Page 1 of 4
If so, why? If not, why not? Do you feel you should either way?

I don't. I share the same mindset as Steve Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs e.g. if you want more money, get a better paying job.
I tip usually around 15-20% depending on the service. I mean, if they're absolutely horrible I won't tip.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Why should I? :S

With waiters/waitresses, they get PAID to be nice courteous, and bring people food. Should I start going around asking people for an extra 10% for neatly bringing them a document telling them how much their building is going to cost?
You should tip. Waiters/waitresses make the majority of their pay on tips. If the service sucks, then don't. But not tipping as a standard is just sorta rude.
Nikolas
I'll always tip unless the waiter's a dick or it's a pick-up instead of delivery.

Waiters have extremely shit pay so tipping helps alot.
Quote by gallagher2006

With waiters/waitresses, they get PAID to be nice courteous, and bring people food. Should I start going around asking people for an extra 10% for neatly bringing them a document telling them how much their building is going to cost?

Because they get paid very, very badly to do that.
I tip unless the service or the food is bad. Not less than 10%, always in cash.
Yes, But then I have experience waiting food. I also know a lot of people who wait food at resteraunts as a, "Low paid job," Have normally taken the job due to hard times and, as such, any tip is good. they live week to week on tips, to buy food and stuff.
Last edited by phan at Dec 21, 2009,
You've been making quite a few threads recently

And yeah, I tip, but only if the service was good. If I go to a restaurant and it takes them 30 minutes before a waiter comes up to me and asks what to order, then brings be the wrong stuff, I'm not gonna tip them.

Also if they do that subtle little cough when you've paid the bill and are taking the change back, the cough which suggests you are committing a crime by not tipping them. That really annoys me.
🙈 🙉 🙊
No, we pay our service staff proper wages over here.
That said if the service is really good I'll usually leave a 10-20% tip.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by gallagher2006

The tip is part of their payment. It's a stupid system but if you don't tip they don't really get paid what they're supposed to.

I tip about 35% if the bill is less than 20, more like 18-22% if it gets above 20-25 bucks.
Where I live, not tipping is just rude. "Hey, you did a great job serving me promptly, and the food was terrific! However, I believe that $2.25/hr is justifiable due to the fact that your just a server!"
Nikolas
Quote by captaincrunk
The tip is part of their payment. It's a stupid system but if you don't tip they don't really get paid what they're supposed to.

I tip about 35% if the bill is less than 20, more like 18-22% if it gets above 20-25 bucks.

Not strictly true. The employer has to pay minimum wage to the service staff and, often thats all they will get, but then can give tips on top of that. Legally tips can't form part of your basic wage but some places do this anyways.
I tip if I'm impressed by the service/food, but not as standard. That's what a tip is supposed to be.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by phan
Not strictly true. The employer has to pay minimum wage to the service staff and, often thats all they will get, but then can give tips on top of that. Legally tips can't form part of your basic wage but some places do this anyways.

I know this. But when you're signed on they don't say "You'll be making minimum wage," they say "You'll make 4 bucks an hour plus loads of cash in tips."

Also, no one pays minimum wage. Not Mcdonalds. Not walmart. Why should restaurant employees make any less? Minimum wage is just that, a minimum.
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
Where I live, not tipping is just rude. "Hey, you did a great job serving me promptly, and the food was terrific! However, I believe that $2.25/hr is justifiable due to the fact that your just a server!"

$2.25/hr?...Are the people serving you under 10 years old? Or living in 1975?

National mininum wage over here is, assumming that most waiters must be over 18, £4.83. Which is a fair wage for an entry level job, regardless of where you are working.
No, tips aren't done here, as the pay they get from doing their job is actually sufficient.
Quote by gallagher2006

National mininum wage over here is, assumming that most waiters must be over 18, £4.83. Which is a fair wage for an entry level job, regardless of where you are working.

What if you're an FY1 working in a hospital? I'd be hpping for a bit more, TBH.
Quote by gallagher2006

Actual minimum wage in the US is more like $7.00, however, tipped positions (ie, waiters) can be paid less.
I'll tip usually. Sometimes i dont have the change though, or if im waiting too long for food etc.

I would never tip a deliveryman, unless it was a case of me paying with a 20 and there being less than a euro in change
Quote by Das_Skittles
Actual minimum wage in the US is more like $7.00, however, tipped positions (ie, waiters) can be paid less.

7.25, and no they can't. At the end of the day, they must get at least minimum wage, but they also must receive a wage from their employer, even if they get more than minimum wage in tips.
Quote by Das_Skittles

That doesn't make sense. How can mininum wage be $7.00, yet have that wage justified by a variable? It just doesn't make sense. Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this argument? Nothing. It has nothing to do with this argument! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! No! Ladies and gentlemen in this argument, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! Mininum wage is a MININUM WAGE. It cannot rely on a variable.
Quote by captaincrunk
7.25, and no they can't. At the end of the day, they must get at least minimum wage, but they also must receive a wage from their employer, even if they get more than minimum wage in tips.

Of course in the service industry they can probably et away with paying them less, there's no-one to enforce it.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
i agree with you man, if they want more money, get a better job
better shred than dead
Quote by gallagher2006
That doesn't make sense. How can mininum wage be $7.00, yet have that wage justified by a variable? It just doesn't make sense. Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this argument? Nothing. It has nothing to do with this argument! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! No! Ladies and gentlemen in this argument, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! Mininum wage is a MININUM WAGE. It cannot rely on a variable.

I love you for this reference, but I you can technically be paid less than minimum wage. At a local restaurant here in Indiana, they pay $3 something an hour plus the tips you make, even though a "regular" job around here pays a minimum of $7.25. I don't know the situation in other states, except that it pays to drive to Illinois...lol

Quote by shredda2084

I wish it was that simple, my friend. When the unemployment rate is around 10%, it's not always that easy
Nikolas
Last edited by ROCK=ZEPPELIN at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by MightyAl
What if you're an FY1 working in a hospital? I'd be hpping for a bit more, TBH.

An entry level job is classed as something you can walk into with no qualifications, no references, no prior experience and nothing at all going for you. I'm not sure what a FY1 is, but I imagine it doesn't fall into this category as they will most likely be working in sterile/infected environments.

The only exceptions to this might be gift shop/canteen workers or porters, maybe.
If the food isn't too expensive and the service is good then yeah i have no problem with tipping, but if the service is crappy or i am short on money, i think to myself well, i don't have a job, and they do, so i can't tip.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I actually leave a stack of money on the table, tell the waiter/waitress that this stack will deduct the more less favorable service is offered. Then immediately poke and pick at their flaws and weaknesses regarding their employment and overall self and stature in order to raise the bar of service.

You want my tip? You are going to work for it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by ROCK=ZEPPELIN
I love you for this reference, but I you can technically be paid less than minimum wage. At a local restaurant here in Indiana, they pay $3 something an hour plus the tips you make, even though a "regular" job around here pays a minimum of $7.25. I don't know the situation in other states, except that it pays to drive to Illinois...lol

I wish it was that simple, my friend. When the unemployment rate is around 10%, it's not always that easy

Well, that's illegial. Phone the american equivalent of the HRM Revenue and get their asses thrown in jail.
I tip because it is the norm to do so. But I thinking tipping is bullshit. I think the restraunt owner should pay his servers a livable wage like the other industries have to.

Somewhat related, my Dad has told me that people do not tip in Europe. Is this true? I have never been anyway in Europe and don't know, and if I ever pop over I don't want to be a dick.
Quote by NoOne0507
I tip because it is the norm to do so. But I thinking tipping is bullshit. I think the restraunt owner should pay his servers a livable wage like the other industries have to.

Somewhat related, my Dad has told me that people do not tip in Europe. Is this true? I have never been anyway in Europe and don't know, and if I ever pop over I don't want to be a dick.

Again, you can't generalise "Europe". I've lived in both the UK and Spain, and they tip in both places. In Spain the norm is significantly less though, usually a couple of cents to make it up to the nearest euro.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Nelsean
I actually leave a stack of money on the table, tell the waiter/waitress that this stack will deduct the more less favorable service is offered. Then immediately poke and pick at their flaws and weaknesses regarding their employment and overall self and stature in order to raise the bar of service.

You want my tip? You are going to work for it.

You should be given a medal for your services to the food industry.
Quote by gallagher2006
An entry level job is classed as something you can walk into with no qualifications, no references, no prior experience and nothing at all going for you. I'm not sure what a FY1 is, but I imagine it doesn't fall into this category as they will most likely be working in sterile/infected environments.

The only exceptions to this might be gift shop/canteen workers or porters, maybe.

Never heard the epxression 'entry level job' before, TBH.

I got £3/hour at my first job.
Quote by shredda2084

The reserve army of labour and low social mobility in the USA makes that much easier said than done.
Quote by NoOne0507

Most people here don't tip as a custom because the servers are (or should be if their employer is working within the law) paid a fairly decent wage.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by MightyAl
Never heard the epxression 'entry level job' before, TBH.

I got £3/hour at my first job.

Really? It's really common over here to emphasise that no prior experience or qualifications is needed. They usually say this on the actual job advert.
Quote by gallagher2006
Really? It's really common over here to emphasise that no prior experience or qualifications is needed. They usually say this on the actual job advert.

Yes, but very few job ad's I've seen say 'entry level'.
I just think jobs that say 'no experience necessary' are likely to be shite.
Quote by MightyAl
Yes, but very few job ad's I've seen say 'entry level'.
I just think jobs that say 'no experience necessary' are likely to be shite.

"Entry Level" also implies that it's possible to progress through the company.

For example, a job working on the checkouts at a supermarket might advertise "entry level", and after a year you might be promoted to supervisor, then to assistant manager, and so on.
Here in Belgium we have a service fee in all restaurants, something like 10 percent. As far as tips go elsewhere, people tend to let you 'keep the change' if it's a few cents, but that's as far as it goes.
Page 1 of 4