hey all
i really need some help i have been playing guitar for about 2 years and i want to upgrade from my beginner guitar
i can not choose between a semi-hollow, hollow, or electric, my budget is around $600
i mostly play rock
thanks in advance
Well rock is a pretty broad term these days. You mean Elvis rock or Kings Of Leon rock? I'm assuming you are into more modern stuff so a solidbody electric would be best suited. You can get away with a semi-hollow, but the good ones tend to be more expensive and you lose sustain and certain tonal qualities that are generally desirable in rock styles.

I would suggest since you're a beginner to get a solidbody electric like a Les Paul or decent strat copy. Try Ibanez RG series, Agile, Tokai, Cort, ESP etc

Look some of those up and see if there's any you like

EDIT: What kind of amp do you have because that will make the biggest difference to your sound. A guitar that you actually enjoy playing is very important also especially starting out because your ear for tone hasn't developed so you will want to find some middle ground between decent guitar and decent amp.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well rock is a pretty broad term these days. You mean Elvis rock or Kings Of Leon rock? I'm assuming you are into more modern stuff so a solidbody electric would be best suited. You can get away with a semi-hollow, but the good ones tend to be more expensive and you lose sustain and certain tonal qualities that are generally desirable in rock styles.

I would suggest since you're a beginner to get a solidbody electric like a Les Paul or decent strat copy. Try Ibanez RG series, Agile, Tokai, Cort, ESP etc

Look some of those up and see if there's any you like

EDIT: What kind of amp do you have because that will make the biggest difference to your sound. A guitar that you actually enjoy playing is very important also especially starting out because your ear for tone hasn't developed so you will want to find some middle ground between decent guitar and decent amp.

I would have to agree with an Ibanez RG series guitar for the recommendation. You can go with a fixed bridge if you use multiple tunings and you don't want to mess with setting up a floyd rose type trem back and forth. You know if you are pretty much staying in one tuning then you can get one of the RG's with the floating trem. That is all up to personal preference and what you want out of your guitar. I personal like the RG for rock to metal because of the price when you haven't been playing long and all the options. This guitar can be as basic as you want or be as complex as you want because they range in prices from cheap to expensive relative to what you think that is. I personally would take a long on Ibanez's website to find one you like and then find it on Musician's Friend or Guitar Center's website to get a price idea. Oh and Good Luck to you!
id recommend a dean, esp or epiphone those are really good solid body's and cheap. and i agree w/ AxSilentxLine you need a good amp too other wise it's not worth a crap
What is your current guitar and amp, a 25 watt marshall is not enough of a description.

If you already have a decent enough guitar i would recommend buying a new amp, as it will have the biggest impact on your tone.

If your guitar is shit, than i would look at trying to find a used Gibson SG or Les Paul. Also the Ibanez RG series are supposed to be decent, a Fender Strat with an SSH pickup configuration might also work
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
thanks for all the advice
sorry for the describtion, i was in a hurry
i have a Laguna that came in a starter package and i have a Marshall MG4 Series MG30FX 30W 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp
i have narrowed my search down to a couple of guitars:
1) Epiphone SG Prophesy EX Electric Guitar
2) Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS FR Electric Guitar
3) Fender Highway One HSS Stratocaster
4) Fender Deluxe Strat (HSS) Electric Guitar