instead of going to wikipedia and copying and pasting what it is, can you dumb it down, and explain it to me? thanks xD

Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
pretty much controls the wattage level, so you can crank a 100W all tube amp, but can keep it at bedroom levels without sacrificing any tube tone
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
pretty much controls the wattage level, so you can crank a 100W all tube amp, but can keep it at bedroom levels without sacrificing any tube tone

thanks doode!

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
its just something that takes all the power that is coming from your amp and turns it into heat before it hits the speaker so that you're reducing the wattage.

Searchbar...

Reduces the power coming from your amp by changing part of that power into heat, so less power hits your speakers.

In essence, it allows you to crank your master volume without losing your hearing.

But I see some UGers have developed patience.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If this was Jeopardy, the answer to this would be "What is a useless thread"

no need to be a douche bag.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by natehimself

If I were you, I'd be prepared for a lot more "douche" comments if you don't figure out the culture around UG quick enough.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by natehimself

No need to create threads that would take longer to write than it would just to google it..

I'm pretty sure there's a description of what an attenuator is in the General amp info thread anyway and I don't appreciate being called a douche bag next time i'll report it

kthx
Quote by natehimself

Especially after the so-called "useless" question has already been answered
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by ragingkitty

Searchbar...

Reduces the power coming from your amp by changing part of that power into heat, so less power hits your speakers.

In essence, it allows you to crank your master volume without losing your hearing.

But I see some UGers have developed patience.

Only resistive attenuators do this. Weber MASS attenuators drive a speaker motor without a cone to bleed off the excess power.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
No need to create threads that would take longer to write than it would just to google it..

I'm pretty sure there's a description of what an attenuator is in the General amp info thread anyway and I don't appreciate being called a douche bag next time i'll report it

kthx

alright, alright.

i googled it, and they were using terms i just didn't understand.

let's act our age shall we? i apologize.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Only resistive attenuators do this. Weber MASS attenuators drive a speaker motor without a cone to bleed off the excess power.

Maybe a better term would be to "bleed off part of the power delivered by the amp"... but I am not entirely familiar with attenuators, only somewhat familiar with the THD style attenuators... which based on your follow-up is described as a resistive attenuator.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Maybe a better term would be to "bleed off part of the power delivered by the amp"... but I am not entirely familiar with attenuators, only somewhat familiar with the THD style attenuators... which based on your follow-up is described as a resistive attenuator.

Correct. Basically the attenuator just takes an amount of power from the signal and converts it to another form so less of it drives the speaker.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
thanks, i understand completely what it is now. maybe it wasn't such a "useless" thread, and it helped someone else understand too.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by Head BANGER 81
Especially after the so-called "useless" question has already been answered

Yeah and then the same guys keep talking about the subject and thread after they said it was useless but they want to report someone. How hypocritical can people be. You should not dog someone for posting something in a guitar gear forum when that's what the forum is for anyways. You know if this is the attitudes people have then they shouldn't be in the forums or allowed to make any posts themselves. You all need to act your ages for even replying to the thread if you thought is was useless to start with. How about the next time one of you people think a thread is useless, just don't post anything in that thread and everybody will be happy and move along with their forum activities. I mean before any rude comments where made, the guy was getting honest, nice, and informative replies.
Quote by Supermansdead81
Yeah and then the same guys keep talking about the subject and thread after they said it was useless but they want to report someone. How hypocritical can people be. You should not dog someone for posting something in a guitar gear forum when that's what the forum is for anyways. You know if this is the attitudes people have then they shouldn't be in the forums or allowed to make any posts themselves. You all need to act your ages for even replying to the thread if you thought is was useless to start with. How about the next time one of you people think a thread is useless, just don't post anything in that thread and everybody will be happy and move along with their forum activities. I mean before any rude comments where made, the guy was getting honest, nice, and informative replies.

You are brand new so i'll let it slide. Once you've been here 3+ months and have seen the tidal wave of duplicate threads over and over you will be in the same boat. I don't know how the 1+ year guys stand it. The searchbar is there for a reason. I'm glad TS got his answer, but when he blatantly admits in his first post that he was too lazy to do a simple search it aggrevates people
Quote by AxSilentxLine
You are brand new so i'll let it slide. Once you've been here 3+ months and have seen the tidal wave of duplicate threads over and over you will be in the same boat. I don't know how the 1+ year guys stand it. The searchbar is there for a reason. I'm glad TS got his answer, but when he blatantly admits in his first post that he was too lazy to do a simple search it aggrevates people

I get it... lets have Supermansdead81 handle all the duplicate threads.

I'd like to see how long he holds out before he goes "searchbar".
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^

I admit that its very nasty and discouraging when you ask a question and then get "Searchbar" yelled at you.

Sure, we chase a number of n00bs off that way.

However, it IS listed in the Rules of GG&A that before creating a new thread you should search to see if a similar thread has been created and addressed.

The TS WAS IN THE WRONG for:
1. Not reading the rules
2. Not using the searchbar
3. Being lazy

The only reason GG&A is not absurdly flooded with useless duplicate thread is because of the efforts of older GG&A vets yelling "SEARCHBAR" at all the idiots who refused to follow the rules.

I don't know one GG&A'er who has never had "searchbar" thrown in their faces.

The only "duplicate" threads which tend to be allowed are threads which seek gear recommendation as each UG'er's gear and needs will differ significantly.

Lets all PM Supermansdead81 all the duplicate threads to handle, then he'd understand why we're so picky about using the search bar.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by AxSilentxLine

That's so cute that you'll let it slide. I'm so happy now. I was actually worried for a minute that you wouldn't let it, oh wait how did you put it.....Oh Yeah, let it slide. Do you honestly judge people on there registration dates under there name on here? I guess you probably do since you were so hung up on this guy's thread he made. Just because someone's date is newer than yours does not mean that they haven't viewed these forums for a lot longer. I've used these forums for opinions and guitar knowledge that I could learn from for a long period of time which is well over your 1+ level that I guess you judge members with. Yeah the searchbar is there for a reason and yeah the guy did say he was too lazy to use so that should of told you to look at a different thread if you didn't like it. If this guy's post actually upsets you then you definitely need to find a new hobby in your life or something a little more important to be upset about.
Quote by Supermansdead81
WALL OF UNPARAGRAPHED TEXT

Wait, so you're being critical that he's pointing out the rules and yet you're also telling him he shouldn't be critical?

Makes sense to me!

Quote by Supermansdead81
That's so cute that you'll let it slide. I'm so happy now. I was actually worried for a minute that you wouldn't let it, oh wait how did you put it.....Oh Yeah, let it slide. Do you honestly judge people on there registration dates under there name on here? I guess you probably do since you were so hung up on this guy's thread he made. Just because someone's date is newer than yours does not mean that they haven't viewed these forums for a lot longer. I've used these forums for opinions and guitar knowledge that I could learn from for a long period of time which is well over your 1+ level that I guess you judge members with. Yeah the searchbar is there for a reason and yeah the guy did say he was too lazy to use so that should of told you to look at a different thread if you didn't like it. If this guy's post actually upsets you then you definitely need to find a new hobby in your life or something a little more important to be upset about.

I'm not going to get in an argument over this because I already know the general view of GG&A on the subject. Congratulations you have been lurking here for years without signing up. You should know even better the rules in that case. I admire your need to defend the honour for all the newbies but please, like all of us, as RK said, READTHE RULES AND DEAL WITH IT.

I got grilled when I first came here, and i'm a better poster for it
Quote by ragingkitty
I admit that its very nasty and discouraging when you ask a question and then get "Searchbar" yelled at you.

Sure, we chase a number of n00bs off that way.

However, it IS listed in the Rules of GG&A that before creating a new thread you should search to see if a similar thread has been created and addressed.

The TS WAS IN THE WRONG for:
1. Not reading the rules
2. Not using the searchbar
3. Being lazy

The only reason GG&A is not absurdly flooded with useless duplicate thread is because of the efforts of older GG&A vets yelling "SEARCHBAR" at all the idiots who refused to follow the rules.

I don't know one GG&A'er who has never had "searchbar" thrown in their faces.

The only "duplicate" threads which tend to be allowed are threads which seek gear recommendation as each UG'er's gear and needs will differ significantly.

Lets all PM Supermansdead81 all the duplicate threads to handle, then he'd understand why we're so picky about using the search bar.

Why don't you read what you just posted? It said they "should" use the search feature but it doesn't say they must or have to you retard. I see duplicate threads all the time and I don't get my panties in a twist like you guys. Sometimes you actually get new opinions and different information that older thread might not have. I guess that to progressive for you guys to handle. I mean "new opinions" and "new experiences with equipment"! That must be a hard concept to some people. If you honestly feel that you have to answer every duplicate thread then seriously have an issue. This attenuator subject has been covered but I see duplicate threads about the same amps and such all the time and you don't go bashing those people for it. You know this guy might of wanted to know what an attenuator actually done before he ordered one as a gear recommendation. You automatically assume the most childish things because it makes you feel all high and mighty in the forums without knowing your own forum rules which is funny! I've never seen someone get the meaning of the word "should" wrong. I thought you learned meanings or different words at an earlier age even if you misspelled them of not. Most people actually know what the words mean whether or not they put them in sentences correctly.
Last edited by Supermansdead81 at Dec 21, 2009,
This thread is no where near being on topic anymore.

Let it die already, TS now knows that in the future he should search a topic before posting a thread on it. Mission accomplished. Arguing and bashing each other's viewpoints on the subject won't help.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Quote by Supermansdead81
Why don't you read what you just posted? It said they "should" use the search feature but it doesn't say they must or have to you retard. I see duplicate threads all the time and I don't get my panties in a twist like you guys. Sometimes you actually get new opinions and different information that older thread might not have. I guess that to progressive for you guys to handle. I mean "new opinions" and "new experiences with equipment"! That must be a hard concept to some people. If you honestly feel that you have to answer every duplicate thread then seriously have an issue. This attenuator subject has been covered but I see duplicate threads about the same amps and such all the time and you don't go bashing those people for it. You know this guy might of wanted to know what an attenuator actually done before he ordered one as a gear recommendation. You automatically assume the most childish things because it makes you feel all high and mighty in the forums without knowing your own forum rules which is funny! I've never seen someone get the meaning of the word "should" wrong. I thought you learned meanings or different words at an earlier age even if you misspelled them of not. Most people actually know what the words mean whether or not they put them in sentences correctly.

*reported* for name calling and personal attack
Quote by 2112swartz
This thread is no where near being on topic anymore.

Let it die already, TS now knows that in the future he should search a topic before posting a thread on it. Mission accomplished. Arguing and bashing each other's viewpoints on the subject won't help.

I agree with you totally but they didn't politely point that out to the guy to start with.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
*reported* for name calling and personal attack

I hope this honestly makes you feel better in life. How mature.
Quote by Supermansdead81

D00d, in addition to lesson in spelling, you might want to consider lessons in paragraphing too.

Every action has a repercussion. If you want to ignore the rules, there's going to be a backlash. Sure you can ignore the rules, but hey, someone's going to push back.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Seriously, guys? You're THIS bent out of shape over this thread?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...