I've been playing for a little less than a year and I want to see how, for lack of a better word, good I have gotten. I mean, in my opinion I kind of suck, but all my non-musical friends think I'm pretty good. Can anyone give me relative difficulties of certain songs I can play, namely Eruption, Hot for Teacher, Spanish Fly, War Pigs, Metallica's Am I Evil, Purple Haze, and Houses of the Holy? Maybe arrange them in a scale from one to ten with some other songs thrown in for reference?
imo, musical ability shouldnt be gaged on what songs you play but rather how well you understand the techniques behind them. anyone can learn to play a song, but the true progress is being able to use that knowledge to play your own licks. so, can you improvise?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Sort of, but I usually end up just ripping off a Page or Van Halen lick and changing a few notes around. Sometimes I get in the zone and come up with really nice sounding stuff, but usually I just flail around in Phrygian or Dorian and hope something good comes out.
Quote by Noslo13
I've been playing for a little less than a year and I want to see how, for lack of a better word, good I have gotten. I mean, in my opinion I kind of suck, but all my non-musical friends think I'm pretty good. Can anyone give me relative difficulties of certain songs I can play, namely Eruption, Hot for Teacher, Spanish Fly, War Pigs, Metallica's Am I Evil, Purple Haze, and Houses of the Holy? Maybe arrange them in a scale from one to ten with some other songs thrown in for reference?

Eruption's not too hard once you get the hang of it. Theres this guy on youtube named pete thorn and he takes you through it step by step. I doubt war pigs is too tough, and purple haze was the first solo i ever learned. I havent tried any of the others except the beginning of houses of holy, but if any of them are too fast for you to play along with, download this one program called transcribe. its really helpful if you want to learn the songs by ear.
I can play all those full speed with near perfect accuracy, though sometimes I just do my own thing for certain parts of them. Like Eruption, I broke my whammy bar doing a dive bomb (I fail, I know) so I had to come up with my own things to do in place of Eddie's whammy stuff.
Next time you want to know how much better you have become, i'd advise setting goals as you go into practice. You have to know what you want to achieve in whatever period of time so that as you're practicing, you're practicing towards something; towards attaining a certain level of playing, etc. That way, as you reach your goals, short term, long term, whatever, you will be able to 'gauge' your progress. That's my opinion.
It's not what songs you play, but how you play them. Anyone can claim to play eruption or whatever, but 99% of them sound like ass doing it. That 99% includes all first year players, guaranteed. No offense intended - it's just a fact. I would also say that songs like Eruption are totally the wrong things to be working on.

As to how I would gauge progress, I would look at how well you play with others in a band or jam setting. Do you play in time? In the pocket? With good feel and listening to the rest of the band?

If you don't play out with others, I would gauge your progress thus far as "incomplete".
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 21, 2009,
i have to agree with the person above. if you're unable to play with other people, your understanding (not knowledge) of the guitar/music is not so great.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Does it even matter?

I mean, music is an art, and its fun - its not a race. You don't need to beat anybody at it. Just enjoy playing, learn at your own speed, and provided you are content with your own progress you're doing just fine