Hey guys, I really want to get that Zeppelin, Acdc, or something like a Van Halen tone, i was thinking of getting a high quality marshall tube amp or something but im not the greatest at amp buying so i wanted some opinions on what kind of marshall amps would be the best to buy, anyways i would appreciate any replies, thanks
Edit:Also, I have an american standard strat
Considering they all use/used Super Lead Plexis, I'd imagine a Super Lead Plexi would be what you want, although for Led Zeppelin you'd want a Tonebender distortion pedal as well.

Keep in mind, though, it has to get loud before it gets "that sound".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i hope that standard strat is an HSS...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well your best bet is probably a JCM800 but I hear the new Vintage Modern series is great also

not even one of those bands used a JCM amp. those are way too modern voiced

TS what you want is a plexi. Jimmy Page, the Young brothers, and EVH all used a Marshall 1959 SLP. HOWEVER the volume of that thing is way beyond acceptable for anyone who isn't playing huge venues, so have a look at a Marshall 1987x which is a 50 watt version of the SLP

Quote by Raijouta
for Led Zeppelin you'd want a Tonebender distortion pedal as well.

Page just used the natural overdrive of the slp live.

and besides that, you CERTAINLY don't want a distortion pedal for any of these tones. there is a huge distinction between an overdrive pedal and a distortion period. TS would want an OVERDRIVE pedal for getting any of these tones, for example a Jetter GSP overdrive pedal.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
not even one of those bands used a JCM amp. those are way too modern voiced

TS what you want is a plexi. Jimmy Page, the Young brothers, and EVH all used a Marshall 1959 SLP. HOWEVER the volume of that thing is way beyond acceptable for anyone who isn't playing huge venues, so have a look at a Marshall 1987x which is a 50 watt version of the SLP

Yeah it's not hard to tell i'm not a Marshall expert but I know enough to know that authentic Super Lead Plexi is going to be ridiculously expensive lol

The JCM should give some nice breakup either way may not be exactly true to the sound but should do nicely?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yeah it's not hard to tell i'm not a Marshall expert but I know enough to know that authentic Super Lead Plexi is going to be ridiculously expensive lol

The JCM should give some nice breakup either way may not be exactly true to the sound but should do nicely?

not true at all. the plexi reissue can be had used for $1100.

and if you have done your research, you will find clone companies such as Metropoulos Amps who make clones of vintage marshalls that are incredibly exact replicas, which you can have for a little over $1000.

but yeah seriously, TS Avoid a JCM amp if you want a vintage sound. let me give you an example of a JCM800 user... Kerry King of Slayer
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
not true at all. the plexi reissue can be had used for $1100.

and if you have done your research, you will find clone companies such as Metropoulos Amps who make clones of vintage marshalls that are incredibly exact replicas, which you can have for a little over $1000

Like I said by no means a Plexi or Marshall expert. Just know that the JCM can get very nice tube breakup and TS welcomed all suggestions, just so happens that your suggestions are much better