What do these terms mean when they are describing tone? I really don't understand when people are talking about certian pickups/tones and describe them with these terms.

Bright?
Clean?
Warm?
Twangy?
Muddy?
Smooth?
Sweeter?
Harsh?

Any others I missed?

If it's hard to describe them, a popular band or certian solos with the same sound would do, thanks.

Also what would a Squier Affinity Series w/ stock pickups sound be characterized besides shitty
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
The definition changes person to person but generally it means

Bright - Trebley
Clean - It can mean anything from no mistakes while playing, to a clean guitar sound (no distortion), or clarity (you can hear each note well).
Warm - Think neck pickups.
Twangy - Think of a twang sound like from a bow and arrow, and mix it with a guitar sound.
Muddy - Usually means you can't hear each note well
Smooth - Like a legato or something. As in not too much pick attack sounds.
Sweet - Never heard this used really.
Harsh - Just something that sounds bad.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Bright: sounds very loud and hurts your ears, or it sounds louder in the aspect of higher pitch sounds.

Clean: Refers to the channel on your amp that is not distorted, or just means something that is not distorted or is clear.

Warm: Means it has a very fluid feel to it, like it dosent sound bright, its very clean, and responsive, dosent sound steril.

Twangy: Refers to the strat usually, or the way single coils sound. Or, it sort of like bright, but with more warmth to it, think of country music.

Muddy: when each individual note is not audiable clearly, and sounds mash together.

Smooth: No hesitation in chord changes, or note changes, it flows easily, no breaks in the playing.

Sweeter: No idea, never heard this used, mabey means awesomer.

Harsh: Means that when you listen to it, it either hurts your ears, or dosent sound good, or is really broken up.
probably twangy or bright because of the SC pups, but i wouldn't even say that. just sh!tty.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by ethan_hanus
Bright: sounds very loud and hurts your ears, or it sounds louder in the aspect of higher pitch sounds.

Clean: Refers to the channel on your amp that is not distorted, or just means something that is not distorted or is clear.

Warm: Means it has a very fluid feel to it, like it dosent sound bright, its very clean, and responsive, dosent sound steril.

Twangy: Refers to the strat usually, or the way single coils sound. Or, it sort of like bright, but with more warmth to it, think of country music.

Muddy: when each individual note is not audiable clearly, and sounds mash together.

Smooth: No hesitation in chord changes, or note changes, it flows easily, no breaks in the playing.

Sweeter: No idea, never heard this used, mabey means awesomer.

Harsh: Means that when you listen to it, it either hurts your ears, or dosent sound good, or is really broken up.

Ive never heard "bright" used to describe something that is loud and hurts your ears
Quote by subzero364
Ive never heard "bright" used to describe something that is loud and hurts your ears

Oh trust me, if you have a bright switch on your amp, and your running a pedal distortion, hit that bright switch and your ears will hurt with all the treble.

But thats just one way of describing it. Another way you can describe bright is something that sound happier, or less bassy.
People have already helped you, but I'll see if I can help you further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRfODd9v8s
The Telecaster is twangier, especially with the bridge bickup. Both are very bright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1eyz9NhzXs
The last two channels are HARSH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FqJRc8nh4
Warm, and slightly muddy (muddy is generally undesired, but not in this case)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQtlPMg8zw
Starts out clean, and the lead playing is very smooth

Sweet doesn't really have a specific definition. If someone referred to a tone as a sweet tone, they're just saying GOOD tone.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.