like people say "im a metal guy!" oh so you can't listen to rap music or acoustic music? some people like saying they dont like the mainstream too, like being a fan of music that is unheard of is cool because no one else likes it, i personally will listen to anything with an open mind

it is sort of annoying, some people need to broaden their musical horizons
I do not hate mainstream music. I hate bands/artists. Not genres or labels such as mainstream or underground.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
there are mainstream bands that i like
but its just mainstream all sounds the same to me.
you need to search for brilliant music, and give it time so you can digest it.
by listening to mainstream music you are listening to what big labels are telling you listen to.
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
I don't mind it at all. I actually have Taylor Swift's "Fearless" (album), which I listen to regularly, along with the music that many here listen to. I'm not huge on hip-hop, but dismissing mainstream music as crap is just ridiculous. Pop is catchy and generally pretty entertaining.
Originally Posted by bucktheduck
You think you're any better, swamping in sexual filth with fangs bared and blood red eyes? I see through the cold blood of you reptiles, none of you can do any good to a world that I need to fix.

Apparently, me.
I actually love a lot of mainstream music. I love Lily Allen, Take That, Leona Lewis, Robbie Williams and loads of other artists that would be considered "mainstream." I'll listen to any artist if they write good songs, it doesn't matter whether it's "mainstream" or not.
A
D
T
R

yes? no? they sure are popular
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Venice King
This idea is retarded. Ask the general population and most of them won't like your kinda music (I'm guessing metal and other such genres.) Basically grow up and stop looking down at others. You're not better than anyone else.

Is this aimed at me?
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Mainstream music isn't always bad. It's just that bad music is often mainstream.

+1

I love a lot of mainstream rock eg. Green Day, Jet, Wolfmother, The Offspring etc.
But there's so much mainstream pop and rnb that is just utter shit
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by lordofthefood1
A
D
T
R

yes? no? they sure are popular

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
i love both them songs you posted TS
My Gear

Epiphone G400 Custom (Tuned to Standard/Drop D)

Dean DFH Baby (Tuned to Drop C)

Epiphone Special II (Tuned to Drop B/Drop A)

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
yea some is good. i like lady gaga and a lot of mainstream songs, some of them i dont like of course, but i do like some as well.

if i like it, i like it, if i dont i dont.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by ctb
The good music is good. And the bad music is bad.

WTF???

I like mainstream music that has guitar, bass, and drums in it. Im assuming everyone on UG does too.
I like the Killers, Mayday Parade, All American Rejects and Foo Fighters. They're pretty mainstream I think. Otherwise I don't really pay attention to what people currently like.
Skillet and Decyfer Down are 2 of my most favorite bands and they could be considered mainstream, especially Skillet's new CD.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by maidenfan15
Is this aimed at me?

Yes. It can be applied to anyone who share your views though. Enjoy.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I like a lot of what I would consider "mainstream" music.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
WTF???

I like mainstream music that has guitar, bass, and drums in it. Im assuming everyone on UG does too.
lol I like almost everything the world of music throws at me.
Quote by maidenfan15

Thoughts? Opinions?

...wut?

I'm gunna assume you mean vocals right?
I don't hate mainstream music. I hate music that is written so that the writers/band will become mainstream. If you write a song that gets a ton of radio airplay because you genuinely liked the song and it came from what was in your head, I respect you even though I might still hate the song. If you write a song that gets a ton of radio airplay because you wanted to write a song that got radio airplay, I have absolutely no respect for you whatsoever.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Page 1 of 5