Ok, so I have this Schecter and I have been having weird problems with fret buzzing. I just changed the strings recently (10 gauges on now, I think that's what they were before too, not sure) and I have noticed a distinct fret buzz. The main problem is on the D string, 19th fret. The fret doesn't look or feel damaged. The upper strings are fine, the lower ones give a little buzz higher up on the fretboard, but like I said, by far, the worst buzzing is right where the neck and body meet, on fret 19. D string is by far the worst, but the A and E buzz a little bit on higher frets, and mostly 19. I raised the action, and I am certain it shouldn't have to be this high to get rid of fret buzz. My friend suggested loosening the truss rod 1/8 of a turn and waiting a day, so I did. By now I've loosened it about a quarter of a turn and it seems to be a little better, but still very noticeable. Should I loosen the truss rod a little more, or is that not gonna help? I don't know what would be causing it on this isolated section.. Thanks for any help.
You probably have a high fret or two. Have a good guitar tech check to see if your frets are level. If they aren't, a fret leveling job is not a big deal.
Quote by FatalGear41
You probably have a high fret or two. Have a good guitar tech check to see if your frets are level. If they aren't, a fret leveling job is not a big deal.

Agree.

And what type of bridge do you have?
what kind of relief do you have on that guitar?

when you fret the low E at the first fret, and
at the last frets, WHERE THE NECK AND BODY MEET.

does the string lay on the middle frets? 7-9th?

measure, look at the middle relief.
But know, that like said, buzzing at one area, usually indicates a fret problem.

Also, have you raised the bridge at all yet?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by GrandWazoo
Agree.

And what type of bridge do you have?

I think it is called TonePros TOM w/ thru body, judging from the other guitars on schecter's website. It is a fixed bridge.

Quote by jj1565
what kind of relief do you have on that guitar?

when you fret the low E at the first fret, and
at the last frets, WHERE THE NECK AND BODY MEET.

does the string lay on the middle frets? 7-9th?

measure, look at the middle relief.
But know, that like said, buzzing at one area, usually indicates a fret problem.

Also, have you raised the bridge at all yet?

I already looked at the relief and it was little, but it was there, which is why I wasn't thinking it was a truss rod problem.
can you fit a medium pick in that middle space?

if you can't, it wont hurt to turn another 1/8th turn counter clockwise.

if you can fit a pick while fretting the first and last on the low E, then yeah, you need to look at the fret, and string more closely.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

First off, truss adjustments are for setting the neck relief and that is ALL. If the relief was incorrect then it could cause buzzing, but if it was correct DO NOT mess with it to try and fix a buzzing issue. Plus, at the 19th fret it really has zero effect anyway.

You simply need to check for high/low frets. Use the straight edges of a credit card to span 3 frets at a time. If you can rock the card then either the middle fret is high or one (perhaps both) of the outside frets is low. If your buzzing in the 19th position either the 19th fret is low or the 20th is high.
Quote by webwarmiller
First off, truss adjustments are for setting the neck relief and that is ALL. If the relief was incorrect then it could cause buzzing, but if it was correct DO NOT mess with it to try and fix a buzzing issue. Plus, at the 19th fret it really has zero effect anyway.

You simply need to check for high/low frets. Use the straight edges of a credit card to span 3 frets at a time. If you can rock the card then either the middle fret is high or one (perhaps both) of the outside frets is low. If your buzzing in the 19th position either the 19th fret is low or the 20th is high.

Yeah, but like I mentioned the relief was there, but it was a little low. I don't think loosening it a tad is going to hurt anything. But I will try the credit card thing, and it does sound like one of those frets is the problem, I will see if I can get someone trustworthy to work on it (ie not Guitar Center).

EDIT: The credit card method definitely found uneven frets.. Cool little trick, I like it lol.
Last edited by In_Black_Flames at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by webwarmiller

he said he was also getting buzz higher up on the fretboard, that was relieved a bit after adjustment, in addition to the 19th fret.

checking the relief then adding another 1/8 turn is the appropriate thing to do.

guys that think that truss rod adjustments are just for relief are kidding themselves.

it's an important part of setting up a guitar, just like everything else.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
he said he was also getting buzz higher up on the fretboard, that was relieved a bit after adjustment, in addition to the 19th fret.

checking the relief then adding another 1/8 turn is the appropriate thing to do.

guys that think that truss rod adjustments are just for relief are kidding themselves.

it's an important part of setting up a guitar, just like everything else.

Yeah, I think the truss rod adjustment helped, because the buzzing definitely got a little better, and the relief was already too low, but I think the main problem is the fret must be raised or something. I just restrung this guitar and gave it an (almost) complete setup, but I neglected the truss rod, so it was due for it anyway because I'm pretty sure I messed it up about a year ago or so.
Quote by jj1565

No, that's all it's for. Now, with that said, the amount of neck relief plays a HUGE role in overall action and playability. People who hit the strings really hard will need more relief than those who pick lightly. The trick is to find out what the proper relief is for a particular setup.

I just get frustrated when I hear people giving advice to adjust the truss to fix a buzz without knowing anything about the guitar's particular setup.
Quote by webwarmiller
No, that's all it's for. Now, with that said, the amount of neck relief plays a HUGE role in overall action and playability. People who hit the strings really hard will need more relief than those who pick lightly. The trick is to find out what the proper relief is for a particular setup.

I just get frustrated when I hear people giving advice to adjust the truss to fix a buzz without knowing anything about the guitar's particular setup.

that's all it's for, but it plays a huge role in overall action and playability.

contradict yourself much?

i've been setting up guitars here for about 5 years.
i know what to ask and how to fix it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62