I doubt anyone has a vast knowledge of Mark II's, but how would you differentiate between the IIA, IIB, IIC and IIC+?

Someone that wants to do an amp swap with me has a Mark II but they're not sure which one it is.

Thanks
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Call Mesa with the serial number?

Most reliable way I can think of.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Call Mesa with the serial number?

Most reliable way I can think of.

That's probably what it's going to end up coming down to. I was curious if there were any other methods though. In the case that it is a Mark IIC+, I don't want the seller to notice. Although dirty, I would get an amazing deal...hehe.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by Junnage
That's probably what it's going to end up coming down to. I was curious if there were any other methods though. In the case that it is a Mark IIC+, I don't want the seller to notice. Although dirty, I would get an amazing deal...hehe.

Fix'd
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Quote by zeemonkey
Fix'd

lol I don't know what you're talking about
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage

I found this...

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkSeries.html

also reproduced here...
http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/micKamps/Mesa-Boogie-Mk-History.html

I don't think there is anyway you can tell a Mark II apart from the others without alerting the seller, other than taking it apart, and even then, it'll take a trained eye.

Anyway you can tell one of the MkII apart from any other, the seller will also be able to locate such information from the interwebz.

Alternatively call Mesa and ask if there is any discrete identifying markings between the different generations of MkIIs. Altho I doubt that'd work.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
IIC+'s have a + above where the power cord comes out, but definitely send Mesa the serial number and ask, some people might put the + there to sell the amp for more. Also, asking Mesa will tell you whether its an original IIC+ or another II upgraded to C+ specs. Supposedly the original C+'s sound different than upgraded models, even though they're upgraded to the same specs.
Quote by littlephil
IIC+'s have a + above where the power cord comes out, but definitely send Mesa the serial number and ask, some people might put the + there to sell the amp for more.

Yeah, that forgery part is a massive identification problem.

Quote by littlephil
Also, asking Mesa will tell you whether its an original IIC+ or another II upgraded to C+ specs. Supposedly the original C+'s sound different than upgraded models, even though they're upgraded to the same specs.

Even Mesa admits that upgrading the IIC to an IIC+ changes the sound of the amp. However, I understand that an upgraded IIC+ is supposed to be identical to an originak IIC+, assuming samililar features like EQ and Simul-Class etc.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )