Page 1 of 2
Hi All,

My Name is Ashwin and I am from India...
I have been playing acoustic for about 6 months now...
I am very enthusiastic about playing guitar and I know am not giving it up...
So now I want to buy an electric guitar something better than just a basic one...
I am willing to spend a maximum of $1000...
Can anyone help me?

Thanks In Advance
Have a nice day all!!

(...and also English isn't my 1st language so pardon any mistakes on my part )
$1000 USD??? thats actually a pretty wide range for just a guitar. I'm hoping this is for guitar and amp as well.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Hey Ashwin. What type of music do you listen to? Does $1000 include an amp? (you do mean U.S. Dollars right?)
if it's just a guitar, get like a ibanez S series prestige model.... a good guitar for almost all styles of music....

if your playing metal get a low end ESP Standard or a high end LTD model

EDIT: I also forgot, schecter is a good guitar for rock/metal, and the schecter c-1 classic has some good cleans to for blues n stuff
OMG thats really quick! thanks for the replies...
Sorry for not making it clear, Yes that includes an Amp $1000 (US Dollars) :-D
I have been saving up for the last 1 year!
...and I listen to rock and a little bit of metal!

A friend of mine recommended the Fender Strat... is that good? Any info?
Last edited by ashwin123 at Dec 20, 2009,
$1000 isnt that much

my guitar was £600bp (british pounds), thats about $1200

and it was just a guitar
Quote by ashwin123
...and I listen to rock and a little bit of metal!

Ok Ashwin can you name some bands? Like what type of sound are you looking for?

like are you looking for drop A korn metal tones, or Drop D Nickleback tones?etc. etc.
Quote by ashwin123
OMG thats really quick! thanks for the replies...
Sorry for not making it clear, Yes that includes an Amp $1000 (US Dollars) :-D
I have been saving up for the last 1 year!

well, this forum is normally very quick with answers

and we asked cause you did say you were in india.

for a guitar? I'd look at trying to find a Schecter C-1+. it's very versatile and can handle a really large spectrum of different styles. as for an amp, what music do you like and would like to play? name some of your favorite bands.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by link no1
$1000 isnt that much

my guitar was £600bp (british pounds), thats about $1200

and it was just a guitar

$1000 is like kinda huge in india... its my 3 months pay :-D
I do know what u meant tho :-D
Quote by Darkdevil725
Id suggest looking at the Agiles at rondomusic.com and using the rest of that money on a good amp.

rondo is US. he's in India. shipping and importing charges would be a bitch.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by nickdohle
Ok Ashwin can you name some bands? Like what type of sound are you looking for?

like are you looking for drop A korn metal tones, or Drop D Nickleback tones?etc. etc.

I really have no Idea.... Like I said I've been playing only for about 6 months and have never played electric... sorry If am coming off as too vague :-( but I'd like to learn to play stuff like evanescence songs (..if dats off any help)
Quote by ashwin123
I really have no Idea.... Like I said I've been playing only for about 6 months and have never played electric... sorry If am coming off as too vague :-(

well, what are your favorite rock and metal bands?
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by ashwin123
A friend of mine recommended the Fender Strat... is that good? Any info?

They can be amazing depending on what you get.

Heres my suggestion

You like Rock and Metal. An Epiphone Les Paul Standard would be a good choice. Go the normal, or plain top unless you have to have the Flamed top.

As for an amp, id look into a ( I hate saying this) A peavey vyper. They get raved on around here.

But for a more rock sound, (a better one too) try looking into Black Heart amps. They get great rock sounds.
Quote by randomhero93
well, this forum is normally very quick with answers

and we asked cause you did say you were in india.

for a guitar? I'd look at trying to find a Schecter C-1+. it's very versatile and can handle a really large spectrum of different styles. as for an amp, what music do you like and would like to play? name some of your favorite bands.

Quicker than I can reply here :-D Thanks a lot to all again!!!

I'd like to play rock starting off with evanescence I also like Greenday, Metallica, JEts Overhead ... to name a few!!!
If your still new to electirics, try a Marshall MG, not to expensive and not too good.
The guitar can be… an Ibanez RG300 or less
Quote by ashwin123
Quicker than I can reply here :-D Thanks a lot to all again!!!

I'd like to play rock starting off with evanescence I also like Greenday, Metallica, JEts Overhead ... to name a few!!!

the C-1+ can handle all of that depending on your amp and how it's eq'd. and that'll leave you with enough money left over for a decent tube amp too.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by Fiire
If your still new to electirics, try a Marshall MG, not to expensive and not too good.
The guitar can be… an Ibanez RG300 or less

no

especially with a starter budget like that.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by nickdohle
They can be amazing depending on what you get.

Heres my suggestion

You like Rock and Metal. An Epiphone Les Paul Standard would be a good choice. Go the normal, or plain top unless you have to have the Flamed top.

As for an amp, id look into a ( I hate saying this) A peavey vyper. They get raved on around here.

But for a more rock sound, (a better one too) try looking into Black Heart amps. They get great rock sounds.

I live in south India, Chennai to be precise... Any Guitar/Amp needs to be traced and ordered... The only brand that has a showroom here is Yamaha... So I was thinking of going with Yam for the Amp and ordering the guitar....

Just to Clarify I want to buy a Yamaha Amp and make up my mind (...with your help) and buy a good guitar
OHHHHH. Ok. So you have 1,000 bucks on a guitar. Hmm.. I dont know really. Im kinda stumped. Hahaha.
Quote by randomhero93
rondo is US. he's in India. shipping and importing charges would be a bitch.

Man I was looking into ordering some time back and the shipping and import charges were about $300-$400 :'(
Quote by ashwin123
Man I was looking into ordering some time back and the shipping and import charges were about $300-$400 :'(

yeah. well, if you've got a $1000 budget on just the guitar, you can order a decent Agile, but it wouldn't be worth it compared to if you got a guitar that didn't have import charges for the same price.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by nickdohle
OHHHHH. Ok. So you have 1,000 bucks on a guitar. Hmm.. I dont know really. Im kinda stumped. Hahaha.

LOL

til now these are the suggestions I have

American Strat
ibanez s prestige
Schecter C-1+
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG

Let me look into these... I'll keep posting if and when I have I have questions... If there are any other models I should look into please let me know!!!

Have a gr8 day all!
Quote by ashwin123
LOL

til now these are the suggestions I have

American Strat
ibanez s prestige
Schecter C-1+
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG

Let me look into these... I'll keep posting if and when I have I have questions... If there are any other models I should look into please let me know!!!

Have a gr8 day all!

you know this is an amp, right? and quite honestly, it's terrible for the price. most of it's price is just because it says Marshall on it.

those guitars are all great ones too. and they are all really different feels and tones.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
you know this is an amp, right? and quite honestly, it's terrible for the price. most of it's price is just because it says Marshall on it.

those guitars are all great ones too. and they are all really different feels and tones.

Ask him about the Marshall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0
Quote by Fiire
Ask him about the Marshall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0

i know, I know, but you can still do way so much better for the price. this new line is a little better, but still not worth it.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93

hehe i do know now... checked them out... it seems that mosr reviews compare the guitars to the Fender american strat... is that the best of the lot?

When i inquired @ a shop dey told me it should cost about $400 to order? Is that true? Online I saw it for around $800 for the standard model...

I'm guessing the guy at the shop had no idea and was guessing a price... or am i missing something here?

Once again thanks to all for da help!

Ashwin
Last edited by ashwin123 at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by randomhero93
i know, I know, but you can still do way so much better for the price. this new line is a little better, but still not worth it.

How much will the Marshall come to?
sorry for bumping but I'm planning on buy it soon and need your advice ppl!!!

Sorry again!
i have found out that the price is Rs.54000 that is around $1200 is that right? Fender American Stratocaster Standard
That would be a really nice guitar. Let me ask you this though. What Yamaha guitars are available to you? You said there was a Yammy dealer in Chennai? There are some very good Yamaha guitars, and you wouldn't have to pay the import/luxury tax like for ordering a USA Fender.
What would be a good yamaha guitar? I want to buy a gr8 guitar that, say in a couple of years, I shouldn't feel like switching! If you can suggest a good Yammy model I'll find the price and we can see if its worth getting that over a Fender!

Thanks a lot for your help!
A Yamaha Pacifica 112 with the best amp you can get with what's left over. The best thing about this is, you can go to the store and try them out to see what you like!
Quote by Commodor 64
A Yamaha Pacifica 112 with the best amp you can get with what's left over. The best thing about this is, you can go to the store and try them out to see what you like!

The Pacifica 112J comes to $310... compared to the strat what would be the difference?
Well that's just it...if you order the USA strat, I assume you won't be able to try it out, hold it, play around with it. If you want a Strat type guitar, then the Pacifica is a pretty good clone...and you can go down to the store and try out as many as they have... If you are dead set on dropping the full $1k, just order the Strat, and hope you like it.

I would suggest going to the store...and trying whatever they have there...you might find a gem. Yammy makes other types of guitars. Try some, come back here and post what types of guitar they are, as well as your impressions.
http://www.bajaao.com/

Check the stuff they have there.

I recommend going cheap around less than Rs.25000 for your first electric guitar considering its only been 6months since you started playing. Try to find a solid state amp to go with it 30W solid state amp should be plenty, probably look at laney. Save the extra cash that you will be spending later for cables/pedals/metronomes/strings/ etc.
Nothing against fender just that you pay more for the name rather than the guitar.(i'm guessing its a MIM strat that ya looking at so this implies to it, the MIA strats are on a whole different level but no good if you have a crap amp to go with them... )
Page 1 of 2