Hi, I am looking for a new amp. Half stack for playing shows and band practice, What do you all think about the peavey xxl head? I found one used for $250. I have never had any experience with one before.
I play Death metal ( the black dahlia murder, Whitechapel ect)
Thanks
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
All I know about the Peavey XXL is that it's the solid state "cousin" of the XXX, a fairly decent tube amp.

Being solid state, it won't be as warm or natural sounding as a tube amp. It will be harsher, which may or may not be what you want for certain styles of metal.
I can't say i've used one before but it's a hybrid amp so you can probably do better. That being said I haven't played one so I could be totally wrong but if you like Peavey and you want to get Death Metal i'd start by looking at a 6505, used if you're on a budget
ok. i am trying to at least get a head with the money i get for christmas. Which will probably be like 400, i am totally willing to go used
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
Don't completely rule out the XXL....as for the price they are a workhorse of an amp. However, that doesn't mean crap until you try it out for yourself...Even with 400 for a head, you'll find yourself somewhat limited. For that much you'd be looking into a B52 AT-100 head or maybe a 5150. If you can find a Crate Shockwave350, that would be decent for you as well.
Check for some demo's online but i think it would suit you.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
ok. looks like i will keeo my eye out for some other's. But i will still try out the xxl...
Sorry to change the subject... But what do you reccomend for a noise suppressor?
ISP Decimator? Boss NS-2? THanks once again
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
ISP but don't buy one right away, Noise gates are something you buy if there is too much noise on your amp.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
ok, I was just thinking i would probably need one for shows. I know its not the best thing to base this off of but, my spider makes some god awfull sounds once i get it loud enough at band practice. So i thought at least a little bit of noise would come along with high volumes on any amp.
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
ive been playing an xxl for the past 6 months into a peavey js cab with jensen speakers and it is just an unbelievable tone. i bought it second hand and i have gigged with it. The head has never let me down. i would not be worried about having a backup with this amp. its a workhorse. i play death metal, progressive metal, rock, grunge, classic rock and i also run a seven string through it and with a little tweak of settings its perfect.
there is an unbelievable amount of variable tone in this amp. with 3 channels clean, lead and ultra and also 3 sub channels in each of these channels. i tend to stay away from ultra as the gain is just massive especially on "modern" setting where you get a mesa boogie rectifier sound.
ive jammed along with dudes with peavey 6505s and this amp gave them a run for their money. for a transtube amplifier it has the closest to tube sound you will get. plus its handmade in the USA and no longer in production. they will most likely be sought after in the next few years
i wouldnt knock this amp at all. id highly recommend it to anybody.
oo and also do invest in a noise suppressor. doesn't matter about if your amp or guitar makes excessive unwanted noise there will always be an electrical hum and also any accidental scratchy string noise when your not playing. a MUST for playing live. without a suppressor your just seriously stupid or an arrogant prick
Well man, looking at the gear you got listed in your signature man....if you're gonna play Death Metal, then you should stick with the Line 6 Spider 2/3/4...if you're worried about not having enough power to play gigs at like larger places or like Outdoor Gigs or whatever, then the Line 6 Spider II (also the Spider II & Spider IV), aside from the 2x10" Combo that it lists in your signature, Line 6 also makes 150-Watt Head Version of it...& 150-Watts is enough power for more or less ANY VENUE...but if you're going to switch to a "Stack" amp (which is a BITCH to bring from place to place, my current Rig includes a Marshall JCM 2000 50-Watt Head along with a Peavey 5150A 412 Speaker Cabinet (5150A is the 5150 Slant Cabinet), AND a Peavey 5150B 412 Speaker Cabinet (5150B is the 5150 Straight Cabinet), & then I have a Pedal Board (which Changes quite often from gig-to-gig & practice-to-practice), but if you are gonna switch to a Stack amp, then don't waste your time w/ a Half-Stack, spend the couple of extra Hundred Dollars & get a Full Stack (a Head which sits on top of a 4x12" Slant Cabinet, which then sits on top of a 4x12" Straight Cabinet)...But I think you should stick with a Line 6 Spider or like a Randall Warhead, a Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H, or one of the Ibanez Heads...try to stick with lower priced solid state amps...because if you have to spend the ammount of money it's going to cost you to get a good tube head, it better be something that's Worth the Couple Thousand Dollars it's going to Cost you (JUST FOR THE HEAD; WITH NO SPEAKER CABINET) but it better be something that's worth it, like a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier or like a 1967 Marshall Plexi 100-Watt Head or something like that....my Marshall JCM 2000 was over $1200 & I really like it because it has a lot of the things that made me want a Hot Rodded Marshall JCM 800 Head, it's got the stuff that made me want a Marshall JCM 900 Head, & it's all packed into One Amp head...so I'm happy with it...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by Mazz-
Well man, looking at the gear you got listed in your signature man....if you're gonna play Death Metal, then you should stick with the Line 6 Spider 2/3/4...if you're worried about not having enough power to play gigs at like larger places or like Outdoor Gigs or whatever, then the Line 6 Spider II (also the Spider II & Spider IV), aside from the 2x10" Combo that it lists in your signature, Line 6 also makes 150-Watt Head Version of it...& 150-Watts is enough power for more or less ANY VENUE...but if you're going to switch to a "Stack" amp (which is a BITCH to bring from place to place, my current Rig includes a Marshall JCM 2000 50-Watt Head along with a Peavey 5150A 412 Speaker Cabinet (5150A is the 5150 Slant Cabinet), AND a Peavey 5150B 412 Speaker Cabinet (5150B is the 5150 Straight Cabinet), & then I have a Pedal Board (which Changes quite often from gig-to-gig & practice-to-practice), but if you are gonna switch to a Stack amp, then don't waste your time w/ a Half-Stack, spend the couple of extra Hundred Dollars & get a Full Stack (a Head which sits on top of a 4x12" Slant Cabinet, which then sits on top of a 4x12" Straight Cabinet)...But I think you should stick with a Line 6 Spider or like a Randall Warhead, a Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H, or one of the Ibanez Heads...try to stick with lower priced solid state amps...because if you have to spend the ammount of money it's going to cost you to get a good tube head, it better be something that's Worth the Couple Thousand Dollars it's going to Cost you (JUST FOR THE HEAD; WITH NO SPEAKER CABINET) but it better be something that's worth it, like a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier or like a 1967 Marshall Plexi 100-Watt Head or something like that....my Marshall JCM 2000 was over $1200 & I really like it because it has a lot of the things that made me want a Hot Rodded Marshall JCM 800 Head, it's got the stuff that made me want a Marshall JCM 900 Head, & it's all packed into One Amp head...so I'm happy with it...

haha no
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
haha no

lol i thought so too
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
Is there any sort of specific tone you are going for? What's your setup now and where do you live. As for a noise suppressor, check out the Boss NS-2 and run it in the X configuration.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by christheseven
oo and also do invest in a noise suppressor. doesn't matter about if your amp or guitar makes excessive unwanted noise there will always be an electrical hum and also any accidental scratchy string noise when your not playing. a MUST for playing live. without a suppressor your just seriously stupid or an arrogant prick

I've played lots of shows and never needed a noise suppressor. It's called not using too much gain and playing around with things until there is no noise.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm not really trying to imitate anyone but we play stuff like whitechapel, Veil of Maya, The Black Dahlia Murder. Ect
I Pretty much need lots of gain.
Oh, And i play in drop A and B.
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
Quote by ironman606
I'm not really trying to imitate anyone but we play stuff like whitechapel, Veil of Maya, The Black Dahlia Murder. Ect
I Pretty much need lots of gain.
Oh, And i play in drop A and B.

yeah. a noise suppressor is gonna be a must for you. I play in drop a sharp into a triple x, with lots of gain, and if the xxl is anything like the xxx, then you're gonna be getting a lot of feedback and excess noise.

although im sure that the xxl will sound fine, although i've never played one, it would be worth it in the long run to save up the extra money for a tube head. you shouldnt have to save up too much more, if you get a used 5150 head or something similar. you'll probably be much happier with it.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
How is the 5150? I thought maybe it would be lacking in the distortion catagory.
Esp M1007
ISP Decimator
5150 III
Basson 412
Quote by ironman606
How is the 5150? I thought maybe it would be lacking in the distortion catagory.

HELLS NO! Retardedly gainy and lots of punch. You will need a NS for this though, most definitely.

**EDIT** Just realized, the HELLS NO was for the "lacking in the distortion category" remark.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by whiteraven119
All I know about the Peavey XXL is that it's the solid state "cousin" of the XXX, a fairly decent tube amp.

Being solid state, it won't be as warm or natural sounding as a tube amp. It will be harsher, which may or may not be what you want for certain styles of metal.

Wrong.. Have you ever played an XXL? Seriously.. have you ever played one?

Just because it's solid state doesn't automatically mean it it's harsh. An XXL is very smooth sounding, maybe too much, and with three voices on each of the three channels, one of them on the clean channel being "warm," you have a lot of sounds to choose from. It's a very underrated amp.

Quote by AxSilentxLine
I can't say i've used one before but it's a hybrid amp so you can probably do better. That being said I haven't played one so I could be totally wrong but if you like Peavey and you want to get Death Metal i'd start by looking at a 6505, used if you're on a budget

Wrong.. it's solid state baby

Quote by christheseven

I play live without a noise suppressor all the time and my rig is silent. If you're going to call us out for being stupid and arrogant pricks you should learn the difference between "your" and "you're" you dumb ass.
Bob is awesome. Go Bob!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Mazz-
But I think you should stick with a Line 6 Spider or like a Randall Warhead, a Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H, or one of the Ibanez Heads...try to stick with lower priced solid state amps...because if you have to spend the ammount of money it's going to cost you to get a good tube head, it better be something that's Worth the Couple Thousand Dollars it's going to Cost you (JUST FOR THE HEAD; WITH NO SPEAKER CABINET)

Ummmmmm, the XXL is a solid state amp, and a hell of a good one for that matter, and will do death metal quite well as well. And its LEAPS and BOUNDS better than a spider.

Why should he stick with a lower priced solid state when he get get a better solid state at a low price?
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Quote by ironman606

nope. the 5150 is geared towards hi-gain guitar playing. before you make any decisions though, try the amps out for yourself. compare the XXL to the 5150/6505 if there's one available to you. if you cant hear a difference, then just get the XXL. get whatever makes you happy.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Plus the XXL will sound better at low volumes when you can't crank it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
the XXL should sound great for you, it's the most tight low end you could imagine, which you'll need for drop B and drop A, and it can get all different kinds of metal distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by BobDetroit

Just because it's solid state doesn't automatically mean it it's harsh. An XXL is very smooth sounding, maybe too much, and with three voices on each of the three channels, one of them on the clean channel being "warm," you have a lot of sounds to choose from. It's a very underrated amp.
No need for hostility, man. I just said it wouldn't sound like a tube amp, I didn't necessarily say it would sound bad.

And, yes, actually, I have played one. Briefly, I'll admit, but still. I didn't think the amp sounded bad. I personally would take a tube amp over it any day of the week, but that's just my personal preference. If you dig the tone of it, though, that's all that matters.
Quote by BobDetroit

Wrong.. it's solid state baby

I play live without a noise suppressor all the time and my rig is silent. If you're going to call us out for being stupid and arrogant pricks you should learn the difference between "your" and "you're" you dumb ass.

well isn't it well for some!! But anybody with any sense won't knock using a supressor on the head. O and by the way the most gain I have this amp at is six. So that's not where hum is coming from. Electrical hum is always there. Can be eliminated with powered jacks though.

O and also a common fault with this amp is the dampening circuit. Some cases the amps don't work to their full power just as you pass about 4 on the master volume. This can be faulty transformer etc. It happened to mine and the only thing wrong was a loose connection to the dampening circuit. A simple fix.
Recommended threads
Peavey XXL
Krauser
Last post:
by AtaBorMan
peavey XXL
Metallica32791
Last post:
by Guitarmiester