Pretty much, I need an amp that sounds playable at low levels of volume. I have an MXR 10-band EQ to help with it. My Peavy Vypyr 60w (tubed version) isn't cutting it at the low volume levels.

No budget.

I'd prefer it to have a sound of say.. a JCM-800 with something like a tube screamer in front of it for the distortion.

Cleans aren't important, but need to be usable.

I don't care about on board effects and what not, and I prefer it to not be a modelling amp.
Last edited by SchecterZV at Dec 20, 2009,
Bugera V-5
My Gear

Schecter C-1 Plus (Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 neck)

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
doesnt the vypr have an attenuator? Using the attenuator is the only way you are going to get a decent cranked sound at a friendlier volume. You are still going to have a tonal loss. Part of the Beautiful sound of a cranked amp is how hard the speakers get hit. and you just cant do that at a low volume.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
doesnt the vypr have an attenuator? Using the attenuator is the only way you are going to get a decent cranked sound at a friendlier volume. You are still going to have a tonal loss. Part of the Beautiful sound of a cranked amp is how hard the speakers get hit. and you just cant do that at a low volume.

It probably does. But that's not the point.

and I understand the whole 'cranked' thing, which is why i'm looking for a decent sounding bedroom amp. Idk a whole lot of people who can crank a 60W tube amp in their bedroom.
The tube versions don't have the power sponge, which does nothing anyway.

I don't think you're going to get a low wattage JCM 800-type tube amp to sound good at bedroom volumes. Those types of amps have to roar, not meow.

The Bugera V5 sounds pretty decent to me, but not JCM-like. It's more on the Vox side. Maybe a Blackheart Killer Ant?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the studio 15 wins this one since there is no budget.

fargan mini plex maybe as well.
I honestly don't think you will achieve that sound at low volumes with a small tube combo. Maybe a Blackstar 5 watter but those carry around a $500 price tag but I personally haven't had experience with those. That's not to say they aren't good because I've seen good reviews on those being great dirty low wattage tube amps. Keep in mind that 5 watts is still going to be loud when cranked in the bedroom even though others might not agree with that opinion. You know if you aren't getting the low volume saturation sound that you want using a power attenuator already, then it is probably hopeless. That's the only tool I know does that and I don't know if the Vypyr Tube has one built in or not but you can buy a stand alone attenuator to hook to it. That is one option you could shoot for but if your amp already has the feature then sorry if that doesn't help. You might want to look at another hybrid amp like yours since that is the category you're already in. The Vox Valvetronix series area also mainly solid state amps with a tube thrown in the power amp source but it uses a 12AX7 I believe instead of the Vypyr Tube's 6L6. I don't know if that makes the overall tones of the two amps that different but I think the Vox's sound good at lower volumes. I said all that as my 2 cents but remember that I have no experience with a Vypyr Tube as of yet. I've only heard and used the solid state Vypyrs and not the Tube Hybrid amp you have. Good Luck Man!