I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V combo on order. I was going to get a stand for it so it would be easier to tweak, then realized that I could build a nice fancy 2x12 cab instead of a stand. This would let me experiment with different speakers. I settled on a 2x12 vertical cab. It's a little bigger than the Mesa vertical cab so it'll be 2 inches wider and deeper than the amp. Here's what I came up with:

I know, I know ... it's hard to believe that it wasn't drawn using a Cad program. It really is hand drawn, I swear.

I picked up some wood at Home Depot and spent 2 hours yesterday and 2 hours today trying not to injure myself. This is what I have so far:

The holes are a bit rough but I'll be front-mounting the speakers. It's solid as hell since I build it with 3/4" plywood and used lots of screws. I still have to sand the edges down and paint the front panel black. I'll need to cut holes for the recessed side handles and the jack plate in the rear panel (not shown).

I'll be covering it with off-white vinyl which has some embossed texturing in it. It was only $8 per yard locally, so I decided to not go with Tolex.

I'll have to wait for the hardware to come in to dry fit them before I cover the cab. I bought my hardware (metal corners, speaker grillcloth, handles, jack plate, back panel screws) here:

http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/servlet/StoreFront

I'll be installing Eminence speakers in it and wire them individually so I can run either one, or combine them. I'll get 2 x 8ohm speakers since the Mark V has 2 4ohm out in the back. I think I'll get these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-The-Wizard-12-Guitar-Speaker?sku=609800

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eminence-Patriot-Texas-Heat-12-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660031

So far so good.

- To be Continued -
Last edited by JackoMBA at Dec 20, 2009,
Looks good so far. Much better than my POS attemp a year ago.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
That looks great man! Wish I had the tools to build one..

Good selection of speakers too! I love my mix of redcoats and patriots..hopefully you will too!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
You might want to check these guys too :

http://www.mojotone.com/

They have a huge selection of goodies.

Quote by james4
sounds like a good plan, and looks like it's going well so far

and thanks for the link to that ebay store. I've gotta buy some feet and corners for m,y own cab build
Holy crud I have shift my ass into high gear. I decided to drop by my shop to see if they had any Mesa Boogie Mark V heads in stock in other stores. They did! I cancelled my 1x12 combo order and put the deposit on a Mark V head. I should be getting it next week.

Now to convince my wife that my time is better spent in the shop than with friends and family over the holidays. Haha. I'll find time to do both I'm sure.
I got to spend a few more hours in the shop yesterday and today.

First order of business was to take a 1/2" radius corner router bit to round off all three axis. The little guide on the bottom really makes the job easier.

Just follow the side and it does its thing. Here it is before sanding it:

The corner pieces fit snugly and there's a little lip that goes under the corner. It'll cover up any screw ups that I do on the corners when I upholster it with the white vinyl I bought:

Now it's time to cut some holes out for the recessed handles. I found cutting straight lines a lot easier than cutting the round speaker holes:

The handles slip right in:

I had to figure out a way to make a frame for the speaker cloth so I settled on 1/4" MDF and hoped for the best. I used the jigsaw again and found it pretty easy to get a straight line:

A bit of sanding and filing and it turned out pretty good:

It'll be going in front of the cab like this:

Now is spray painting time. It's winter here in Canada so I'm glad my dad had a special mask which really stopped the fumes from getting me high as a kite (his garage is heated by a firewood stove).

Cover the back holes so I don't get any overspray into the cab:

Cover the areas I don't want painted with masking tape and newspaper. I applied primer before spraying it with flat black paint:

Spray paint the grill frame:

And voila:

Leave to dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll attempt to cover the cabinet with vinyl. I tried a test piece of vinyl on a scrap piece of plywood. We'll see if it'll do the trick when I check it tomorrow.

So far so good.

- To be continued -
Today was upholstery day. I'm battered but I see the light at the light of the tunnel. I spent as much time (probably 5 hours) planning and actually doing the covering of the cabinet. Next time around It'll take me 1/2 the time.

First order of business was laying out the vinyl to measure and cut. I added an extra foot length to it - 10 feet. I also added an extra 4 inches on each side because I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep it straight as I flipped it along the way.

I laid down some plywood on the floor of my dad's garage to start applying the contact cement. That's one long piece of vinyl:

By the way I used Lepage Solvent Free Contact cement. It's water based so there are no fumes and it applies without "stringing" like regular contact cement. If you get some on your hands, it rolls off like silicone. I used a small roller to apply the coats. I ran a test last night with a piece of vinyl and scrap plywood and I was really pleased with the result.

This is the bottom part of the cabinet. It has just one seam. I used some weights to make sure the contact cement did it's job:

I made this little ghetto tool to go over the vinyl to flatten it out and remove any air bubbles and ensure a good contact. I just used an old piece of wood, rounded the edges with sand paper, and covered it with piece of cloth.

To make sure the vinyl adhered well to the inside of the cabinet, I used small pieces of wood and masking tape to hold them in place. I didn't have enough clamps but the tape worked great.

TORNADO !!!

I wonder where I get that from? Here's a part of my dad's shop:

This is a totally botched corner:

No big deal because I got these handy little corners to cover up any mistakes. By the time I was done the corners came our really clean, but these metal corners makes for a nice finish:

The back cover:

Here's the back of the cabinet so far:

And the front:

Tomorrow I'll build the front grill, drill the holes for the back section, and install the casters as I wait for the speakers to come in.

- To be continued -
Last edited by JackoMBA at Dec 27, 2009,
Looks great so far, my current build is virtually identical.

Mine is for a MkIII head, built angle, Wizard and Governor. I like your choice of speakers, we'll have to compare notes down the road, lol.

Are you going open or closed back?
Quote by Rutch

Are you going open or closed back?

check the post above yous (second last pic)
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
This is looking amazingly nice. And high-five for the canadian winter: I just spent the week-end up north and I've been out smoking all night once back in Montréal. It really is freezing out there.

I was wondering, if you don't mind my asking, around how much do you think you paid, for all the tools, materials and components ?

And more importantly, how complicated is it to wire everything compared to, say, soldering ?

Obviously, your project has sparked something in me, something craving a better amp than the shitty Crate I have. Also, I have a hand-built guitar, so I'd like a hand-built amp, just to be completely out of the boundary. And instead of spending 800-900 for a nice enough amp, why not build one ?
Quote by Demonic82
check the post above yous (second last pic)

Actually I'm not sure if it'll be closed or open back yet. I'll try both. If I like both, I'll make a back with a removable section.

Quote by that guy Strife

I was wondering, if you don't mind my asking, around how much do you think you paid, for all the tools, materials and components ?

And more importantly, how complicated is it to wire everything compared to, say, soldering ?

Obviously, your project has sparked something in me, something craving a better amp than the shitty Crate I have. Also, I have a hand-built guitar, so I'd like a hand-built amp, just to be completely out of the boundary. And instead of spending 800-900 for a nice enough amp, why not build one ?

I didn't have to buy any tools because I have Tim the Tool Man Taylor for a dad. I also used some of my own tools.

I paid roughly $200 for the wood, hardware, glue, and vinyl. The speakers are a bout $200. I'll do a final tally when I'm done and post it.

I've never wired speakers before but it looks ultra simple.
Quote by JackoMBA
I've never wired speakers before but it looks ultra simple.

It is.

Cab looks great Jacko. I like the black on white. Very clean construction.
I am thinking of making a closed back but if i use odd dimensions, as i am told I should, have to the best size (its a closed - 36 litres -I wanna load it with celestion g12k-100s) I have a big problem -

The depth that it would turn out to be would be 14 cm (internally). Thats only 4 cm behind the speaker!!

Am i doing something wrong?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Looking good so far.

I am building a similar vertical cab. The one I am building is a clone of a Dumble 212. Check out the porting on the Dumble, I really like this style.

(Invalid img)
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Dec 28, 2009,
Wow, beautiful cab.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I was on the final stages of the build today.

First thing was to staple the speaker cloth to the frame:

The edges were "stringy" so I covered them with black duct tape:

I drilled some holes while the grill was on the cabinet to line up the magnets I'd be installing.

I placed some screws and washers on the other side so the magnets to hold the grill in place (I could have used velcro but I figured it would easier to remove the grill with magnets). I forgot to take a photo but the magnets are held in place to the grill by black duct tape. I will go back and attach the magnets to the grill with either Crazy Glue or contact cement:

To remove the grill I placed a small black screw in the corner of the grill. You can barely see it while looking at the cab. Just pull on it and the grill pops right off.

I wanted to put some kind of logo on the front and settled for the same "Boogie" Logo that will be on my Mark V. I found a pick on the web and cleaned it up in Photoshop. I then glued it to a very thick piece of cardboard and cut around it. I used a black marker to blacken the edges. I wanted to cover it with clear spray paint, but I forgot it home. Maybe I'll do that later:

On the reverse I placed another piece of the thick cardboard, after painting the front black and ran some small screws:

Flipped the cabinet upside down and installed some locking casters.

I attached the back cover with black screws and washers:

And here she is. DONE:

I will be doing a few modifications. I want to recess the grill 1/4" to 1/2" to create a lip. It won't be too difficult since the whole interior was put together with screws. I'll just remove the braces and trim them a bit.

Now I'm just waiting for the speakers to come in.

I also have to do the math to see how much this whole thing set me back.

- To be continued -
Wow, that looks awesome! Professional as hell! Love how the white and black go together.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
****ing hell Jack, very very nice job! Beautimus!!!
Where did you get the blue print?
Hope you don't take that on the road with those casters, just sayin'...
Excellent job mate, now make me one
Quote by cormango
****ing hell Jack, very very nice job! Beautimus!!!
Where did you get the blue print?
Hope you don't take that on the road with those casters, just sayin'...
Excellent job mate, now make me one

Hehe. Nope, it won't go on the road. The hardest work they'll do will be turning the cab around to frig around the back of the head and cab. I didn't get blue prints. I just winged it. I might have to go open back since I didn't look up all the acoustic requirements for a closed back. We'll see.

I better get the Mark V head as planned this week. Until then I'll have to enjoy the photoshop version

That was an awesome effort mate!!
Can't wait to hear it
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Looks amazing
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Awesome
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Talk about having a boner and not having anywhere to stick it into.

I just got an email from my shop saying they received my Mesa Boogie Mark V head today and I can pick it up anytime. My Cabinet is good to go, but the speakers haven't come in yet. He's a canadian Ebay seller and they were apparently shipped on December 20. I hope I get them before the weekend !!!
Quote by JackoMBA
He's a canadian Ebay seller and they were apparently shipped on December 20. I hope I get them before the weekend !!!

Sure mate, New Years Eve?
anyway, looks lovely! love the fake Boogie logo!
Awwww shiiiiiiiiii. The speakers arrived tonight; same day as the head. Sniffed a bit of solder and off the races. I'm too pooped to post pics right now but I can tell Imma love this amp. A lot tighter than the Mesa Boogie Dual Rec. I sold off. I need some ZZZsss.
I hate to bump a really old thread but thanks for the tutorial.. I am building a similar and this helped me understand better how to make the covering look good..