I'm starting my next sorta big project: a full-band cover of Metallica's Broken, Beat and Scarred. I like the song, and I think the mixing on the album doesn't do it justice.

So, in my typical method of biting off more than I can chew, I decided to pull out my October issue of Guitar World and started copy/pasting the tab into guitar pro. The first post is probably going to be something to the effect of, "well why didn't you just download a tab, moron?" Anyways, I digress.

I don't actually OWN a drum set, so it'll be an almost full band cover. Does anyone know of any good, free drum machines? I've made some half decent drum tracks by using the RSE from Guitar Pro for snare, tom, and cymbals, and using standard MIDI for the kick drum, as heard here on the song Now We Die.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is my first sort of project like this.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
I'm assuming that you're using VST instruments? If so, download Native Instruments Kontakt Player/Library for free. That's got a couple of decent drums sounds on there. You could also use LM-7, that's pretty much a standard MIDI drum kit. But Kontakt is a sample player so it's better quality sound IMO.
Quote by Wednesday Bass
I'm assuming that you're using VST instruments? If so, download Native Instruments Kontakt Player/Library for free. That's got a couple of decent drums sounds on there. You could also use LM-7, that's pretty much a standard MIDI drum kit. But Kontakt is a sample player so it's better quality sound IMO.

Ehh... no. I'm actually REALLY new to home recording (well, recording in general) so i don't really have a clue about a lot of what you just said.

Let the flaming of my n00bish status begin...

use EZ Drummer bro, and download the Drumkit from Hell plugin for it aswell.
Tried that once, it HATED my laptop. Installed it and couldn't get it to run ever.

I know it gives great results (KillrBuckeye's originals really sold it for me), but I can't get it to work. Plus I'm on satellite and have limited download capabilities.