My parents are in the process of divorce right now and my mom has moved into another house. A few hours ago I went over to spend some time with her and she asked me "Will you and (my sister) come clear out this house if something were to happen to me?" She was in tears and on her laptop screen there was some website up about how to kill yourself quickly and painlessly. I understand why she is in this state of mind. She's going through a divorce, she thinks my sister and I don't care about her, and her stepdad is dying of what we suspect is cancer. I sat and talked with her for a while and she said she's probably to scared too actually kill herself, but I'm still worried about her.

I don't know what to do...
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 20, 2009,
Quick! To the Pit!

EDIT:^that sounds harsh

Make her feel important by doing stuff with her.
Last edited by sticksause at Dec 20, 2009,
spend as much time with her as you possibly can, dude. moms love their kids more than anything in the world, so give her something to stick around for. show her it's not so bad as long as she's got her kid(s) on her side.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by sticksause
Quick! To the Pit!

I'm sorry, TS. give her a hug? call her and tell her you love her?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Well you did the best thing and confronted her. Let her know how much she means to you and how you would feel is she did it. Explain that even though life may be down now, it won't be forever and if she needs help you're there for her.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Make sure that she knows you care, spend time with her. In this state of mind, I'd suggest you try to spend a decent amount of time with her (as you always should) just showing her that you care for her. Try to let it be known that it wouldn't just be affecting her if she did it as well. Suicide is selfish when you think about it. Make sure to still give her her space though. Time to think and work things out within herself is just as important as the time you spend attempting to show her you care. And if you don't care...well then shame on you =/.
Originally Posted by bucktheduck
You think you're any better, swamping in sexual filth with fangs bared and blood red eyes? I see through the cold blood of you reptiles, none of you can do any good to a world that I need to fix.

Apparently, me.
There are other people that'll do much better with advice than us lot.

Also, it sounds like she isn't too sure at all. You gotta be with her, make her remember all the love she has around her.
I have spent time with her, and so has my sister. But she just doesn't see it that way.
Stay in constant contact. Let her know she matters.
And tell your Dad.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
And tell your Dad.

She specifically asked me not to tell him. Should I do it anyways? My dad isn't the most sensitive person and he's the kind of guy that would say "I told you so."
Quote by sticksause

Make her feel important by doing stuff with her.
I agree 100%
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
murder her
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

Honestly, just make it painfully obvious how much you love her, try and spend as much time possible with her and make her happy.

Quote by StewieSwan
She specifically asked me not to tell him. Should I do it anyways? My dad isn't the most sensitive person and he's the kind of guy that would say "I told you so."

Don't. If she found out, which she most likely would, she would feel betrayed and embarrassed. That could actually push her to ending her life.
Last edited by IEatOrphans at Dec 20, 2009,
STOP ASKING THE INTERNET HOW TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS! Jesus if you think someone is going to commit suicide dont go write about it, ****ing stop them from ending their own life in vein.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by StewieSwan
I have spent time with her, and so has my sister. But she just doesn't see it that way.

Is your mother the type that makes decisions in haste? Or the stubborn type? And when you're under the stress she's in, good things are pretty much dulled. Depression causes a lack of emotion, obviously less of the good and more of the bad. She's likely to think less of what you're doing. Little nice things are good too. Breakfast in bed and the like will show her that you care. She's having a bad time, brighten it. At very worst, as in you're thinking there's a good chance she may do it, recommend a doctor. And by recommend, I mean insist very, very heavily. They can set up medication, counseling, etc.
You think you're any better, swamping in sexual filth with fangs bared and blood red eyes? I see through the cold blood of you reptiles, none of you can do any good to a world that I need to fix.

Apparently, me.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Don't keep it to yourself. Get her to see a doctor ASAP and make sure the doctor knows she's contemplating suicide.

People quote and agree with me so TS gets the message that this needs to be done.

quoting and agreeing for emphasis

sorry about this man. I'd say i know how you feel but i really don't. my condolences. do everything you can think of to help.
Quote by Nthomp
Is your mother the type that makes decisions in haste? Or the stubborn type? And when you're under the stress she's in, good things are pretty much dulled. Depression causes a lack of emotion, obviously less of the good and more of the bad. She's likely to think less of what you're doing. Little nice things are good too. Breakfast in bed and the like will show her that you care. She's having a bad time, brighten it. At very worst, as in you're thinking there's a good chance she may do it, recommend a doctor. And by recommend, I mean insist very, very heavily. They can set up medication, counseling, etc.

She's a very impulsive person.
Quote by Metallizach
murder her

Wtf is the matter with you?
"I don't claim you'll have a better time with Colt 45...but why take chances" - Billy Dee Williams
Quote by magnus_maximus
Often when people commit suicide they know exactly what effects it'll have on the people they love, making them more guilty about it is a bit risky. Although saying that, you don't want them to feel that they're unloved. Paradoxically, some think it'll make those around them's life better if they aren't being a burden. It's extremely difficult to handle people that desperate.

Yah, it's hard to say. You have to be in a pretty rough place to do it...
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by StewieSwan

Ya you should. They have a relationship and always will. Doesn't matter why it's falling apart. He still cares for her. She is the mother of his children. That fact will never change. Make him aware. If you really think he is that big of an ass let him know you think that as well. Her life is more important than anything else at this point. Tell him.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by J.Rodier
Wtf is the matter with you?

Jus' Sayin'

GOSH!
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

My mom tried to kill herself once.

I was only about eight.

She sent me some awesome arts and crafts from the mental institution.

Everything will get better.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Metallizach
Jus' Sayin'

GOSH!

Well how about next time you just shut the fuck up instead?
Quote by StewieSwan

Then the very worst thing you can do is to set her off. Little good things, those will help. If she's impulsive, they'll also likely brighten her up faster. Things not to do:
Don't tell your father. Most likely a bad idea. What were the circumstances of the divorce (if you would like to talk about it, I understand why you wouldn't want to)? If it's anything along the lines of something that would make her hate him, or dislike to a good extent at least, telling him would be very, very bad. If it was kind of mutual, and both of them pretty much still get along, it's not too bad of an idea.
2. Don't complain about the depression. She'll get guilty, or get a sense of "they don't even care I'm sad"
3. When she is in a bad mood, make sure to let her know you care, but leave her to herself. Don't try to "crowd" her or argue.
4. Again, just spend alot of time with her. Seeing movies, meals, etc.

These are just my own experiences as far as people thinking about suicide or those who are really really depressed go. You know your mother far more than any of us do, you know what makes her happy.

Apparently, me.
Quote by Metallizach
Jus' Sayin'

GOSH!

Don't be an asshole. This is a serious situation, not something to joke about. Suicide is a matter that affects quite a few people, as does depression. The fact that you joked about it pretty much shows you're a prick, especially knowing the circumstances.

Apparently, me.
i'm in the same boat as you but i dont think my mom is going as far as yours is, just reassure to her that you love her and you'll be there
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Nthomp
Don't be an asshole. This is a serious situation, not something to joke about. Suicide is a matter that affects quite a few people, as does depression. The fact that you joked about it pretty much shows you're a prick, especially knowing the circumstances.

You have to remember this is the pit.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Quote by dustyboy316

There are plenty of intelligent and caring people in the pit.

My sister and I are going to go over to watch some TV and have dinner with her now. I'll bump this thread when I get back.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by sticksause
Quick! To the Pit!

sorry man, Its not funny

IMO honestly all you need to do is tell her how much you love her and need her
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by dustyboy316

No matter where or what you're doing you don't have the right to act like an ass to a person just asking for help. The OP has done nothing to the person, yet he's making jokes about a situation involving the mental health of a person. Ridiculous. Jokes are fine, sarcasm is fine, but not with something serious.

Apparently, me.
Quote by StewieSwan

This is a huge problem when it comes to this sort of situation. Suicide is certainly not something you, "just do" it's a big deal...

The only thing I can think of is that if she's really considering it, she needs to go to the hospital. When I went in, it really helped me put things in perspective. I know it's a difficult thing to talk about, but seriously if you can bring it up with her and she agrees, it'd be the best place for her.

Good luck, and keep me posted on what's going on. If you need to talk about anything, we've got the hugging thread that's like an all night diner, and feel free to PM me if you like.