it could work, doubt it has been done before, but sounds like a baaad idea.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Wrong board bro

and

I'm not sure how that would work, but in theory I think so.

The frets wouldn't interfere, being behind whats resonating and all.

I'd say go ahead and do it........for science!!!!!
it would work but why not just go fretless with fretlines instead?
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I've seen it on a bass before
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
could definitely be done. don't see why not. BUT one of the cool advantages of having a fretless is having super low action because there are no frets in the way. with frets from 1 to 11 you wouldn't be able to lower the action that far. besides that i don't see any problem with it. actually sounds pretty damn badass!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Hysteria25
I don't see why that wouldn't work, but what the **** is the point in it?

So you can still do chords on the lower strings without worrying about getting your fingers perfectly placed like you would with a full fretless, and still being able to do the cool slides and such on the high strings.
Quote by littlephil
So you can still do chords on the lower strings without worrying about getting your fingers perfectly placed like you would with a full fretless, and still being able to do the cool slides and such on the high strings.

I'm assuming by strings you mean frets?
No, EAD fretted, GBe fretless.
Just realised I didnt read TS's idea properly
TS's idea is better. I though he meant top 3 strings fretted, bottom 3 fretless.
has Scott Ian not got a jackson where the bottom half of the neck is fretless?
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
could definitely be done. don't see why not. BUT one of the cool advantages of having a fretless is having super low action because there are no frets in the way. with frets from 1 to 11 you wouldn't be able to lower the action that far. besides that i don't see any problem with it. actually sounds pretty damn badass!

well i've played a '70 gibson les paul that had the frets worn down to pretty much nothing and they still served their purpose, so if you get really really flat fretwire it should allow for extremely low action anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes to a certain extent the old Caparison Venus was pretty much what you are thinking. Except that it became fretless at fret 15 and above. I'll see if I can steal a pic and show you.

Not too sure how it played and all since well to play the fretless part of the guitar well you needed to have long fingers.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

Woww.

I remember going to this particular music shop in Japan ;D (Ishyabashi) and twas the most kickass music store known to man
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I don't remember where but I saw a banjo set up in a similar way a while back, some bluegrass sort of band on TV. I mention it because at the point it became fretless there was actually a metal plate bolted on, I'm assuming at the same level as the frets.

I'm assuming it must have been for more sustain or maybe to stop the strings destroying the board, a problem I heard Jaco Pastorius had.
well i know it would work because i use to play the violin and that had no frets so i say go for it =]
I´ve seen this stock on an LP copy from a small company... let me see if I can find it.