Page 1 of 2
I need something thats just like a JCM 800 without the hefty price tag, any suggestions? If possible i would like it to have maybe a little more gain than the Marshall

Thanks
Fender American Custom Shop
Black Beauty Les Paul Custom
Vox AD 100
What exactly is your budget? There are some excellent clones, but they aren't much cheaper than a used 800. Tell us your budget and we can recommend some good amps with the same basic sound as an 800.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
How much do you have to play with?

EDIT: got beaten to it, sorry xD
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Dec 20, 2009,
I have about $1250 to play with

I dont have a cabinet either
Vox AD 100
Quote by sixstringmunky

I dont have a capinet either
For that much, you could potentially pick up a used actual JCM 800 and an overdrive to boost it with, and MAYBE have just enough left over for an Avatar 2x12. You'd have to be awfully thrifty though. You can definitely do just the head and the overdrive for that much easy, though.
You can get a used 800 in that price range for sure. If not a head and cab, definitely a combo.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
You can get a used 800 in that price range for sure. If not a head and cab, definitely a combo.

With a cab too?
Vox AD 100
Also i want a little more punch than the JCM 800 though
Vox AD 100
There are the Sovtek Mig series. Which are like $500 for the 100 watt ones, that leaves you a lot of room for a decent cab. There are also 50 and 60 watt version of the head, check eBay.
Quote by whiteraven119
For that much, you could potentially pick up a used actual JCM 800 and an overdrive to boost it with, and MAYBE have just enough left over for an Avatar 2x12. You'd have to be awfully thrifty though. You can definitely do just the head and the overdrive for that much easy, though.

Right. I got a 2210 for 1000USD, that was a mediocre deal.

My mate picked up a 2205 for about 850USD. That was a good deal. You see the range?

Don't pick up reissues. And it's better to get a cheap cab then a bad amp. If you can only afford an amp head, then get that. You can get a cheap cab later.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by sixstringmunky
With a cab too?
You'd have to be thrifty, like I said. I've seen used 800s go for as low as $750 on craigslist. If you can find one that cheap, plus the cost of an OD, say, a Bad Monkey or something, might just barely have enough left to scrape together for an Avatar 2x12.
Quote by sixstringmunky
With a cab too?

if you are lucky yes.

i think one of my stores in chicago still has a jcm800 that was never sold. not sure what that has price dropped to. i can check tomorrow. i should transfer that bad boy over to my store. i wouldn't have a problem selling that, especially since it's now considered "closeout" gear.

edit: Also, i have a jcm2000 dsl head/cab for $1299.99.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 20, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
if you are lucky yes.

i think one of my stores in chicago still has a jcm800 that was never sold. not sure what that has price dropped to. i can check tomorrow. i should transfer that bad boy over to my store. i wouldn't have a problem selling that, especially since it's now considered "closeout" gear.

edit: Also, i have a jcm2000 dsl head/cab for $1299.99.

Not to be "this" guy, but TS wants the 800, not the 2000. There's a distinct distance.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

You can find JCM800s in the $900 range. And Marshall cabs can be found dirt cheap on the used market as well.
ceriatone has kits you build yourself for a good price if you're into that. supposedly amazing quality as well.

Avatar has wicked cabs you can order for a very fair price as well. they're a good deal, but not "cheap" by any means. worth looking into.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Not to be "this" guy, but TS wants the 800, not the 2000. There's a distinct distance.
If he hasn't played the 2000 though, I recommend he at least give one a shot at GC or something. It's quite different, yes, but it would give him more gain than the 800 like he said he wanted. The 2000s are very good amps, if he's never tried one, he might just prefer it over the 800.
Quote by whiteraven119
If he hasn't played the 2000 though, I recommend he at least give one a shot at GC or something. It's quite different, yes, but it would give him more gain than the 800 like he said he wanted. The 2000s are very good amps, if he's never tried one, he might just prefer it over the 800.

That is indeed true.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Right. I got a 2210 for 1000USD, that was a mediocre deal.

My mate picked up a 2205 for about 850USD. That was a good deal. You see the range?

Don't pick up reissues. And it's better to get a cheap cab then a bad amp. If you can only afford an amp head, then get that. You can get a cheap cab later.

That's how much my 2205 was!

But to the question, you could get a good combo for real cheap, along with a tubescreamer. I saw a JCM800 combo for $200 once. Looks like you don't need a copy.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by whiteraven119

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Also, might i ad, i dont buy into names and bull shit like that, so if its some random company that i have never heard of, thats legit
Vox AD 100
look for a used splawn quickrod, you wont regret it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

yea i think a used splawn would be good too.

weepingdemon - you were that guy. it's all good, i was suggesting the 2000 because of it having more gain and the ts needing more "punch".
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by sixstringmunky

I dont have a cabinet either

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Marshall-JCM-800-HIWATT-4x12-CAB-W0QQAdIdZ173619658

I feel sorry for you guys. This kind of stuff is for sale up here all the time.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

A DSL50 on the Green channel with the Master cranked up is basically an 800 with more gain.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Anyone know anything about the Peavey windsor, is it shit or not?
Vox AD 100
Quote by sixstringmunky
Anyone know anything about the Peavey windsor, is it shit or not?

Don't do it!

What do we know about the Peavey Valve King?
Vox AD 100
Last edited by sixstringmunky at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by sixstringmunky

Doesn't sound JCM800-ish to me. Not at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oJwWJEu1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnpk-pKbC3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oCICScYLo

The first two show some heavier tones, the third shows some great classic rock tones.

I'll be recording some more clips once I get my new recording interface in the mail.
Really, i have played a JCM 800 once, i know Kerry King, Bill Kelliher, and hundreds of other guitarists play them. I really just need an amp that can go from blues all the way to sludge/doo/stoner metal. lol
Vox AD 100
Quote by sixstringmunky

The VK is more like a JCM 900 than an 800.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by sixstringmunky
I need something thats just like a JCM 800 without the hefty price tag, any suggestions? If possible i would like it to have maybe a little more gain than the Marshall

Thanks

Peavey Windsor seems like it would be up your alley?
Or how about a Bugera 1990...its a jcm 900 combo but I mean it might suit you
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
^^Even that comparison is a big reach.

Quote by sixstringmunky
Really, i have played a JCM 800 once, i know Kerry King, Bill Kelliher, and hundreds of other guitarists play them. I really just need an amp that can go from blues all the way to sludge/doo/stoner metal. lol

I stand by the VTM. It's a really underrated amp. It's been used by Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, one of the guys from Baroness, and probably some more.
you could easily find a 2203 or 2204 from the 80s at that price point.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I just watched a video of that Bugera 1990, that sounds like what i want. Is it built well?
Vox AD 100
no its not. stay away from bugera. jesus dude you have 1250. just buy the real thing. why would you want a copy if you can afford the real thing.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I am saving up 1250, i dont have all of that right now, i am also in the process of building a guitar. I looked at the VTM vids, but dose it have channel switching? Cause i am switching between clean and dirty a bunch.
Vox AD 100
Page 1 of 2