can alnico be pumped with a lot of gain and still sound clear?
or can i still get a lot of warmth with a ceramic pup and if so whats a good pup to help with that?
alnico are pretty flexible. Most Gibson pups have alnico magnets and are very flexible, you could just have two alnico pickups and you'd be fine.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
alnico are pretty flexible. Most Gibson pups have alnico magnets and are very flexible, you could just have two alnico pickups and you'd be fine.

i have an alexi 600 so i only got 1 pup
a lot of times the neck pickup is an alnico and the bridge is a ceramic magnet. Thats how it is with the EMG 81/85 combo that is extremely good with gain. I love the sound of the 85 just completely coated with distortion. Very tube/wah-like.
Quote by Trivium7
a lot of times the neck pickup is an alnico and the bridge is a ceramic magnet. Thats how it is with the EMG 81/85 combo that is extremely good with gain. I love the sound of the 85 just completely coated with distortion. Very tube/wah-like.

i dont know im just tryin to do somthing differnt lol
i use the EMG 60 alnico in the bridge and i love it. never noticed anything weird when i use a little or a lot of distortion. id recommend it over the 81 actually.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
i use the EMG 60 alnico in the bridge and i love it. never noticed anything weird when i use a little or a lot of distortion. id recommend it over the 81 actually.

intresting idea
Quote by SYLrules88

Hm.. I might have to experiment with this..

Though don't be confused TS, the EMG 60 in the neck and an 81 in the bridge are two VERY different beasts.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
your third thread about pickups? really? is it necessary? just ask everything in one thread, damn...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
before last string change, i had the 81 in the bridge and my 60a in the neck. the 60a tended to get muddy so i think the 85 makes for a much better neck pup. and the 81, while it can deliver searing distortion, the high end could get a little harsh and the midrange was lacking a bit. all this may vary from amp to amp but it's definitely worth trying the 60a in the bridge.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

In general...

alnico magnets tend to roll off the top end, sound warmer and have a slight "sag" to the bass compared to ceramic magnets.

ceramic magnets tend to sound have better treble, sound brighter and have slightly better bass response compared to alnico magnets.

However, the sonic characteristics still depend strongly on the actual pup, i.e. wires, windings etc.

There are some ceramic magnet pickups which sound warm, whereas alnico pups can also be used for high gain. The wire and the winding contribute a lot towards the overall pickup voicing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.